Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

L.A.'s quake mystery: 2024 brings the most seismic activity in decades. Why now?

It's not your imagination: The ground beneath Southern California has been particularly unsteady as of late, with the region experiencing more moderate-sized earthquakes this year than it has in decades.

What precisely is fueling the sequence of shakers is not entirely clear, and officials warn that prior seismic activity does not necessarily mean more powerful temblors are imminent. But the series of modest shakers have many wondering what is going on.

"Earthquakes pop off around the state, and it's a little bit like popcorn that they hit — sometimes they bunch up for reasons that we don't understand," said Susan Hough, seismologist for the U.S. Geological Survey.

By the count of seismologist Lucy Jones, a Caltech research associate, Southern California has felt 15 independent seismic sequences this year, with at least one magnitude 4 or higher earthquake. That's the highest annual total in the last 65 years, surpassing the 13 seen in 1988.

The most recent — a magnitude 4 — struck before dawn Sunday near Ontario International Airport. Just in Ontario, one of the most populous cities in San Bernardino County, there have been five earthquakes of magnitude 3 or higher over the past month.

The Malibu area has been another hot spot. There was a magnitude 4.6 earthquake on Feb. 9, strong enough to toss items off a counter; and a magnitude 4.7 on Sept. 12 — startling enough that the city's mayor and his wife dove under their kitchen table.

Eastside L.A. was rattled by a magnitude 4.4 earthquake centered in El Sereno on Aug. 12 and a magnitude 3.4 on June 2.

A magnitude 5.2 earthquake, the strongest to strike the region in three years, shook Southern California on Aug. 6, with an epicenter northwest of the Grapevine. Another widely felt quake, magnitude 4.9, struck on July 29 about 13 miles northeast of Barstow.

The series of seismic disturbances has shaken the nerves of some Southern Californians — serving as an unpleasant reminder of the omnipresent threat of the Big One.

But experts caution that the latest quakes don't provide any additional clarity on the potential timing of such a cataclysm.

"Seismologists have spent decades trying to read the tea leaves to look for patterns. The seismic network was installed in Southern California 100 years ago because scientists thought that small earthquakes would show patterns before the big earthquakes happened. And that just didn't work out," Hough said.

One thing has been clear: "Nobody has found patterns that are statistically meaningful before big earthquakes happen," she said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2024 7:46 PM

It is a sign. End it all. Now.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2024 1:40 PM

Overthinking as usual, as humans are wont to do to.

I'm a living, 4.5 billion years old thing. Just like you, when older, I can't always control my bodily functions.

This is TMI, I know -

I've got stomach rumbles. I feel flatulence coming on. I'll have to pass gas with an assorted volcano eruption, or two, or three.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2024 1:46 PM

Aren't numerous smaller quakes preferable to one big destructive one?

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2024 2:02 PM

GOJIRA

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2024 2:21 PM

Mt. Baker up the coast in Washington State has been rumbling with earthquakes too.

I think that one of the volcanoes in either California, Oregon or Washington is ready to blow!

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2024 6:51 PM

R3 - that's what I would think too - but here ya go:

Small earthquakes don't release enough energy: Small earthquakes release some energy from fault lines, but not enough to prevent larger earthquakes. For example, it would take 32 magnitude 5 earthquakes, 1,000 magnitude 4 earthquakes, or 32,000 magnitude 3 earthquakes to equal the energy of one magnitude 6 earthquake.

I think they need to change the earthquake scale because it just doesn't relate how powerfully different a 4.0 and a 6.0 earthquake is. A 6 is 100x stronger than a 4. That's an insane difference.

5.0 are 10x stronger than 4.0 and it multiplies from there. So a 7.0 would be 1,000x stronger than a 4.0.

We are far too used to grading things on a 1-10 basis, where a 4-7 is a difference but not that different. Why the hell they use this for earthquakes is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2024 7:02 PM

Take it, earth. Hollywood is dying anyway. And if you've been there in the lash five years, you know there's nothing left to salvage.

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2024 7:26 PM

It's just Chrissy Metz excited and jumping up and down, silly.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2024 7:42 PM

[quote]Why now?

Why *not* now?

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2024 7:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!