Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

President Biden will travel to Florida to announce $600 million in hurricane recovery projects

President Joe Biden will travel on Sunday to Florida areas ravaged by the back-to-back hurricanes, and announce federal funding for projects to strengthen the electrical grid, according to the White House.

Biden will be touring St. Petersburg, one of the hardest hit Florida cities from Hurricane Milton last week, and reveal $612 million for six Department of Energy projects in the southeast.

Two of the projects are focused in Florida and provide a combined $94M in federal funds, according to the White House.

Gainesville Regional Utilities will use the funding to help mitigate the effects of increasingly extreme weather in north central Florida, "through storm hardening, as well as faster restoration through deployment of self-healing devices and tools that will enable more efficient and precise dispatching of field teams during outages," the White House said in a statement.

Switched Source, a private utility technology developer, will work with Florida Power and Light to deploy Phase-EQ, which "optimizes power flow in distribution circuits, will unlock over 200 MW of system capacity, and improve reliability on circuits serving communities that are most susceptible to prolonged outages," according to the White House.

"These investments are part of the president’s commitment to making long-term investments that protect, enhance, and upgrade our nation’s electric grid, especially in the face of extreme weather events," the White House said in a statement.

Hurricane Milton made landfall in Florida as a Category 3 storm on Wednesday evening. At least 16 people were killed in the storm and over a million remain without power.

Biden has spoken to numerous state and local officials, including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who he said was "very cooperative." When asked if he would meet with DeSantis on Sunday, Biden said yes so long as the governor was available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2024 7:54 PM

And yet these dumb fucking Florida MAGAT cunts keep voting Republican, all while rejecting Democrats in every single election.

Fuck them all to hell.

If it were up to me, I'd let them all suffer.

But President Biden is a decent man who always does the right thing.

Florida doesn't deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2024 12:52 PM

They should be on their hands and knees thanking President Biden for his help.

If Trump were President and it were a blue state suffering from a disaster, Trump would be WITHHOLDING federal funds, instead of releasing them.

Because he's spiteful, vindictive, evil and mean-spirited.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2024 1:31 PM

So, after giving tens of billions to Israel and Ukraine, his advisers think that a measly $600 million and a few photo ops are going to be enough to contain public outrage over his administration's shameful mishandling of every natural catastrophe in the last four years? This decrepit old vegetable's handlers truly think that most people have about as much cognitive ability as the walking corpse himself.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2024 1:32 PM

How's the weather in Moscow, R3?

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2024 1:36 PM

R4, I will let you know as soon as you tell me how it is in Langley, Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2024 1:52 PM

The buildings in OP’s link pic just shouldn’t be there.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2024 2:04 PM

President Biden will leave a lasting legacy as a GREAT President.

Trump will be discarded in the trash heap of history.

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2024 6:49 PM

[quote] And yet these dumb fucking Florida MAGAT cunts keep voting Republican, all while rejecting Democrats in every single election. Fuck them all to hell.

Sorry, fucktard @ R1, but St. Pete and Tampa are solidly [bold]blue[/bold] areas. I should know -- I lived there for 15 years.

But don't let me keep you from frothing at the mouth.

Now that I think about it, are you sure [italic]you're[/italic] not a Trumptard? They love to froth.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2024 7:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!