Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

State Fairs

Any good stories about your State Fair? Was it a big thing where you’re from? I grew up near our state capital and went nearly every year and go every year now as an adult.

Ever since I was a kid I’ve entered crafts and food I’ve made and I’m busy tonight working on my entries to take in tomorrow. I have done really well in the past and have lots of first place wins over the years. One year when I was 13 I won Best in Show for a quilt that I made and I think my grandmother, who taught me how to sew. the proudest of me for that than anything else I ever did.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2024 1:51 AM

So, you came out at 13?

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2024 1:34 AM

Oh heavens, 13? Much earlier than that, R1. When I was nine and icing a cake for my grandmother and she came over to inspect my work and looked at me saying, “Son, one day you’re going to make someone an excellent wife.”

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2024 1:40 AM

But did you raise a prize-winning hog named after a gay magazine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2024 1:41 AM

Our state fair is a great state fair--

It's the best state fair in our state!

It's dollars to doughnuts at our state fair!

It's the best state fair in our state!

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2024 1:45 AM

I ride balloon! Where my dolly?

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2024 1:48 AM

David Foster Wallace vividly and perfectly captured the culture of the midwestern state fair in his 1994 Harper's essay, "Ticket to the Fair."

RIP, DFW.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2024 1:49 AM

It makes me feel so gay in a melancholy way.

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2024 1:49 AM

Link to DFW reading from "Ticket to the Fair."

RIP, DFW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2024 1:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!