Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Oscars may get rid of a single host & change it to numerous stars doing stunts, acting, and music performances

Would you prefer random stars doing a stunt, a comedy routine, a musical performance or an acting sketch instead of having a traditional host?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2024 12:58 AM

Saturday Night Live walked so the Oscars….

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2024 4:24 AM

I’m sure their five viewers will welcome the change.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2024 4:26 AM

To me the Oscars lack a swarm of A listers like they used to have. Don’t get me wrong you still have a solid amount of A listers who present each year but it seems like back in the day EVERYONE who walked on the stage was famous famous sans maybe some of the nominees. But it hit me, in the past, stars in popular media became A list faster. Now it’s so much media content out there you either come out with a bang as this huge thing, usually becoming a novelty after that, or you slowly build up your popularity like Margo Robbie. This stunt they’re pulling is really showing the death of the A list star.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2024 4:28 AM

Ain’t nobody give a good gaddamn!

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2024 4:28 AM

[quote] & change it to numerous stars doing stunts,

I want to see Dame judi Dench thrown out of a airplane!

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2024 4:33 AM

Could they merge with the Miss America pageant and do a combined show?

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2024 4:35 AM

Only if there are plate-spinners.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2024 4:38 AM

If they really wanted to get ratings back up they would have Will Smith host and he would have to guess the winner of EVERY category. Each one that he got wrong the winner should have to slap the shit out of him upon receiving their award. This basic ass country would love that.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2024 4:40 AM

Stunts?

I’m in!

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2024 4:42 AM

Because we so want to see Miss Jessica Chastain doing a monologue from Hedda Gabler.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2024 4:43 AM

JESUS! 🙄

Then again, I like your idea r8. 😂

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2024 5:26 AM

Hollywood is dying. The Oscars don't matter anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2024 5:28 AM

Bring back the swimsuit competition!

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2024 5:39 AM

Clint Eastwood has agreed to duplicate this performance. I'm watching!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2024 4:35 PM

I think these shows are more for the sponsors than the viewers. These things are about as relevant as soap operas nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2024 4:43 PM

People no longer tune into the Academy Awards because the films they honor tend not to have broad mass appeal anymore, the awards ecosystem has eliminated suspense with most winners anointed by the ceremony, and celebrity culture is oversaturated. Nothing will make the Academy Awards more interesting or relevant. It is an industry ceremony the industry was fortunate enough to fool the public with for so long into believing matters.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2024 4:49 PM

Didn't the globes try this? Even the Oscars? I seem to remember.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2024 4:51 PM

The 2024 Oscars was the highest ratings they had in 4 years, with 19.5 million viewers. I get a kick out of a particular DLer claiming almost 20 million people is “no one”

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2024 5:05 PM

Essentially, return it to the format used during those horrible early 70s presentations.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2024 5:31 PM

They need to make the Oscars more classy and more elitist.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2024 5:31 PM

The film industry killed itself. 2023 was a slightly better year for semi-accessible, good movies. But overall, it’s fairly rare that I’m very interested in a movie coming out. And I used to go to the movies every weekend and host an Oscar party every year. Comic book movies killed the industry.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2024 5:33 PM

Glenn is going to perform DA BUTT once again to the delight of all!

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2024 5:44 PM

Does anyone still go to the movies regularly? Before the internet and streaming, I used to go several times a week.

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2024 5:46 PM

I keep saying streaming is a completely different breed than movie theaters or even cable and network TV. It's creating product that regardless of content is going have limited, niche audiences. It's not going to have the same impact or longevity that older models have had.

2024 oscars drew huge ratings because of Barbie and Oppenheimer, which were your standard box office smashes. Same with Black Panther a few years back. You give audiences what they want, and they will watch.

No one is going to watch an award show because of a Saorise Ronan or Amy Adams movie is nominated.

This year might do big depending on the box office success of Wicked. As well as if more identifiable names like Pamela Anderson and Demi Moore get nominated.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2024 5:53 PM

[quote]As well as if more identifiable names like Pamela Anderson and Demi Moore get nominated.

This would make the Oscars the most exciting event of the year!

Unfortunately, that year would be 1992.

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2024 6:00 PM

R24 it depends on interest. The Oscars will continue to happen whether they have 20 million viewers or 10 million viewers. They aren’t going anywhere. And the Academy will nominate what they feel should be.

Barbie’s nominations were a joke outside of maybe two of them.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2024 6:03 PM

I wish RDJ had won for Zodiac instead of Oppenheimer.

He’s electrifying in “Zodiac.”

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2024 8:39 PM

So Vaudeville?

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2024 8:56 PM

La La Land!

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2024 12:28 AM

Laugh In! Meets the Oscars!

by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2024 12:30 AM

R29, 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2024 12:30 AM

R30. You bet your sweet bippy.

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2024 12:36 AM

Yeah. What a novelty, the thought of having actual members of the film community hosting the Academy Awards (?!).

by Anonymousreply 33October 13, 2024 12:48 AM

Please don't let it make the show longer.

by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2024 12:53 AM

I don’t care since I don’t even go to the movies anymore. Most movies are shit 💩 and way too expensive. Why don’t they just have the Oscars on the wreck of the TITANIC?

by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2024 12:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!