Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

South America Vacation Ideas?

I’m working on preliminary plans for a trip next year, and would love your input. I’m more of a city explorer, food and culture lover. Beaches don’t do much for me, though I love being near the ocean. I’m torn between Montevideo and Lima right now, though I’m open to other cities.

Any suggestions, Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 36October 13, 2024 12:42 AM

Buenos Aires for food and culture. And hot guys.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2024 3:04 PM

Brazil Op.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2024 3:09 PM

Montevideo is very pleasant, and has a good gay scene plus a lot of beautiful classic architecture. There's also a great bike path all along the waterfront that goes for miles. Its also a four hour ferry ride from Buenos Aires which as R1 says is well worth seeing. Montevideo is basically a smaller, quieter version of Buenos Aires in many respects. And both have hot guys

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2024 3:23 PM

Argentina and Antarctica

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2024 3:25 PM

Just be careful you don't run into Moriarty in Montevideo. Rumor has it they hanged the wrong man...

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2024 3:26 PM

Santiago in Chile is also worth seeing, and its close to the Andes, you can get day trips right up into the mountains and see condors. Much of it is quite attractive too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2024 3:30 PM

San Carlos de Bariloche in the Andes is a Swiss Paradise. Beautiful national park and lake. Much skiing there in our summer.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2024 3:36 PM

Check out the Gold Museum in Lima, OP.

An incredible collection!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2024 9:26 PM

I don't think there's enough to see in Montevideo for a full vacation. You can easily do Buenos Aires and Montevideo combined - there's a ferry called BuqueBus between the two countries - but I think the ferry only goes to Colonia and then it's a 2 hour bus ride from there. Flights between BA and Montevideo are cheap - that may be a faster option.

There's really not much to see on the ferry - so you're not missing out on views by taking a plane.

Colombia's tourism has soared and supposedly has a great gay scene. That's been on my list for awhile.

Lima, Peru has become a gastronomical powerhouse with several restaurants in the top 20 or 50 in the world.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2024 9:35 PM

R9 the ferry goes direct when I was there about 5-6 years ago, but you're right in that there isnt much to see on it. And yes, you'd want to do Buenos Aires and Montevideo as one vacation together, Montevideo isnt that big

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2024 1:43 AM

R10 - did you go to Punta Del Este? That's the glamorous beach spot for Uruguay. Never made it there, but it's supposed to be very nice - looks kind of small to me though.

Very much the 'it' place for wealthy South Americans and the jet set. That could be an stop to extend the vacation in Uruguay.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2024 2:06 AM

[quote] Uruguay

Ur-a-gay. Fags!

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2024 2:09 AM

Buenos Aires has the best cemetary - I spent 2 days there.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2024 2:34 AM

You can combine Montevideo with Punta del Este. Outside Punta, there is nudist beach (Chihuahua Beach) that has a gay cruising spot in the dunes and a little cabana like club on the beach with food, drinks and music. A very International crowd. Not too many Americans. Speaking Spanish is a plus and you would want to rent a car to visit La Barra, Ronda, and José Ignacio along he coast. There's an art scene there and it's laid back and lovely. It would be great to combine Buenos Aires with Uruguay. Punta has an airport and the flight to BA is very short. I agree that Montevideo is not a city to spend a more than a couple of days visiting but there are wonderful options if you explore the Uruguayan coast and beaches. The food in Uruguay is not great but you'll have Buenos Aires for that.

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2024 4:41 AM

For historic architecture:

Buenos Aires has enormous riches of amazing architecture in rich variety from the early 20thC. Some of the best of it's type anywhere and with some innovative forms.

Lima has astonishing Spanish colonial architecture, wonderful stuff, and unspoiled.

Montevideo has a relatively small group of monumental buildings, some very interesting. Unfortunately there is much disregard to saving residential buildings and more ordinary types of old buildings and many are in recent years they are being demolished rapidly, replaced by cheap and flashy buildings of no quality that look shabby before they are completed.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2024 8:45 AM

Spend a week sailing around the Galapagos islands. V expensive but V worth it.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2024 9:13 AM

R11 never got to Punta Del Este, pity as it looks as if it would have been worth it and its only a two hour drive. Could also cycle it as a nice day ride along the coast. I rented a shitty bike from the hotel in Montevideo and did a coastal ride up as far as Parque Roosevelt and then back to the port and back to the hotel, about 55 km all up, took me about 2-3 hours

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2024 11:48 AM

Gurl! Dare to dream! Take that trip to Venezuela! You only go around once!

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2024 12:27 PM

You can do a weekend trip to Ushuaia, Patagonia to see the penguins and whales.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2024 2:25 PM

I agree that Santiago looks magnificent. It seems when you’re in the city the view of the Andes is always towering above you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2024 3:22 PM

South America offers a diverse range of travel experiences. For nature lovers, a trip to the Amazon Rainforest or exploring the Patagonian landscapes in Argentina and Chile is ideal. Adventure seekers can hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in Peru or go sandboarding in the Atacama Desert. For cultural experiences, visit cities like Buenos Aires for tango, Rio de Janeiro for Carnival, or Colombia’s Cartagena for colonial architecture. The Galápagos Islands in Ecuador provide unique wildlife experiences, while the salt flats of Bolivia offer stunning, surreal landscapes.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2024 4:28 PM

Yes - there are a lot of options - I would say you need to write down the options listed here, do some research and rank them. You'll only be able to do 2 or 3 max.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2024 4:54 PM

R21 = LATAM Tourist Board

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2024 4:58 PM

Cartagena

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2024 6:07 PM

What’s the gay scene like in Falkland / Malvinas islands ?

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2024 6:38 PM

Thanks all! I’ve been watching videos online and I’m leaning toward Lima for the food and architecture. It’s a trip for my 60th birthday, so not too concerned about the gay scene.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2024 6:53 PM

Lima seems a great choice for those interests, OP/R26. The Baroque architecture is superb and surprising (and I live in Spain), and great food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2024 7:15 PM

With Lima you can easily take some time to fly to Cuzco and explore the Incan city and take a day trip to Machu Picchu, which is unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2024 7:56 PM

So, OP, if you go to Lima, Peru, do not under any circumstance be tempted to order an Inca Kola. Super sweet, liquid pink bubblegum flavor.

This ghoulish gunk is the foulest tasting soft drink in the world! Trust!

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2024 8:04 PM

PERU: Pre-colonial wonders of the world. Amazon jungle. Colonial Cusco.

Then food & night life & sex in any of a dozen cities.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2024 8:08 PM

If you can afford it , do a Belmond trip in Peru. It’s nice having a driver and a guide.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2024 10:51 PM

[quote]Buenos Aires has the best cemetary - I spent 2 days there.

Shame on you! You call yourself an "old school goth" and you don't know how to spell "cemetery"?

Go back to school, goth.

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2024 11:29 PM

r32 He's taking about the Recoleta Cemetery. Eva Duarte Peron's mausoleum is in there. Hers is grand but there are some truly magnificent ones nearby.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2024 11:43 PM

And that excuses the misspelling of "cemetery"?

You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer, either.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2024 11:53 PM

Iguazu - you can knock out three countries (Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay) and the falls are not to be missed.

by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2024 12:05 AM

Iguuzuuzuu.

by Anonymousreply 36October 13, 2024 12:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!