Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Watched a few episodes of ‘’The Flying Nun’’

Can’t believe I followed this show as a kid. Even Sally didn’t want to do it.An actor step father urged her to do it to further her career. Hard to watch-preposterous concept. Mariam Hopkins made a cameo-OMG

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2024 3:14 AM

My brother watched it when he was a kid and called it The Flying Nut.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2024 12:13 AM

no wonder Baby Boomers are so fucked up

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2024 12:20 AM

What else was she going to do... "Klute"? She always looked 15.

My oldest sister was hooked on her series, "The Girl With Something Extra" (probably because of dreamy John Davidson).

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2024 12:20 AM

Davidson was hot-was…

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2024 12:24 AM

[quote]Mariam Hopkins

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2024 12:25 AM

Who cares-she’s dead. ( hope you will be too)

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2024 12:28 AM

Alejandro Ray made my pre teen weenie tingle.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2024 12:29 AM

Same here, OP. :) It just was a product of its time

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2024 12:30 AM

She was a DC, not an OMG

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2024 12:32 AM

I liked the show as a kid and I bought the premise of the hat and weight combo that made her fly. I secretly tried to make a copy of Sister Bertrille's habit but in a house with 10 kids it wasn't easy.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2024 12:42 AM

The original novelette by Tere Rios was charming. The TV series was actually better than it had any right to be -mostly due to the strong principal cast and guest stars. Midway through the first season they gave up on the Singing Nun/Sound of Music rip-off and dropped the bad musical numbers, and things improved considerably.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2024 12:43 AM

I had the SALLY FIELD SINGS THE FLYING NUN lp.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2024 12:54 AM

Aint' it a kick, R12?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2024 1:05 AM

We also watched sitcoms about a millionaire moving to the midwest and growing rutabagas with his glamorous but useless-as-a-farmwife wife, a hillbilly family who struck it rich and moved to Beverly Hills, and a POW camp where the prisoners were really in charge and running resistance operations behind enemy lines. Fuck reality.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2024 1:25 AM

☝🏼😎

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2024 1:27 AM

It certainly didn’t hurt her career.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2024 1:29 AM

I always wondered which headdress she would be wearing in each scene - the cornette or the wimple?

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2024 1:36 AM

It kind of did actually. But she persevered and proved that she was an extremely capable actress.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2024 1:36 AM

Yes Joanne Woodward said when Sally came in to audition for Sybil, she thought it was a joke. The Flying Nun?!

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2024 1:39 AM

How is Joanne Woodward these days?

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2024 1:49 AM

Pretty spry for 94, R20. Is there any truth to the rumor she had a dildo made from a life-cast of Paul's cock?

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2024 1:52 AM

I was in love with Field and loved this show as a kid. About twenty years ago, I bought the DVD set for Season 1 and Season 2 - sad to say, they never released the final season on DVD. I enjoyed watching the DVDs (remembered most of them scene by scene) but something was lost over the years (unlike other sitcoms from back then which I still enjoyed watching on DVD and they still had that magic to them).

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2024 1:57 AM

Alejandro Rey was good looking but at the same time his teeth looked like dentures.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2024 2:02 AM

Any truth to the rumors that Alejandro Rey was gay? I've read them in a few places, but I recall someone asking Sally Field about them and she laughed them off...

If he wasn't, he should have been. He really was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2024 2:07 AM

[quote] Is there any truth to the rumor she had a dildo made from a life-cast of Paul's cock?

Well, it wouldn't go in very far, I can tell you that much.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2024 2:09 AM

Sister Bertrille and Carlos had sexual chemistry, but I'm not sure that was what they were going for.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2024 2:09 AM

R23 I believe he was married a few times, so probably not as gay as you'd like him to be.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2024 2:12 AM

I remember reading that Madeline Sherwood (Mother Superior) encouraged Sally to study at Actors Studio. Madeline had quite a career.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2024 2:16 AM

Sherwood from Cat on a hot tin roof- ‘’It was the punch bowl’’

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2024 2:21 AM

[quote]Hard to watch-preposterous concept.

Define hard-to-watch-preposterous concepts. What about an astronaut finding a genie in a bottle, an advertising executive married to a witch, a talking horse, Jerry Van Dyke's mother being reincarnated as a car, or a Martian living with Bill Bixby?

The only hard-to-watch-preposterous concept 60s TV sitcom I've seen is "It's About Time."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2024 2:35 AM

Sherwood appeared on Broadway in the Richard Rodgers - Stephen Sondheim musical Do I Hear A Waltz? shortly before The Flying Nun.

Marge Redmond had a small role in Alfred Hitchcock's final film, Family Plot. She was also in that perennial DL favorite, The Trouble With Angels.

Both were excellent actresses who rose above the material.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2024 2:36 AM

Good reply R14! I loved Green Acres and my dad liked Mash. Memories!

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2024 2:39 AM

Sally Field was charming and magnetic and “The Flying Nun” was a hit, ran for something like three seasons. ABC needed to put something into production quickly for her when they belatedly realized she was a natural with star quality. They had canceled her first series “Gidget” for poor ratings, only to see it become a top ten hit when it was shown in reruns during the summer. It was too late to get that production team back together and a project that was ready to go to pilot was . . . “The Flying Nun.”

I recommend her memoir. She tells a fantastic story about being in the middle of a particularly witless scene in “The Flying Nun” when she suddenly hit a wall and couldn’t go on. She was exhausted and dispirited and couldn’t continue. She was shooting it with Madeleine Sherwood, who played her Mother Superior. Sherwood had been a civil rights advocate, studied at the Actor’s Studio and had appeared in two movie versions of Tennessee Williams plays. Sherwood immediately stopped the scene, spoke to the director and production was shut down for the day.

She understood that Sally had reached the limit of inspiration for this childish material and urged her to attend a couple of open evenings at the Actor’s Studio. Sally had considerable natural talent but she needed tools to keep going and see her through her work when the material was as poor as what they were getting week in and week out for 20 odd episodes a season..

So Field went and it changed her life, she became a pet of Strasberg’s and was on her way to “Sybil,” which won her an Emmy and completely changed the trajectory of her career.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2024 2:41 AM

Marge Redmond was also Angie's standby in Sweeney Todd and went on several times.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2024 3:12 AM

Marge was married to Jack Weston (until their divorce.)

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2024 3:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!