Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Nobody Wants This’ is a huge surprise hit for Netflix, leading to a season 2 renewal

But why are they hiring new showrunners when the show was successful?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2024 11:53 PM

Gee, could it be because it was quite bizarrely attacked as "antisemitic" solely for its use of the word "shiksa," never mind that most of the cast and producers are Jewish? (It starred Tovah FFS!)

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2024 7:55 PM

This was a surprising snooze-fest. Kristen Bell should have limited on screen time. I don't think she has the charisma, talent etc. to be a front-runner on a TV show. She's cute, in very small doses.

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2024 8:30 PM

She was the star of the beloved Veronica Mars.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2024 8:32 PM

I liked her in this and I usually never like her. I thought the first half of the season was actually great but once they got serious it got kinda boring

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2024 8:34 PM

[quote]Gee, could it be because it was quite bizarrely attacked as "antisemitic" solely for its use of the word "shiksa," never mind that most of the cast and producers are Jewish? (It starred Tovah FFS!)

I've just googled that and there is nothing online about it being "antisemitic" or "racist" solely for the word "shiksa". What multiple people say is that the depiction of non convert ethnically Jewish women is stereotypical and regressive. OMG what a surprise the hot rabbi is interested in a beautiful White/European convert when the alternative is ethnically and culturally Jewish woman.

Hadley Freeman said it reminded her of The Big Sick where an Pakistani man picked an exicing liberal white woman over all the annoying Pakistani hag women featured in it. She compares it to the tropes used by Woody Allen and Judd Apatow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2024 8:47 PM

Adam Brody is hotter with age

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2024 8:59 PM

Why did Tovah's character speak like a first generation American, Nazi concentration camp survivor? If Brody's character is 40. Mom is 60. Not 95.

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2024 9:11 PM

Because her mom probably spoke like that.

Have you ever interacted with some Jewish people who are only around Jewish people most of their time? They have their own schools etc. and all. They speak different than us usually

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2024 9:21 PM

Weak logic, R8. The series is chock full of hoary, dated stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2024 9:25 PM

How is reality weak logic? Maybe break out of your bubble and visit Jewish places.

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2024 9:28 PM

They renew this, but cancel the excellent Kaos. I call bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2024 9:30 PM

[quote]It starred Tovah FFS!

Yes, but was she circumcised?

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2024 9:33 PM

R11 it’s about people watching.

by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2024 9:43 PM

I wondered if Feldshuh’s character was supposed to be Israeli. I honestly was more distracted by the fact that Bell’s character - an upper-middle-class woman who grew up in Los Angeles - was so completely clueless about Jewish culture. Like half the girls she would have gone to school with would have had Bat Mitzvahs.

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2024 9:49 PM

The Jewish population in LA is 17% in modern day, which is a lot more than it was in the 90s and 00s, when she would have been very young r14.

Also, knowing Jewish people doesn’t mean you partake in anything of their culture. I’m from Brooklyn, which has always had a lot of Jews, and I’ve never been to a Bat Mitzvah etc.

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2024 9:56 PM

R5, you're either not doing googling correctly, or you're bullshitting. (Or you're looking in the wrong place, given that Britain isn't exactly a hotbed of Judaism. This isn't the Guardian's wheelhouse.) You're also being overly literal relative to obvious hyperbole. It took me 20 seconds to find this piece in the NYT:

--------------- Nobody Wants This’ Pits Jewish Women Against ‘Shiksas.’ Nobody Wins.

The derisive word for a male gentile is “shegetz.” I didn’t know the term until I married one. Even though my family is 100 percent Jewish and my brother took a DNA test to prove it, up to that point, I had heard only the female equivalent of the word: “shiksa.”

When I heard my community of mostly secular Jews use the word “shiksa" growing up, it wasn’t really used as a slur; it was used as a referent for the conventional American ideal of beauty. It was understood that, as Jewish women, we purportedly existed outside this ideal. We were assumed to be emasculating scolds, obligations men were saddled with rather than women to be desired.

Our looks were all wrong and in need of expensive plastic surgery or hair treatments to even attempt to measure up. The feeling was summed up by a line from a throwaway character, apparently post-makeover, in a Season 2 episode of “Sex and the City” that first aired in 1999: “Well, you know, my boyfriend and I were really compatible, except for one thing. He liked thin, blond WASP-y types, so … now I am.”

That’s because the shiksa stereotype looms large in American pop culture as an object of Jewish male desire. It was largely constructed in the mid-20th century by Philip Roth, Woody Allen and Neil Simon. Writing in 2013 for The Los Angeles Review of Books, Menachem Kaiser described the stereotype succinctly: "By the 1980s, what I’ll call the Allenesque Jew/shiksa split was entrenched: Jewish = nonathletic, brainy, neurotic, pasty, dark-haired, profoundly unhealthy parental relationship, usually from the New York area; shiksa = healthy, WASP-y, carefree, blond, supportive (if judgmental) parents, from the Midwest or from a home that might as well be in the Midwest."

[quote]What multiple people say is that the depiction of non convert ethnically Jewish women is stereotypical and regressive.

Yes, and the word that LITERALLY describes precisely this is, yes, "shiksa." This is roughly akin to complaining about Joe Locke's role in "Agatha All Along" because the makeup department decided to make him look "faggy" with kohl or eyeliner: taking offense where none whatsoever was meant, and getting riled up over stupid shit when the Jewish world has MUCH, MUCH BIGGER PROBLEMS at present.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2024 10:06 PM

It was mildly enjoyable. I have a weakness for easy, breezy romcoms and this was very much in that world. Not the best version like, say, While You Were Sleeping. But totally fine.

It did feel more like a four or five hour movie than a TV series. Because of that, I can't quite see how it will work for a season two, however. But I suppose I'll watch the first episode of season two.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2024 10:10 PM

Well they are playing out Emily in Paris to death so why not this shit, too?

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2024 10:16 PM

I didn’t get the hype. It was okay. Not amazing.

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2024 10:20 PM

they had great chemistry and a good storyline.

I'm sorry that it will be nothing close to what it was in the first season. sad.

I really liked it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2024 10:53 PM

Yes. I liked it too. I did feel the second half of the season wasn’t as interesting as the first half but it was still great regardless. It helps that Kristen Bell is very likable as is Adam Brody.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2024 10:55 PM

I don’t know why people are offended by the shiksa thing. That’s how a lot of traditional Jewish people view non-Jewish women and most Jewish people won’t marry someone who isn’t Jewish. Hell, there are some who won’t marry someone who wasn’t born into Judaism, but most expect you to convert if anything unless they themselves choose to leave it behind.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2024 10:57 PM

Can they reconsider?? i loved the cast and storyline.

Please don't change this. It's the first sitcom I've gotten into for awhile.

Gives me hope that love will triumph over all.

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2024 10:58 PM

Had no idea what this movie/tv show is about. But the Jewish man and the blonde non-jew story has been done to death and screams self loathing.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2024 11:02 PM

Made it to the second episode before I gave up.

So many stereotypes, so little time!

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2024 11:11 PM

What stereotypes? We don’t even meet his mom until like episode 7

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2024 11:13 PM

JFC, R26 -- a blonde "shiksa" in and of itself is a stereotype.

Do I have to lead you by the hand?

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2024 11:23 PM

There aren't any schvartzes in this, are there?

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2024 11:34 PM

Brava, R16!

I enjoy well written comments from smart women.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2024 11:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!