Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ryan Gosling was fat? I don't recall him ever being fat.

Saoirse Ronan recently appeared on the “Happy Sad Confused” podcast and remembered the dramatic casting switch that occurred during the making of Peter Jackson’s “The Lovely Bones.” The director originally cast Ryan Gosling as the father of Ronan’s protagonist, but the actor was replaced by Mark Wahlberg just days before filming after Jackson disagreed with Gosling’s decision to gain 60 pounds for the role.

Jackson never started filming “The Lovely Bones” with Gosling, but Ronan revealed the cast had already “done some prep” by the time Gosling got fired. Ronan had bonded with Gosling and was sad to see him ago.

“I think I just loved Ryan and his dog, George, and I was just sad that, you know, he wasn’t gonna be around,” Ronan said. “But I think the reasons why they parted were totally valid, and I’ve spoken to both [Gosling and Jackson] now and it happens. Do you know what I mean? It’s not personal, necessarily. It’s like sometimes you’re just not on the same page.”

“Mark was able to step in, and he was a father,” Ronan added. “He was a father to, like, I don’t know, three kids? He probably had an experience of that that Ryan felt he didn’t. Ryan was like 27. He was young.”

Ronan would get the chance to work with Gosling a few years later when he cast her to lead his directorial debut “Lost River.”

Gosling spoke to THR a year after “The Lovely Bones” opened in theaters and revealed his firing was due to his weight gain. The actor explained: “We had a different idea of how the character should look. I really believed he should be 210 pounds. We didn’t talk very much during the preproduction process, which was the problem.”

“It was a huge movie, and there’s so many things to deal with, and he couldn’t deal with the actors individually,” Gosling added. “I just showed up on set, and I had gotten it wrong. Then I was fat and unemployed.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2024 4:05 PM

It’s been known for many years he landed the father role for The Lovely Bones but chose to get fat for the role. He wasn’t fat essentially but did it for the part. The studio nor Director wanted him to but he did anyway so they replaced him with Marky Mark last minute.

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2024 6:25 PM

Dayum 60lbs. Why did he get fat when the role didn’t require it. I’m type confused. I guess he heard that old trope that the Academy loves good acting + uglification.

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2024 6:27 PM

R2 he was 26 years old at the time and playing a character who had a 14 year old daughter. The character is in his late 30s but Gosling was 26 and felt he looked too young to be believed to be the father of a 14 year old and live the nice middle class Midwestern life he was to portray. The director told him not to worry because they would make him look a bit older with makeup so he doesn’t look so young but Gosling decided to take matters into his own hands, growing a beard out and gaining tons of weight to make himself look older.

The director fired him and cast Mark Wahlberg ONE DAY before shooting began. So kudos to Marky Mark because it’s one of the few performances of his I liked.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2024 6:36 PM

R3 ughh, thanks. I jut now realized who he reminds me of with his new plastic surgery. The neighbor bitch on Married with Children. That’s who he is morphin to into middle age.

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2024 6:42 PM

He was a chub for Lars and the Real Girl (2007).

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2024 6:44 PM

I’m sure he was probably thinking of Russell Crowe in The Insider when he played someone much older than himself and gained weight for the role.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2024 6:46 PM

He said once he gained weight by drinking litres of defrosted ice cream

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2024 7:43 PM

Here he is at his max weight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2024 2:47 PM

[quote] Then I was fat and unemployed.”

Datalounge motto.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2024 2:51 PM

Why did he go ahead and gain 60 lbs for a role without discussing it with the director?

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2024 2:53 PM

R10 That Notebook arrogance. Cunt thought he was hot shit.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2024 3:12 PM

He sounds insufferable. Never once got the appeal of this guy.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2024 3:25 PM

It helps when you're most of the way there already.

IF the director likes fatties.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2024 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!