Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Your Go To Mahler Conductor

Who is your go-to Mahler conductor?

Mahler, his music, and his recordings are a hot topic for classical fans. Who is your go-to Mahler conductor?

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2024 8:47 AM

Sadly, your poll didn't list any of my favorite Mahler conductors. For living conductors, I'm most impressed with Gustavo Dudamel. His Symphony 2 is transcendent. I've also discovered the joys of Otto Klemperer, another great conductor not listed by you. I really like Chailly's 9 and 10 recordings, but I still haven't heard his others.

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2024 6:06 PM

R1 Sorry! I thought of Klemperer. and I tried to give then "household names."

Dudamel is good.

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2024 6:11 PM

I just saw Yannick Nezet-seguin with the Philadelphians in Mahler three and it was AMAZING. big fan

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2024 6:12 PM

They are all so different:

Walter actually knew Mahler and was probably the closest to what Mahler actually wanted.

Tennstedt played Mahler like a fast moving locomotive

Bernstein was dramatic

There is nothing like the brass playing with Solti in Chicago.

Abbado in Berlin was incredibly posh.

MTT in San Francisco was recorded in the early 2000's, it is very introspective and somber.

Chaily and Maazel played Mahler a little too slow for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2024 6:25 PM

That you, C?

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2024 6:46 PM

Voted Abbado because his BPO DG records are my imprint for M1, M5, M6 & M7, the most for any single conductor.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2024 6:52 PM

I'll drink to that! And one for Mahler.

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2024 6:54 PM

Until I read this thread I thought Niles and Frasier Crane were wildly exaggerated humorous charicatures. Apparently they walk among us.

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2024 6:56 PM

Oh dearing myself: *caricatures

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2024 7:00 PM

MTT's Mahler 6 in San Francisco was recorded live on September 12, 2001. One of the most heartbreaking recordings, you can just hear the orchestra's sorrowfulness and mourning of the lives lost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2024 8:54 PM

He IS Your Go To Mahler Conductor!

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2024 11:00 PM

How about Bernard Haitink and the Concertgebouw? Haven’t heard those recordings in years, but I remember liking them a lot.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2024 1:25 AM

R12 Haitink is a very good Mahler conductor. I wanted to add him, but wasn't sure who to cut. May Kubelik?

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2024 1:36 AM

I don't find any of Kubelik's Mahler recordings to be all that special -but he was the first boxed-set that I was able to purchase, and therefore has a special place in my heart.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2024 1:49 AM

Solti, Tennstedt, Abbado and some others hit the mark. (I'm counting orchestral works, including the choral symphonies, not lieder recordings, not being as familiar.)

But I put Bernstein because with most of his recordings, even with the less-than-great audio at times, because he's the Ella of conducting. The canonical sense of the work, without too much of an individualistic interpretation. I can hear the score in the works easier and draw my own (uninformed, perhaps) conclusions.

His Ninth is an excellent example. Ormandy's handy for that, too.

Otherwise with brilliant and daring conductors I can easily lose the composer because of the conductor. The music is so familiar I don't need the sparks.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2024 2:34 AM

R12 here. I have to say, I’m gratified that with all the low-brow stuff we discuss here on DL, we can have an intelligent discussion on high-brow stuff, too. Makes me happy.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2024 1:16 PM

Claudio Abbado

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2024 1:41 PM

OP, I'm surprised that Vivian Vance wasn't a choice in your survey.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2024 1:43 PM

She sang in the premiere of Mahler 3

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2024 3:12 PM

I'm thrilled that people are listening to Mahler -whoever the conductor is. The man's music has always spoken to me (or at least my inner drama queen). Like Shakespeare, he can be presented and interpreted in many ways, but the power and beauty always comes through.

If you're not listening to Mahler yet, try starting with the Adagietto from Symphony 5. Truly one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2024 3:25 PM

Indeed

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2024 4:28 PM

Ah, the cult of Mahler. His comeback was 40-50 years ago. I think you can give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2024 4:37 PM

There are worse cults flourishing right now...

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2024 6:14 PM

Niles, you hate Mahler! Aside from Maris, who doesn’t!?

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2024 6:53 PM

I prefer his music to Strauss for the most part

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2024 12:02 AM

Herbert von Karajan only recorded 4 of the symphonies (4, 5, 6, and 9) but his 9th (the live recording) is sublime and his 4th and 5th are as fine as any others I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2024 12:19 AM

Seiji Ozawa in Boston is very underrated cycle.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2024 1:05 AM

Yannick Nezet-Seguin's Mahler 1 is pretty amazing. He's not listed.

R26 - Yeah, I wouldn't consider Karajan a Mahler conductor.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2024 1:13 AM

Poor Kubelik hasn’t received any votes. Why do you think that is?

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2024 1:16 AM

[quote] Yeah, I wouldn't consider Karajan a Mahler conductor.

Das ist nicht Mahler!

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2024 1:18 AM

Sergiu Celibidache makes everything he touches turn into GOLD:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2024 1:20 AM

Surprisingly, my favorite Maher 1 is by Sir Adrian Boult -usually known for his interpretations of Ralph Vaughan Williams. It is absolutely wonderful -and sounds much better than other recordings from the period. It was done on the Everest label, which recorded on a wider tape (usually used for film soundtracks). I had the old LP for years. Never thought it would see the light of day on CD, but it did (a couple of times). I wish Boult had recorded the 9th and 2ndl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2024 1:26 AM

R30, typical american

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2024 1:26 AM

R33, I’m quoting Bernstein directly from a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2024 1:30 AM

Christopher Hogwood

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2024 1:49 AM

R32 Adrian Boult was also great in Elgar!

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2024 4:06 AM

I think I created the perfect "Mahler Cycle," with no repeating conductor, singer, or orchestra. It is fun to search/listen to different recordings. Here is what I have so far:

1. The Boston Symphony Orchestra conducted by Seiji Ozawa

2. The Philharmonia Orchestra with Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Hilde Rossl-Majdan, conducted by Otto Klemperer

3. Leonard Bernstein with the New York Philharmonic and soprano Martha Lipton

4. Lorin Maazel in Vienna, with Kathleen Battle

5. New Philharmonia Orchestra, conducted by Sir John Barbirolli

6. London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Klaus Tennstedt

7. Michael Tilson Thomas and the LSO

8. Sir Georg Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Das Lied von der Erde: Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, with James King and Dame Janet Baker. Conducted by Bernard Haitink

9. The Berlin Philharmonic, conducted by Hebert von Karajan

10 Adagio. Eugene Ormandy in Philadelphia

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2024 8:21 PM

The Klemperer recording of DAS LIED with Fritz Wunderlich and Christa Ludwig is marvelous. Such a tragedy Wunderlich died so young. What a voice!

There's a fabulous 1991 live recording of the 8th with the London Philharmonic conducted by Tennstedt with Jane Eaglen and Julia Varady.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2024 8:58 PM

I saw Australian conductor Simone Young conduct a wonderful performance of Mahler's Fifth at the Sydney Opera House last year (jealous, bitches?). It was superb.

Young is currently in rehearsals at Bayreuth to conduct the Ring Cycle, the first female conductor to be granted that honour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2024 10:18 PM

Tár

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2024 10:19 PM

as long as the conductor can conduct this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2024 10:26 PM

Houston is performing Mahler's 3rd in May

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2024 10:38 PM

Cissy Houston died a few days ago.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2024 10:39 PM

R1 you took the words out of my mouth. My first choice would be Gustavo Dudamel.

My second: Claudio Abbado.

Last on the list is Bernstein.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2024 11:05 PM

R44 Why last? Bernstein seems to be winning, followed by Sir Georg Solti, Zubin Mehta, Claudio Abbado, and MTT

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2024 11:28 PM

I was talking about my own preferences, R45, regardless whether he is “winning”in this poll or not.

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2024 8:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!