Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any DLers grow up in the Eastern Orthodox Church?

Like Russian Orthodox or Greek Orthodox? What was it like? How did it compare to being raised Roman Catholic? Are kids who are raised Orthodox scarred in the same way as Roman Catholics?

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2024 8:58 PM

lots of people do, all the cool kids are doing it. . .

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2024 4:08 PM

I know my rights.

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2024 4:10 PM

Serbian dad, raised Serbian by my Italian RC mom.

Dad worked in a steel mill, and I think he always scheduled himself at work on Sunday. Never went to church. Mom took us, and we met with his sisters and mother. Fasting for Easter and Lent was a horror, as well as twice a year confession. Was an altar boy. Ran into one of our priests in a gay video arcade when I was in college. I thought he could give me some insight, but he ran like hell when he saw me.

Christianity is such a Borg, as it absorbs all the National Identities. Can you be Russian, Greek, Romanian, Serbian without all the church traditions, customs and food? I left the Serbian Orthodox Church and took all the recipes with me. This is also why Evangelical Christian crap is so appealing to them, it switches out the Christianity but keeps all the cultural crap.

Oh, and my mom saw through all this stupidity when she went to marry my day and asked for a dispensation as a Catholic. She was denied and EXCOMMUNICATED. She told them to go fuck themselves when Jackie Kennedy BOUGHT a dispensation to Marry Onassis. Christianity is all about the cash, the control and the cheese burek.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2024 4:26 PM

And this thread will sink like a brick

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2024 5:50 PM

Lesss drama queeny than Catholicism.

Nobody really cares about divorce or abortion.

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2024 7:34 PM

The orthodox take fasting to the next level. They practically go vegan during all of Lent, not just on Fridays.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2024 7:47 PM

[quote]They practically go vegan

NO, they go SCRUPULOUSLY vegan for 40 days.

You have no idea what eating PB&J on matzo for weeks on end is like?

I learned that whey was my spiritual enemy.

The only good thing was cocoa vinegar cake. Some days it was all I ate.

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2024 8:24 PM

Vegan for 40 days? And here I thought having fish on Friday was asking a lot.

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2024 8:29 PM

And if breaded, the breading had to be vegan. When we could afford it, I lived on fried shrimp.

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2024 8:32 PM

[quote]How did it compare to being raised Roman Catholic?

How would someone raised Orthodox know, OP?

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2024 11:39 PM

If so, do you have the kevorka?

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2024 11:41 PM

Their services are a lot longer than Catholic mass.

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2024 11:44 PM

The funerals take three hours, there’s lots of incense.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2024 12:25 AM

R10 Because a lot of “recovering Catholics” talk about it, so there’s at least some frame of reference.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2024 12:33 AM

r10, my mom was RC and she schooled us on what our parochial cousins were subjected to.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2024 1:13 AM

They also stand for the better part of the divine service, which is two to three hours.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2024 1:21 AM

Catholics point to the Orthodox churches and say, "See how much worse it could be?" By "worse," they mean longer and more boring.

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2024 1:43 AM

George Stephanopoulous's father was a Greek Orthodox priest. And George has a master's in theology.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2024 3:23 AM

I was a heathen as a kid but the various Serb/Croatian/various Eastern European Orthodox churches were all around, as well as ethnic variations on Catholic churches.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2024 3:25 AM

I was raised Greek Orthodox and went to Sunday school which was followed by a regular church service. I have never had a religious feeling ever, it was just all nonsense to me, so when I turned 12 that was it, I said I was sleeping in every Sunday from then on.

I will say Greeks as a people aren’t prudish about sex, Greek priests were expected to marry and have families, etc. Easter is a bigger holiday than Christmas, and the traditional service for Easter is an evening mass and at the end of it, each person takes a lit candle with them and you are supposed to keep it protected and aflame until you get home, which represents keeping the light of Christianity alive in the darkness, etc. A lovely poetic ritual. But still bullshit.

Of course now the Russian Orthodox church is very repressive, a conservative political tool, which so far the other Eastern Orthodox denominations are resisting. There are two rival Eastern Orthodox Archbishops, the Russian extremely conservative, the other not. But as with Catholics, some in the the church hierarchy have been busy seeding the lower religious orders with reactionaries, which is unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2024 3:39 AM

r16, if the church has any seating at all.

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2024 4:42 AM

I went to a Russian Orthodox wedding where you had to either stand or kneel for the entire ceremony. No pews at all. Greek Orthodox isn't like that.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2024 3:00 AM

In the Serb Church we tend to be Pews, in the OCA/Russian doiscese they are Pewoclasts.

They revel in REMOVING pews. It is their way of being THE TRUE CHURCH.

Crow baring and burning the pews is an act of faith.

The kind of crap the Reformation got rid of.

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2024 6:22 PM

An abundance of intact cocks.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2024 9:12 PM

I’ll add onto r20’s post—you can get married and divorced three times in the Greek Orthodox Church. A friend married and divorced a Greek girl, I remember thinking it was a smart rule, you’re allowed three fuckups before you’re considered a fuckup.

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2024 9:27 PM

Still lots of swinging the incense during services.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2024 9:41 PM

How is whey vegan?

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2024 9:43 PM

Pews are a Protestant innovation that often mess up the acoustics of the church.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2024 9:56 PM

[quote]Still lots of swinging the incense during services.

Reminds me of the old joke ... this is probably apocryphal, but supposedly a very drunk Talluluah Bankhead was attending Easter mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral and the cardinal proceeded down the aisle waving the censer. Tallulah was heard to comment, "Darling, I love your dress, but your purse is on fire."

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2024 10:07 PM

r27, whey is the enemy. If it shows up in an ingredient list, not edible for Orthodox Lent.

I became a wizard with Texturized Vegetable Protein.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2024 10:15 PM

Funny story r29 but a cardinal only uses the thurible/censer at the altar. He processes/recesses carrying his crozier. The thurifer processes with the thurible.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2024 11:16 PM

Sounds kinky to me

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2024 11:35 PM

R25, I know Catholics who each have more than one annulment.

Annulments are a nice little earner for the RCC.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2024 4:46 AM

No but I almost converted to Latvian Orthodox for some bimbo

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2024 4:51 AM

[quote]Annulments are a nice little earner for the RCC.

In the EOC, you better have an "in" with the bishop to get an annulment. Plus, unlike the announcing of the marriage banns, an annulment is, like divorce, considered a capitulation to sin and is sealed and secret, as it is confessional.

My aunt had to hustle and get her daughter married, and after the miscarriage, negotiated the annulment.

The EOC, the RCC, are both corrupt. However, the EOC clings to suffering, while the rest of Christianity has moved on to Prosperity.

Damn that Protestant Work Ethic.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2024 11:33 AM

And the cousin in r35, went on to marry a RC, in the RCC, sin free.

All a scam.

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2024 11:36 AM

[quote]Any DLers grow up in the Eastern Orthodox Church?

No, but my lover fucked one of their priests under the boardwalk at Coney Island.

by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2024 11:38 AM

r37, BFD, I have fucked so many RC Priests that I can tell you the differences between Jesuits, Dominicans and Franciscans.

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2024 11:43 AM

In the 90s, I was in a relationship with a Greek stud. He was religious to an extent, but not overly-religious (he was very curious about other religions). His family and his church couldn't know he was gay, nor could they know he chose stripping in gay clubs as a living (he was in his 20s). Whenever he was in my town on weekends (he lived with his family about two hours away), he would join me to go to church (Roman Catholic). I used to attend mass every week at the St Francis Chapel in my city. He always told me the two services were almost identical. The only big difference he noticed was that we sat more through the mass, while the Greek church stood for most of it (so he stood against the wall in the back of the church, while we sat). He really felt accepted by the Franciscans and their services. He liked that we weren't as strict as the Greek Orthodox Church- especially at Easter. After the services, I introduced him to some of the priests in the chapel - he had great conversations with them about the Greek church and Catholic church (they loved talking to him, and explained there were very little differences).

He eventually moved to NYC, and I would visit him every other weekend. He always wanted to go to the Franciscan Chapel for services on Sundays with me. His parents were accepting that he was going to a Catholic church with me - they were thrilled that I was getting him to church each week. I think he was interested in possibly converting at some point.

Unfortunately, he died at a very young age in a tragic accident (he was 33). I do think he would've converted at some point in his life.

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2024 12:36 PM

My grandparents came from Ukraine and were Greek Orthodox. My folks didn’t make us go to church except for the big holidays. And of course the funerals and weddings, which were never under 2 hours. The services we went to were in Ukrainian so I never really understood much. The entire experience was all just very… ritualistic.

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2024 12:40 PM

[quote]I do think he would've converted at some point in his life.

But would he have come out?

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2024 3:28 PM

"My grandparents came from Ukraine and were Greek Orthodox." - How did that happen, r40? Perhaps you mean they were Greek Catholic, which isn't actually Greek or Orthodox but is popular in Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2024 4:58 PM

I grew up in the Eastern Orthodox Church, OP. The control is strong, but we don't have the concept of guilt in the same way that Catholics do. One good thing is that priests can marry (my great-grandfather was a priest), hence so many Greeks with "Papa" at the beginning of their surname. It also results in a lot less child sexual abuse.

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2024 5:01 PM

"I think he was interested in possibly converting at some point." - I doubt it, r39.

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2024 5:02 PM

R39 Is this story real? Most gay men aren’t this religious unless they’re mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2024 5:20 PM

No, R42, they were Ukrainian Greek Orthodox. It’s a thing. I would know.

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2024 5:55 PM

If you’re permitted to marry a second time in the Orthodox Church, the ceremony cannot be celebrated with the same solemnity as a first marriage. One more chance is all you get. If you’ve failed at marriage twice then you obviously aren’t called to it.

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2024 7:10 PM

Which Church did your parents belong to, r46? I don't mean which general religion but which ecclesiastical administration? What was the name of it in Ukrainian?

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2024 8:08 PM

Or was it the Orthodox church under the Ecumenical Patriarch, who is Greek, Battholomeo?

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2024 9:05 PM

I worked for several years at a church goods store and R31 knows a hell of a lot more than I ever did. Fess up, R31, you must be an ex-seminarian at the very least!

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2024 9:15 PM

Name a national Church that is directly under the Ecumenical Patriarch with no intermediate administration, r49. There is no such Church in Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2024 4:28 AM

Moreover, the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople is not the head of something called the "Greek Orthodox Church", which in ecclesiastical terms doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2024 4:31 AM

I see Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, his most beatific oligarch, has checked in.

$lava Bogu!

by Anonymousreply 53October 15, 2024 12:38 PM

OP, you sound like you're looking for somebody in particular.

The one that I know of hasn't shown up in this thread yet.

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2024 12:53 PM

Kiril isn't the Ecumenical Patriarch, r53.

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2024 8:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!