Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The rise and fall of a Miss America

Susan Akin was Miss America, 1986 and considered one of the most beautiful women to wear the Miss America crown, but a lifetime of addiction, missed opportunities and broken dreams nearly destroyed her.

Her mother did a number on her and sounds like Mrs. Patsy Ramsey, formerly of Boulder, CO, putting Susan in pageants from the time she was a little girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2024 2:03 AM

They picked a Mormon missionary girl right after me and then this drugged up Klan daughter the year after. Overreacting to an overreaction.

by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2024 5:24 PM

She came from a crazy family and was then put in another weird environment (the pageant world.)

She barely stood a chance at normality.

by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2024 6:17 PM

Wow. She's completely unrecognizable now, but I'm glad she's finally getting herself together. I wish her the best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2024 7:20 PM

Here she is on Letterman right after she won (starting at 15:45). She was very pretty and charming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2024 7:22 PM

Beauty Pageants should be obsolete by now.

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2024 7:40 PM

I find it hilarious Jake Cruise (yes, THIS Jake Cruise) was one of the Miss America pageant judges until relatively recently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2024 7:48 PM

R6 Whaaa????!!! Is this true?

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2024 8:01 PM

R7, my bad, he wasn't a judge, it was something else

[quote] As RadarOnline reported yesterday, Ric Alonso and longtime partner Ernie Koneck are both highly involved in the Southern California Scholarship Association — a nonprofit that produces the Miss Hollywood pageant, an official preliminary to Miss California and Miss America. The couple also owns Dancing Moose, the web design company that produces the Miss California site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2024 8:08 PM

R8 That's still pretty funny. I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2024 8:10 PM

Jesus - what an unnecessarily long article and backstory. It's an article - not a novel.

Don't have sympathy for rich pretty white girls whose relatives were all KKK and she went to racist Ole Miss.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2024 8:11 PM

No Jake cruise wasn’t a judge his romantic and business partner ran a local feeder pageant in the Miss California system. Jake Cruise (real name ric alonso) was listed as a sponsor/donor. Someone put two and two together and I guess told a gossip website who ran the story.

Sounds like her family was feast or famine money wise, and her mother was counting on her winning Miss America as the big moment when her ship would sail in.

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2024 8:26 PM

I was a senior in high school in Mississippi when she won. It was a very big deal. I haven’t thought about her in years. Sorry to hear what she’s gone through but I’m glad she’s doing better.

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2024 8:57 PM

Miss America’s teeth are missing

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2024 9:27 PM

Susan’s crowning moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2024 10:07 PM

Couldn’t get through that horribly written article.

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2024 10:26 PM

[quote]R14 Susan’s crowning moment.

Miss Washington’s name is Honey Castro?

Okay.

by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2024 11:01 PM

I just looked up the past winners on Wikipedia to see who the subsequent winners were that OP referred to. It’s amazing how many names I remember from the pageant’s glory days. I worked with someone who was one of the 50 contestants and she had a great take on it — it was fun, a lark, but not something you could build your life around (true talents like Williams and some others notwithstanding).

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2024 11:17 PM

That’s Kelley Cash, a later Miss America Op! Duh

by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2024 11:19 PM

[quote] Don't have sympathy for rich pretty white girls whose relatives were all KKK and she went to racist Ole Miss.

She’s responsible for her choice of parents?

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2024 11:26 PM

Most of us aren’t unlucky enough to get the future we coveted as a child or adolescent. She was.

by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2024 11:28 PM

R19 - apple doesn't fall far from the tree - or orchard in this case.

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2024 11:33 PM

She’s got nothing on me—o was raped repeatedly by my father right up until the night I won Miss America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2024 11:35 PM

OMG R22 thats awful! Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2024 11:42 PM

R21. I wasn’t aware one of her life problems was being a racist or persecuting people in general.

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2024 11:45 PM

I read the whole thing. I'd be interested to see DNA results

by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2024 11:59 PM

Are you retarded R18? The article is about Susan Akin Miss America 1986.

by Anonymousreply 26October 10, 2024 1:14 AM

[quote]R18 That’s Kelley Cash, a later Miss America Op! Duh

[quote]R26 Are you retarded? The article is about Susan Akin, Miss America 1986.

Girls, GIRLS! You’re BOTH self righteously right!

OP’s pic is of outgoing Miss America Susan Akin crowning her 1987 replacement, Kellye Cash.

by Anonymousreply 27October 10, 2024 2:19 AM

Retards make fun of R26: Film at 11.

by Anonymousreply 28October 10, 2024 2:41 AM

Go dilate your coloncunt r28.

by Anonymousreply 29October 10, 2024 3:38 AM

R17 I saw Vanessa Williams perform about 10 years ago, and she was interviewed about her Miss America experience. She had never competed in pageants until she was recruited in college by a pageant representative. She had no interest in being a beauty queen, but the thought of scholarship money for college was enticing, so she decided to enter. She won her local pageant, then went on to win Miss America.

She talked about the contestants who literally spent their lives on the pageant circuit (girls like Susan Akin), living only to be the next Miss America, and how resentful so many of the girls were when she just kind of breezed in, and with little effort, took the title.

by Anonymousreply 30October 10, 2024 1:46 PM

R30, it's funny how she became the most famous Miss America and she didn't even get to keep her crown. Seriously, how many of the other American pageant winners are still remembered today? I think Kenya Moore is the only one, but she was Miss USA, not Miss America.

by Anonymousreply 31October 10, 2024 2:02 PM

Everyone pretty much knew Vanessa was likely to win on the final night—except maybe for a one Mississippi pageant queen —Wanda Gayle-who only made 3rd runner-up.

Ironically(?), Vanessa’s predecessor Debbie Maffett (MA 1983) was the ultimate career pageant girl. She spent years on the Texas pageant circuit, never to win Miss Texas. It took a nose and chin job, some better tits, blonder hair and a move to California where she won the first time out. Apparently she was not very popular among her fellow contestants in Atlantic City.

by Anonymousreply 32October 10, 2024 2:03 PM

This joke about no homely Miss Mississippi’s was pretty accurate at the time.

Vanessa’s mother said the same thing about the parents R30 when they asked them how long her daughter had been competing and they would say this is her first year. I think her time from the local pageant to Miss America was less than 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 33October 10, 2024 3:36 PM

Designing women link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 10, 2024 3:36 PM

R33 Vanessa Williams said she didn't even have a decent bathing suit for the competition, so a few days before the pageant, she went to Target and bought one. She ended up winning the bathing suit competition with her off the rack swimsuit, which pissed off a lot of the girls who had spent tons of money on custom-made suits.

by Anonymousreply 35October 10, 2024 4:45 PM

There’s a great recap from 2021 in the WaPo that describes how she won the title—as noted, in a few short months from Miss Syracuse to Miss America. DL won’t let me share the link.

Her evening gown was killer (not the purple mermaid thing she wore for the final announcement).

by Anonymousreply 36October 10, 2024 4:54 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 10, 2024 4:56 PM

The story..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 10, 2024 5:01 PM

Vanessa Williams is very, very beautiful and I admire her spirit. I saw her in the pre Broadway tour of INTO THE WOODS, though, and I don’t recall anything special at all about her performance. She was tall and graceful… that’s all I got.

This revival seemed extremely conventional across the board, though. But I like them using the maypole in the choreography! That Act 1 finale is one of my favorite parts of the score - even if you can never tell what people are saying : )

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 10, 2024 7:37 PM

Here is Susan Akin crowning her successor Kellye Cash. She walked off the stage the moment after the put the crown on Kellyes head. Normally they stay until the new winner takes her walk and the emcee says goodnight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 10, 2024 8:59 PM

They didn’t like Kellye in the dressing room—she was a very thirsty wannabe. Nepo baby of her time.

by Anonymousreply 41October 10, 2024 9:06 PM

[quote]r40 Here is Susan Akin crowning her successor Kellye Cash.

Wow - Sue got that tiara onto her fast, straight, and tight.

Often that part’s pathetically scary!

by Anonymousreply 42October 10, 2024 9:21 PM

Tell me about it! See @ 7:10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 10, 2024 9:25 PM

I remember 1984 and Vanessa Williams fucking up the title with her her muff diving, photo scandal. She made Miss America seem tawdry. Single-handedly, ruined the pageant and ironicly, brought favorable attention to lipstick lesbos.

by Anonymousreply 44October 10, 2024 9:31 PM

Fun fact: Ann or Anne is the most common first or second name of Miss America winners.

Next most common: some version of Mary!

by Anonymousreply 45October 10, 2024 9:56 PM

[quote] I read the whole thing. I'd be interested to see DNA results

Why? I'm curious. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 46October 10, 2024 10:01 PM

[quote] “I feel at this time, intermixing could lead to more problems because we have a lot of marriage problems now — divorce,” Susan said. “Intermixing cultures and things ... of that aspect could lead to divorces, which I don’t like.”

She was against "intermixing." So, the apple didn't fall far from the KKK tree.

Also, she's saying that "intermixing" could lead to divorce. Her two white parents: divorced.

Also, it's cruel to have wild animals declawed and living in a back yard.

I'm not feeling very sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 47October 10, 2024 10:03 PM

Plot twist: she was a descendent of Mississippi’s first Black senator! That’s what drove her to las drogas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 10, 2024 10:49 PM

By comparison getting your picture taken sniffing some chicks butt seems rather tame, doesn't it...

by Anonymousreply 49October 10, 2024 11:14 PM

Susan Akin is briefly featured in this episode of UNSOLVED MYSTERIES (her L.A. neighbor was murdered in 1988)

See[bold] 23:22 [/bold]mark:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 11, 2024 12:03 AM

R50 I'm sure her guilt over not calling the police when her neighbor was being murdered didn't help her drug and alcohol addiction.

by Anonymousreply 51October 11, 2024 12:22 AM

Gary Collins was a nasty drunk...

by Anonymousreply 52October 11, 2024 12:30 AM

So is Chuck Woolery

by Anonymousreply 53October 11, 2024 12:34 AM

Michael Moore’s Miss Michigan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 11, 2024 12:37 AM

Suzanne Sugarbaker is right. You will also never see a homely Miss Texas and rarely a homely Miss Arkansas or Miss Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 55October 11, 2024 12:46 AM

Marilyn is cute as a bug. What an awful thing to live with. I’m glad she’s strong and supported by her family.

by Anonymousreply 56October 11, 2024 12:52 AM

But never trust a Miss Valdosta Feed and Grain, R55

by Anonymousreply 57October 11, 2024 3:13 AM

R35 for you from the article:

“The Miss Nebraska advisers, confounded by Kristin’s lean, athletic figure, showed her all the tricks with padding and tape and thickly lined bra cups — because nothing, they said, absolutely nothing must show. So Kristin had been stunned to see Miss New York stroll into preliminaries in an unreinforced, civilian-grade bathing suit, her silhouetted nipples leading the way. “I thought, ‘oh my gosh, this is not going to be good!’ ” Kristin says.”

by Anonymousreply 58October 11, 2024 6:19 PM

From the story at R38:

[quote]Knowing this was an upside of hailing from a serious pageant state like Oklahoma, winner of the 1967 and 1981 Miss America crowns.

ExCUSE me, WaPo: Oklahoma also produced the 1926, 1996, 2006 and 2007 winners. Now I know this story was about the 1983 pageant but you can't just omit Norma Smallwood like that!

by Anonymousreply 59October 11, 2024 6:37 PM

They were the then two “modern” winners. Pretty basic.

by Anonymousreply 60October 11, 2024 6:38 PM

[quote]R59 you can't just omit Norma Smallwood like that!

[bold]#Justice4Norma

by Anonymousreply 61October 11, 2024 6:42 PM

She had a great talent, but could last until first runner-up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 11, 2024 7:13 PM

*couldn’t

by Anonymousreply 63October 11, 2024 7:14 PM

I have OCD. If I won, I'd have to boil the crown and burn the scepter. Fake royalty so you don't know where the scepter has been. Has to pass the sniff test.

by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2024 2:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!