Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Worst Halloween Candy

It's still Mary Janes. Candy corn and circus peanuts are just as bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184October 15, 2024 7:03 PM

Twizzlers. I hate twizzlers.

by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2024 3:48 AM

These.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2024 3:55 AM

Also candy corn. Whoever invented candy corn needs to die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2024 3:57 AM

Sweet Tarts. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2024 3:59 AM

I liked candy corn.

Hated Necco wafers, if anyone else is old enough to remember those.

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2024 3:59 AM

Mary Janes are indeed the worst. I have a friend who loves them. She gave me my first one when we were in college and I almost gagged.

I don’t know if they still make it, but I got sick from eating banana flavored taffy when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2024 4:00 AM

I don’t like Skittles. Idk if they changed the ingredients, or if it’s just me, but they make me sick now.

I never liked Whoopers. They were the first Halloween candy to be traded with my friends when I was a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2024 4:07 AM

*Whoppers

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2024 4:08 AM

Anything with coconut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2024 4:08 AM

I like Whoppers and Almond Joy and Mounds.

At Easter, I treat myself to those robin's eggs, which are basically Whoppers.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2024 4:13 AM

Black licorice

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2024 4:15 AM

Candy corn

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2024 4:20 AM

I loved candy corn. As a kid, I used to bite off the yellow part and show it to my mom and dad and tell them I had just lost a tooth. They went along with it but I know they didn’t believe me. For some reason I thought it looked like a real tooth.

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2024 4:41 AM

R6

Banana taffy makes me choke on my saliva - no other flavor, just banana.

by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2024 4:51 AM

Any "banana flavored" candy really tastes horribly fake.

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2024 5:04 AM

R15 Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2024 5:07 AM

Circus peanuts. If I hated the neighborhood children, I'd pass those out.

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2024 5:20 AM

Those Circus Peanuts ... what was the point.

The BEST two Halloween candies:

1. Reese's peanut butter cups. (Reese's is pronounced "Ree-suhs," not "Ree-sees."

2. Twix caramel.

by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2024 5:24 AM

I always have Reese's--but if it's a low traffic year for Trick or Treaters, someone has to finish those off--me. And then it's time for the stretchy jeans.

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2024 5:29 AM

Fentanyl and razor blades! I worry so much for my grandbabies, but none of my children have called me in the last twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2024 5:49 AM

Neccos 🤮

Chick-O-Stick

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2024 8:41 AM

The banana flavored Nile Lata will make you want to fight. It’s awful.

by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2024 8:47 AM

As a kid I always enjoyed Mary Janes, Candy Corn, and Circus Peanuts. I liked to let the Circus Peanuts dissolve on my tongue.

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2024 8:59 AM

Milk Duds. As mentioned above Mary Jane's and Necco Wafers. But, Circus Peanuts have to be the worst.🤮

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2024 9:02 AM

My two favorites were Mary Janes and Necco wafers.

À son goût.

by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2024 9:05 AM

REALLY SHITTY CHEAP AND NASTY AND THIN LOLLIPOPS

by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2024 11:10 AM

I hated Milk Duds, especially because I always got them confused with Whoppers, which I love. The disappointment was brutal.

Also, I'm not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2024 11:14 AM

Agree with R11

Where'd you people trick or treat? Did you go to the cheapest neighbors?

by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2024 11:42 AM

[quote]I hated Milk Duds, especially because I always got them confused with Whoppers, which I love.

Conversely, I hated Whoppers and loved Milk Duds.

I didn't like candy corn alone but my mom would mix it with peanuts and the combination was delicious. I agree with Bit o' Honey being the worst.

by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2024 11:57 AM

Jolly Ranchers. Honestly, what kid's going for a sucker during a dedicated candy binge?

Good and Plenty, for obvious reasons.

Those revolting black and orange taffy things that taste vaguely like peanut. Do they even have a name?

by Anonymousreply 30October 9, 2024 12:06 PM

All those cheap, obscure brands of candy like "Zero" bars. They're still made--I saw them at a candy superstore.

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2024 12:34 PM

What demon is giving out black licorice for Halloween?

I’d rather have an apple or toothbrush or something ‘healthy’ that all the kids hated getting.

by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2024 1:36 PM

Dum dums-cheap

by Anonymousreply 33October 9, 2024 1:40 PM

black licorice is fine. Not all kids have baby tastes. I liked it as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 34October 9, 2024 1:59 PM

Candy corn for the win.

by Anonymousreply 35October 9, 2024 2:00 PM

I'm in my 60s so these are time-period specific:

Those candy dots on paper. We wound up eating mostly paper

Wax Lips and Wax Soda Bottles. I think you were supposed to chew the wax (?) and drink the vile, artificially-colored, non-descript liquid in side.

by Anonymousreply 36October 9, 2024 2:05 PM

I actually rather like candy corn in small doses thought is just pure sugar plus mystery additives. Agree with the rest noted. Malted milk balls tastes like chocolate covered vomit.

by Anonymousreply 37October 9, 2024 2:11 PM

We always mixed candy corn with salted Spanish peanuts. It's a really tasty, salty-sweet combo. It's a bit like a Payday bar but with high-quality peanuts and minus the rodent hairs.

by Anonymousreply 38October 9, 2024 2:16 PM

Black licorice. It tastes like a dog’s fart smells.

by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2024 2:57 PM

[Quote] Malted milk balls tastes like chocolate covered vomit.

We’ll take your word for it.

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2024 2:58 PM

The WORST: those awful peanut butter taffy things, wrapped in orange and black wax paper! Candy from the depths of hell...

by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2024 2:58 PM

As a kid, I remember dumping my bag of collected Halloween candy on the carpet as soon as I got home. Mary Janes were the first thing everyone threw into the garbage. They always looked like something someone found under dusty old sofa cushions, or under grandma’s bed.

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2024 3:03 PM

I got a rock.

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2024 3:06 PM

If anybody gives you candy corn just pass it down here to me. I LOVE candy corn. Not for the taste and not for the godawful sugar content, but for the heart and soul of it. I treasured it when I was little.

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2024 3:28 PM

A lady on our street gave the kids KFC one year. The next year it was pizza.

by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2024 3:40 PM

I admired the guy down the road that dropped a baggie of prepared mac and cheese in your candy sack..

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2024 3:47 PM

Those flavourless fondant mini pumpkins. Chemicals and sucrose.

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2024 3:54 PM

So true. Mary Janes always tasted like a blended nougat of peanut, corn syrup, Elmer's glue and wall plaster.

by Anonymousreply 48October 9, 2024 3:56 PM

Some housewives in my middle class paradise suburbs make good homemade treats for trick or treat. One had delicious candy apples - and another had great caramel apples. Neither are so easy to get right. Another had caramel popcorn balls. Another had brownies, wrapped in wax paper. You might also get peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, or m&m cookies. We knew all these people and we ate their treats.

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2024 3:56 PM

Fudge was another treat that came in wax paper.

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2024 3:58 PM

[quote] (Reese's is pronounced "Ree-suhs," not "Ree-sees."

Ree-shuhsh

by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2024 4:00 PM

Chick Tracts. Scared the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 52October 9, 2024 4:00 PM

"Chick Tracts" ??? WTF

by Anonymousreply 53October 9, 2024 4:01 PM

[quote]Where'd you people trick or treat? Did you go to the cheapest neighbors?

A new low for Datalounge snobbiness. Congratulations, BPC.

by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2024 4:03 PM

In the old days it was commonplace to get a handful of peanuts in the shell. My father took them all.

by Anonymousreply 55October 9, 2024 4:05 PM

I've never liked Jolly Ranchers. Too hard to bite into, and too sugary to suck on.

I've never minded candy corn. Although I do understand why people wouldn't like it. I also love chocolate-covered malted milk balls. I could eat those for days.

by Anonymousreply 56October 9, 2024 4:18 PM

I'm old.

Any time I want to get rid of a rotten tooth, I just pop in a Bit-O-Honey from the candy I saved when I was 12.

by Anonymousreply 57October 9, 2024 4:18 PM

Here’s a sample , r53

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 9, 2024 4:18 PM

I love candy corn, especially the yellow layer.

by Anonymousreply 59October 9, 2024 4:18 PM

The worst thing I ever ate on Halloween was your mom.

by Anonymousreply 60October 9, 2024 4:22 PM

R58 thank you. I've never heard of those but how horrifying! What region of the country was this?

by Anonymousreply 61October 9, 2024 4:30 PM

I got tired of sullen, rude kids and parents who would crawl en masse out of double-parked vans, some with three sacks each (for my aunt with diabetes, for my little sister who's crippled, for my baby brother).

I admit some who I just didn't like because of being unfun got Little Debbie Oatmeal cakes with icing in the middle. They were the worst "treat" imaginable.

One kid walked back up my steps and handed it back, saying, "No thank you." I gave him a full big bag of the good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 62October 9, 2024 4:33 PM

Smarties are the best.

by Anonymousreply 63October 9, 2024 4:34 PM

[Quote] A lady on our street gave the kids KFC one year. The next year it was pizza.

But doesn’t it make a mess in those plastic pumpkin buckets???

by Anonymousreply 64October 9, 2024 4:38 PM

Wax bottles. Who came up with that and why did it ever sell? Wax lips were at least funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 9, 2024 4:50 PM

Hands down, apples with a razor blade inside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 9, 2024 4:57 PM

I didn't realize the Dum Dum lollipops were cheap. I liked them, most of the flavors, at least. I also like Jolly Ranchers green apple and watermelon. I like hard candies like those butterscotch discs, too.

by Anonymousreply 67October 9, 2024 5:04 PM

R58, a suburb of Seattle. Mr. Pierson still lives there, still creepy, still mean because I’m his longtime neighbor since I was a kid in the 60s/70s. His house is being swallowed by foliage and he uses a cane now.

by Anonymousreply 68October 9, 2024 5:06 PM

Cadbury Easter Eggs left over from April. They don't age as well as Peeps.

by Anonymousreply 69October 9, 2024 5:06 PM

I hate M&Ms, can't stand how they feel on my teeth.

by Anonymousreply 70October 9, 2024 5:07 PM

Laffy Taffy was pretty bad. My conspiracy theory is that the dentists of America promoted that candy-more cavities and more fillings pulled out. Cha-ching!

by Anonymousreply 71October 9, 2024 5:09 PM

[quote]Those revolting black and orange taffy things that taste vaguely like peanut. Do they even have a name?

[quote]The WORST: those awful peanut butter taffy things, wrapped in orange and black wax paper! Candy from the depths of hell...

Never knew they had a name, but I googled it and they're called, Peanut Butter Kisses. Hershey should sue them for false advertising and defamation. By putting 'Kisses' in the name, they are attempting to piggyback off a successful brand name to sale that terrible garbage.

As a joke, the city of High Point, North Carolina "banned" them: [quote]“Alright everybody, we're giving you a one-week notice as you prepare for trick-or-treaters to remind y'all that by order of the City of High Point Emperor of Acceptable Candy (it's a real thing), these are banned. No one likes them, don't give them out."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2024 5:19 PM

[quote]Smarties are the best.

And dum dums are among the worst. Half-candy and half-paper stick that starts to peel before you finish the candy.

by Anonymousreply 73October 9, 2024 5:26 PM

Black jelly beans are just gross. I'd rather take Nyquil than eat Nyquil-flavored candy.

by Anonymousreply 74October 9, 2024 5:36 PM

Some of the ones people hated so much as children (like Mary Janes and Necco wafers) were leftovers from the Depression era and WW2, when everyone was so broke and candy was seen as a real luxury.

By the time I was a kid in the early 70s and went trick-or-treating, they were still being given out by old people who were either used to buying them or had acquired a taste for them when they were children and there was nothing else to be had. (In a similar way, by grandpa grew to love the taste of Postum--a coffee substitute made with grain--during the war and drank it for the rest of his life, even when actual coffee became available again.)

by Anonymousreply 75October 9, 2024 5:46 PM

Anything that isn't a form of milk chocolate (as long as it doesn't have those nasty little hazelnuts in it).

by Anonymousreply 76October 9, 2024 5:50 PM

[quote]R22: The banana flavored Nile Lata will make you want to fight. It’s awful.

"Nile Lata"? Did you mean 'Now & Later'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 9, 2024 5:54 PM

Button candy, jawbreakers, rock candy, Mexican lollipops - anything that tastes just like pure sugar was the worst. I also hate Dum-Dums and marshmallow candy. The rest of the reviled candy, like Black Licorice, Mary Janes, Smarties, Chick o Sticks, Candy Corn, Candy Pumpkins- I like. I don't care for Almond Joys but I love Mounds. Hershey chocolate needs something with it - like peanuts, crispy corn, peanut butter -- or toffee. It's too sour on its own. That wax bottle candy sucks though - ew. I also don't care for plain M&Ms for the same reason as the Hershey problem.

by Anonymousreply 78October 9, 2024 5:59 PM

I like that Rosie O'Donnell is giving out toys and candy for Halloween. She has four kinds of toys that kids can choose from(as shown here), as well as full-sized candy.

If you've got the money, why not give out candy and toys to the little ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 9, 2024 6:03 PM

Dots. YUCK! Same with Jujyfruits or whatever they're called. I also hated anything coconut, especially those tri-colored taffy thingies wrapped individually in a clear wrapper. In perhaps another unpopular opinion: I HATE Milky Way. Those were always my bartering weapon.

by Anonymousreply 80October 9, 2024 6:05 PM

[quote]R61: I've never heard of those but how horrifying! What region of the country was this?

R68's suburb of Seattle notwithstanding, Chick Tracts are liable to be found anywhere in the world. Chick Publications is based in Chino, California, but they ship everywhere, with many tracts available in multiple languages. It's an evangelical thing.

Ever seen 𝐌𝐚𝐱𝐢𝐦𝐮𝐦 𝐎𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞 (1986)? The tracts make a cameo on the car dashboard of bible fanatic Camp Loman.

by Anonymousreply 81October 9, 2024 6:10 PM

R80 do you mean Brach's Neopolitan Sundaes candy? I'd love to have some of that again, and their caramel royals or the white taffy nougat with the colored jelly in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 9, 2024 6:13 PM

I loved the SNL skit where Maya Rudolph as Donatella Versace gave out cigarettes to the kids who were trick or treating.

Little girl: "My mother told me not to smoke."

Donatella: "Tell your mother they're Capri Lights."

by Anonymousreply 83October 9, 2024 6:15 PM

R82, I loved those!

Sadly, they're discontinued.

by Anonymousreply 84October 9, 2024 6:15 PM

I cant believe root beer barrel candy hasn't been mentioned. Along with Mary Janes, Bit o' Honey, and Chick o Sticks -- gag worthy.

by Anonymousreply 85October 9, 2024 6:17 PM

Smarties used to be a novelty because they only were sold in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 86October 9, 2024 6:18 PM

R67 For kids, Dum Dum lollipop are a perfectly delightful treat when you've been dragged to the bank with your mother. In a Halloween bag, they may as well be belly button lint.

by Anonymousreply 87October 9, 2024 6:26 PM

Taffy

by Anonymousreply 88October 9, 2024 6:34 PM

[quote] Necco wafers were leftovers from the Depression era and WW2

My mom was born in 1922 and loved Necco wafers.

by Anonymousreply 89October 9, 2024 6:36 PM

Leftover (stale) Peeps from Easter

by Anonymousreply 90October 9, 2024 6:47 PM

[quote]do you mean Brach's Neopolitan Sundaes candy? I'd love to have some of that again, and their caramel royals or the white taffy nougat with the colored jelly in it.

I used love these - that weird, coconut taste. I don't know what happened, but the quality of this cheap candy has really gone down hill

by Anonymousreply 91October 9, 2024 6:53 PM

I don't get all the hate for Necco Wafers. The green and orange ones are yummy. The licorice flavored ones, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 92October 9, 2024 6:57 PM

Apples with razor blades were always a hit in my neighborhood!

by Anonymousreply 93October 9, 2024 6:59 PM

R19- For you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 9, 2024 7:04 PM

R92- I agree. I liked Necco wafers when I was a kid. One of the reasons- I felt you got a lot of sweets for your money. The package was fairly large.

by Anonymousreply 95October 9, 2024 7:06 PM

R79 - That reminds me of an old story. Something about two little kids and a house made of candy...

by Anonymousreply 96October 9, 2024 7:07 PM

[quote]"Nile Lata"? Did you mean 'Now & Later'?

That had to be what they meant, R77. "Nile Lata" sounds like a suburb of Cairo.

BTW, I like Now & Laters, all flavors.

by Anonymousreply 97October 9, 2024 7:29 PM

I remember that people used to give out Twinkies and Ding Dongs for Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 98October 9, 2024 8:00 PM

Ah, the days of Ding Dongs in foil wrappers. They just tasted better than they do know. Well, until you bit down on a piece of forgotten foil with one of your fillings. OUCH!

by Anonymousreply 99October 9, 2024 8:25 PM

r86 If I remember correctly, Smarties in the U.S. were like smaller Sweet Tarts, not the Canadian faux M&M's.

by Anonymousreply 100October 9, 2024 8:51 PM

Smarties started out small and uncoated and they came in rolls. They looked like aspirins.

Maybe in the '90s or so, Smarties became larger. I thought they became coated, too, but I was wrong. They stayed powdery.

by Anonymousreply 101October 9, 2024 8:56 PM

Swiss Rolls too

by Anonymousreply 102October 9, 2024 9:13 PM

r22 It's true Smarties were and continue to be sold here although they originated in the UK. They were one of the goodies Rowntree made before Nestlé bought them out.

I swear they tasted better when Rowntree made them.

by Anonymousreply 103October 9, 2024 9:16 PM

I hated those red Swedish fish. Barf!

by Anonymousreply 104October 9, 2024 9:25 PM

Assies. Utterly disgusting candy.

by Anonymousreply 105October 9, 2024 9:33 PM

I wanted something in a wrapper,

I wanted something of respectful size, not those tiny smashed Snickers glued to the wrapper, or those tot-choking mini-malted-chocolate balls lined up in a smack row under the plastic.

I wanted a decent excuse if the item wasn't chocolate. Butterfinger? OK. Payday? All right, but don't make a habit of it. Pixy Stix got you dog shit on your car door handles and house doorknobs.

I wanted nothing with coconut, which tasted like wet sugared doll hair. Mounds? Almond Joy? I could trade with my twin sister. Neapolitan Three-Color Coconut Slices. Your son's getting beat up on the way home from school tomorrow and he won't know who did it.

Candy apples go through your garage window.

And if you gave me something I liked I wanted lots of it!

by Anonymousreply 106October 9, 2024 9:39 PM

[quote] I wanted something in a wrapper. I wanted something of respectful size

That's what all bottoms want.

by Anonymousreply 107October 9, 2024 9:41 PM

R104, watch your mouth! Those are delicious! Same for the red Sour Patch Kids...even though they give me canker sores if I eat too many.

by Anonymousreply 108October 9, 2024 9:44 PM

What about the razor blades in apples. That was the worst. Can't believe nobody has mentioned them.

by Anonymousreply 109October 9, 2024 9:51 PM

Dots. Love 'em

[quote] I wanted something of respectful size, not those tiny smashed Snickers glued to the wrappe

I hear ya r106, but have you seen the cost of good candy bar candy? We get over 250 kids, probably closer to 300. Serious.

We give out a fun size candy bar - Reeses, Snickers, Kit Kats, Twix, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way AND a mittful of good penny candy.

When your candy costs for Trick or Treat run up to $125 or so dollars, smaller size matters.

by Anonymousreply 110October 9, 2024 9:56 PM

R106 has stated his boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 111October 9, 2024 10:32 PM

Raisinets. But what was actually worse was getting those mini boxes of raisins. Blech-nothing healthy at Halloween, please!

by Anonymousreply 112October 9, 2024 10:33 PM

Does anyone remember that dumb first-grade craft project where you taped two pennies and a stick of Juicy Fruit to a piece of orange construction paper shaped like a pumpkin? Even then I thought it was lame.

by Anonymousreply 113October 9, 2024 11:00 PM

No, i dont remember that.

by Anonymousreply 114October 9, 2024 11:04 PM

I love Bit o’Honey when it’s fresh but it never is.

by Anonymousreply 115October 9, 2024 11:09 PM

Now & Laters and bubblegum.

by Anonymousreply 116October 9, 2024 11:16 PM

I just don’t get Mary Janes. What sadist decided a candy with the texture and flavor of linoleum was a good idea at all, let alone to give to a child on Halloween.

Those circus peanuts suck too.

by Anonymousreply 117October 9, 2024 11:55 PM

[quote] I wanted something of respectful size, not those tiny smashed Snickers glued to the wrapper, or those tot-choking mini-malted-chocolate balls lined up in a smack row under the plastic.

Yes, Lens. We know you like your candy BIG.

by Anonymousreply 118October 10, 2024 12:22 AM

I never understood the appeal of candy corn. It's just corn syrup and colors.

There is a Mad About You episode (S02E06 The Unplanned Child) with a Halloween theme. At the end (22:40 closing credits) Larry Miller sings an ode to candy corn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 10, 2024 12:23 AM

Corn? When did I have corn?

by Anonymousreply 120October 10, 2024 12:36 AM

R114 - Me neither. Guessing R113 went to a "special" school.

by Anonymousreply 121October 10, 2024 1:17 PM

Remember when hospitals allowed people to bring in their Halloween candy to be X-rayed for needles and razor blades? It's crazy how everyone believed those urban legends, even hospitals. It's no wonder that Trump became president.

by Anonymousreply 122October 10, 2024 3:58 PM

R117 Mary Janes are super old, over 110 years. I like them but, I like weird stuff like Malort and braunschweiger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123October 10, 2024 4:00 PM

I would think MARY! Janes would be the official candy of DL.

by Anonymousreply 124October 10, 2024 4:03 PM

[quote]Mary Janes are super old, over 110 years

They sure taste like it.

by Anonymousreply 125October 10, 2024 4:15 PM

How the fuck do you start talking about Donald Trump on a Halloween candy thread.

by Anonymousreply 126October 10, 2024 4:23 PM

Bit O Honeys aren't bad. You have to suck on them for a bit before they get in the right spot. DL, they should be top ten.

by Anonymousreply 127October 10, 2024 8:11 PM

[quote] You have to suck on them for a bit before they get in the right spot.

This... sounds vaguely familiar.

by Anonymousreply 128October 10, 2024 8:26 PM

[quote] Mary Janes are super old, over 110 years.

But on DL, she can pass for 45.

by Anonymousreply 129October 10, 2024 8:27 PM

[quote]I hated those red Swedish fish. Barf!.

I've never had them, but I've seen them in the grocery store and can't imagine what they taste like.

by Anonymousreply 130October 10, 2024 8:31 PM

Like raw snapper. Not that I'd complain...

by Anonymousreply 131October 10, 2024 8:36 PM

Turkish Foot Candy

by Anonymousreply 132October 10, 2024 8:45 PM

Because Trump is everywhere that’s why. Greedy-Power hungry and the many ignorant want his prick. Happy Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 133October 10, 2024 9:49 PM

And he's orange, like a pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 134October 10, 2024 9:52 PM

Do you remember Brach’s pumpkin shaped candy corn?? 🎃

by Anonymousreply 135October 10, 2024 11:04 PM

For those who hate Mary Janes - is it the texture you don't like? It's taffy, which I love but apparently some people really don't like. Or is it the peanut butter-molasses flavoring? Do you also dislike saltwater taffy?

by Anonymousreply 136October 11, 2024 7:18 AM

It's the fact that Mary Janes are like eating rocks.

by Anonymousreply 137October 11, 2024 11:47 PM

Not the worst, but I sure enjoyed getting those little mini packs of candy cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 138October 11, 2024 11:54 PM

Whoppers malted milk balls are poison wrapped in a layer of chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 139October 12, 2024 1:42 AM

Does anyone remember Bonomo's Turkish Taffy? Like Mary Janes, it was another tooth destroyer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140October 12, 2024 9:04 AM

why is malted milk poison?

by Anonymousreply 141October 12, 2024 9:43 AM

skittles

by Anonymousreply 142October 12, 2024 11:26 AM

[quote]why is malted milk poison?

I don't know that they're poison, but I have always hated them. Just vile. I think that's a minority opinion, however.

by Anonymousreply 143October 12, 2024 12:20 PM

Is in many candies, the European "whoppers" are called Maltesers, by Mars UK, and they are better than Whoppers.

by Anonymousreply 144October 12, 2024 12:42 PM

I prefer my good ole 'murrican Whoppers, r144. I really don't care for English milk chocolate (to the point that I'd rather consume that waxy whatever-the-hell-it-is coating a Whopper).

by Anonymousreply 145October 12, 2024 3:42 PM

I ate a Mary Jane in kindergarten and promptly threw up. 60 years later still cannot stand the sight or smell of them.

by Anonymousreply 146October 12, 2024 3:45 PM

A lady on our street used to give out cough drops, that brand with the Victorian guys with long beards. We told Mom who said never trick or treat at her house again.

by Anonymousreply 147October 12, 2024 4:58 PM

If you like malted milk balls, try this ice cream recipe. It's REALLY good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 12, 2024 5:03 PM

Expect full-size candy bars this year

by Anonymousreply 149October 12, 2024 5:03 PM

[quote]I don’t know if they still make it, but I got sick from eating banana flavored taffy when I was a kid.

Yup, they do. I LOVE Banana Laffy Taffy!

by Anonymousreply 150October 12, 2024 5:11 PM

Taffy makes me choke

by Anonymousreply 151October 12, 2024 5:13 PM

I liked malted milk balls as a boy. Not so much now. They changed.

by Anonymousreply 152October 12, 2024 6:50 PM

When I was a kid those malted milk balls came in a milk carton-like package.

by Anonymousreply 153October 12, 2024 6:58 PM

[quote] why is malted milk poison?

Baby tasters can't handle any "exotic" flavors like the malted flavor.

If you like the Wendy's Frosty or Ovaltine, that's malted.

by Anonymousreply 154October 12, 2024 9:57 PM

Those horrid Boston Baked Beans.

by Anonymousreply 155October 12, 2024 10:01 PM

Smith Brothers, R147. Trade and Mark.

by Anonymousreply 156October 12, 2024 10:02 PM

[quote]I don't know that they're poison, but I have always hated them. Just vile. I think that's a minority opinion, however.

You aren't alone. They're awful. Terribly awful.

by Anonymousreply 157October 12, 2024 11:41 PM

[quote]Those horrid Boston Baked Beans.

Loved those.

by Anonymousreply 158October 13, 2024 2:52 AM

I like malted milk. The great thing about Shake Shack is that you can get malt in your milk shake. Delicious!

R140, I loved Bonomo Turkish Taffy. You'd slap it on a flat surface to break it up into bite-size pieces and then let it soften in your mouth. I liked rock candy, too, which is pure sugar and nothing but. It's sugar. What's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 159October 13, 2024 8:39 AM

Why are circus peanut banana flavored? Shouldn't they taste like peanuts?

by Anonymousreply 160October 13, 2024 8:47 AM

Starburst and Butterfinger.

by Anonymousreply 161October 13, 2024 5:13 PM

Love Starburst.

by Anonymousreply 162October 13, 2024 9:18 PM

[quote]Why are circus peanut banana flavored? Shouldn't they taste like peanuts?

To make us wonder why one thing looks like another thing, but tastes like something else.

by Anonymousreply 163October 13, 2024 10:01 PM

I remember that those wax teeth and lips that were sold at Halloween were labeled "chewing gum," which I found odd. It would be like chewing on a candle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164October 14, 2024 8:44 AM

Bazooka gum was also garbage.

by Anonymousreply 165October 14, 2024 8:57 AM

Trick or treaters visiting Ina Garten's house on Halloween are going to be in for a big disappointment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 14, 2024 9:26 AM

The whole Sugar family; Mommas, Daddies, and Babies. Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 167October 14, 2024 1:01 PM

Whoppers you also have to suck on for a bit before you crunch 'em. I think they're fun and satisfying to eat. Yes, the milk carton container was iconic. I think they still use them if I'm not mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 168October 14, 2024 3:01 PM

My trick-or-treating years were the early-to-mid 1990s and every year at school, we would go over the safety rules and they emphasized the part about letting you parents inspect the candy when you got home. You'd think that razor blades and crack rocks being given out at every other house.

1) Did you or you parents ever find anything unsafe when going through the candy, other the gross candy we've listed here?

2) Another thing I didn't see was anybody giving out fruit instead of candy. Did you ever get fruit?

What other crazy rules, myths and scare tactics did they use to keep you in line?

by Anonymousreply 169October 14, 2024 8:23 PM

I got a handful of loose popcorn from an old hippie who reeked of weed.

by Anonymousreply 170October 14, 2024 8:25 PM

My Grandma loved to tell the story of my aunt going to the home of a wealthy judge. He plopped a hunk of leftover roast into my aunt's trick or treat bag.

by Anonymousreply 171October 14, 2024 8:28 PM

Boxes of sunmaid raisins

by Anonymousreply 172October 14, 2024 9:26 PM

It would be fun to have adult trick or treating with edibles. Obviously not for your stuffy or low rent friends, but you can get some individually wrapped ones and pass them out. Or a small festive bowl for your party.

by Anonymousreply 173October 14, 2024 9:45 PM

Saran-wrapped popcorn balls. Nice gesture, giving something homemade, but, to be honest, nobody touched that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 174October 14, 2024 10:44 PM

R170, I once got some loose Cheez Waffies when a teenager, munching on these once-ubiquitous snacks from Wise, answered the door and said "oh, shit, I forgot it was Halloween. Well, here, have some of these."

By the way, Cheez Waffies are disgusting but delicious. Supposedly, they're back on the market, but I haven't seen any in stores around here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175October 15, 2024 8:39 AM

Ass Mints

by Anonymousreply 176October 15, 2024 9:56 AM

The faculty apartments I lived in between ages 7 and 15 were a trick-or treater's paradise EXCEPT some of the foreign junior faculty types had zero clue about Halloween and you'd occasionally get a snippy Eastern European chewing you out for ringing their doorbell. (Then put up a sign, ya commie!) Some older kids swore a non-American lady once (unwittingly?) handed out chocolate Ex-Lax. Of course, I now recognize that was likely an urban legend and I feel like I've lost a piece of my youth.

by Anonymousreply 177October 15, 2024 12:16 PM

We would get the tiny box of raisisns too but I swear they had been bought in January. They were hard as rocks! Kind of like eating the JuJubes you'd get at the movies.

Mom would always tell us not to eat any candy before we got home so she could inspect it. But we'd get handfuls of candy corn and eat that while out trick or treating. One year, i overdid it on the CC and would get nauseous just looking at the stuff. Unfortunately, I've gotten over that and will indulge in a 10-12 each year. As a matter of fact, someone put a ceramic basket of CC in the cube next to mine. Thank God, I only go the offie 2x week.

by Anonymousreply 178October 15, 2024 12:41 PM

Candy choice indicates Ina Garten is one sick chick-o-stick.

by Anonymousreply 179October 15, 2024 3:42 PM

Here's an alternative, R176. Now available on Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 15, 2024 5:42 PM

I trick or treated in the 60s and early 70s in NY suburbia. Yes we got a bit a fruit. It wasn't a scandal to us. But we also got real, homemade candy apples and caramel apples. Which were good.

There was never the slightest intervention by parents on our sacks of loot. Not that I remember in my waking hours, at least. I liked the cold halloween nights the best. It was spooky and few kids were out for less time, so more candy for us die hard trick or treaters.

by Anonymousreply 181October 15, 2024 5:48 PM

I got a rock…

by Anonymousreply 182October 15, 2024 5:52 PM

I always thought it was cool getting the homemade popcorn balls. My mom would never let me eat them though. Also, I wasn't a fan of getting pennies in my Halloween haul, but there was always a house that gave out quarters by the handful. We'd get hopped up on sugar and head to the video arcade.

by Anonymousreply 183October 15, 2024 5:57 PM

Growing up in Brooklyn late 1960s- mid 1970s I would go tick or treating with siblings and friends on my block. At least half the candy was bad, but we would also get some excellent candy bars, and sometimes dimes. The best was a middle aged woman who would get dressed up as a different character each year, decorate her front door with a distinct Halloween theme, with haunting music playing from the stereo, and give out the best candy. One year it was truly amazing candy apples, the next cupcakes with over the top Halloween icing and decorations, and the next this unique caramel apples. It's a lasting memory I have of someone who truly enjoyed making kids excited and happy.

by Anonymousreply 184October 15, 2024 7:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!