Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends...

What are our thoughts on this charming Colonial abode in the nation's candy capital: Hershey, PA? It predates the Civil War! Just an utterly adorable little pad for a cute couple.

The interior, however, is a bigger ... challenge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2024 1:13 AM

Of all the homes that should NOT have an abundance of electric blue...

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2024 10:16 PM

Cute exterior. Looks like a doll's house.

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2024 10:19 PM

The interior has ceiling issues.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2024 10:25 PM

what a dump. And all the pictures are face tuned. The exterior shots look like newspaper cartoon images.

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2024 10:29 PM

Scary.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2024 10:32 PM

A crime scene of a home.

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2024 10:56 PM

Extensive “Live Laugh Love” mitigation needed.

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2024 11:00 PM

And its neighbor on one side is a parking lot with a clothing donation box. Such scenery!

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2024 11:04 PM

How does the agent and photographer NOT declutter just a little bit for these photos? I don't understand it.

To have open extra toilet paper rolls around the tub and other stupid stuff everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2024 11:09 PM

Needs a lot of work but I like the cozy scale.

by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2024 11:09 PM

How would one enjoy living in Hershey, PA? I’m guessing mixed bag, but what do I know.

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2024 11:11 PM

Is it a trans home? The colors say so.

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2024 11:14 PM

Original owners selling?

by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2024 11:18 PM

No, honey, no.

Un tel désastre.

by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2024 11:18 PM

is that a sealed up well in the middle of the living room (the round, glass-covered thing)?

by Anonymousreply 15October 8, 2024 11:18 PM

No comment.

by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2024 11:18 PM

"Buyers financing fell through" = the bank's appraiser took one look at that place and said it was worth nowhere near $340K.

by Anonymousreply 17October 8, 2024 11:24 PM

I date a guy from Hershey once. I got a lot of Hershey highway jokes.

by Anonymousreply 18October 8, 2024 11:44 PM

Can you please tell a Hershey Highway Joke, R18?

by Anonymousreply 19October 8, 2024 11:48 PM

WHY is a medium-size wardrobe completely blocking access to a very large closet? Thats some ROSEMARYS BABY stuff right there.

by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2024 12:02 AM

The inside looks very nice, but I really never liked the Colonial look of houses. Depressing as hell.

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2024 12:04 AM

[quote]WHY is a medium-size wardrobe completely blocking access to a very large closet? Thats some ROSEMARYS BABY stuff right there.

I suspect that is not a closet but pocket doors leading into another room.

by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2024 12:47 AM

I suspect that is not a closet but the gaping mouth of Hell itself.

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2024 12:49 AM

The bedrooms look like colorized versions of NY tenements from the early1900s. With all those beds, they either have a lot of kids are running a flop house.

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2024 1:31 AM

Hershey?

***kisses doll***

by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2024 1:34 AM

Pretty house. Beautiful even. However I can't recall the last time I saw a house so poorly decorated. Plus I could live there. All I would think of was Hershey squirts.

by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2024 1:36 AM

Agree with R20…the furniture blocking both the bedroom closet and the kitchen door makes one wonder what’s behind there.

I visited Hershey as a kid, but the community’s amenities, taxes, transportation options and infrastructure were not top-of-mind.

by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2024 2:02 AM

I love and would move there in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2024 2:07 AM

My computer-workin’ kin tells me theys enough white people there-in to live thare, but Herbert from Northernmost Longview says I could only git 20 thousand for the double, so Ima gonna has to pass.

by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2024 2:13 AM

I didn't see any of the famous Hershey's Kiss-shaped streetlights. Do they still have them?

by Anonymousreply 30October 9, 2024 2:42 AM

It has a lot of light throughout, that’s about the only thing I can say in its favor.

Some shelter program should buy it and make the gut renovation the subject of their show for a season.

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2024 2:49 AM

Technically speaking, that's not Hershey, no matter what they say in the ad. Union Deposit is Union Deposit, and not Hershey. If that place was actually in Hershey, it would be worth that much. OTOH, if that place was actually in Hershey, it would have been renovated a long time ago.

The "main drag" through Hershey is Cocoa Ave., not "Main St." Cocoa Ave. is where the Hershey Kiss streetlights are. It's kind of sad now, though --they tore down the original factory in 2012, so Hershey no longer smells like you are immersed in a bucket of chocolate when you drive through. My mother worked in that factory for 15 years, and I took a tour of the actual factory when I was seven years old and my mom's mother worked there. I'll never forget it -- when my group of Brownies walked past her "line," she threw me chocolate kisses.

So if you would want to buy that place (I wouldn't), I'd offer 250K [bold]at the most.[/bold] There's certainly none of the ambiance of the town of Hershey, which is kinda nice, if a bit pretentious for what it is. And old homes like that in PA are a dime a dozen.

A small PA town that really is worth checking out is Lititz. Or Ephrata. Classic old homes, and PA Dutch Country at its best.

by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2024 3:20 AM

It's really cute and I love all that brick.

Some of you guys need to start seeing past the damn furniture and decorations. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 33October 9, 2024 5:21 AM

Three rolls of toilet paper, must be prolapsed!

by Anonymousreply 34October 9, 2024 5:49 AM

[quote]Union Deposit is Union Deposit, and not Hershey. If that place was actually in Hershey, it would be worth that much. OTOH, if that place was actually in Hershey, it would have been renovated a long time ago.

Agreed all around, R32.

Pennsylvania has some of the absolute best historic architecture in the U.S. and some of the best prices and opportunities, the problem is that the great majority of Pennsylvania towns and cities are sad and dumpy and unlikely to be part of any upswing in my lifetime.

Pleasant facade but a dreary street view, and who knows what might turn up in that vast double-wide dead-end beside the house. The interior is a complete disaster on the ground floor, incorporating shitty additions and what looks like a generation or three of home incomplete home "improvements" atop one another. There's nothing left of the ground floor; it's all been consumed in trashy bad ideas never completed before launching even worse ideas.

There's no point financially or preservation-wise to spill much money into this house, neither in buying it nor trying to rescue it. There are better places to spend money to better ends.

by Anonymousreply 35October 9, 2024 6:10 AM

R32, thanks for the info. I knew something was "off" with the listing, if only because I remembered that the town of Hershey wasn't established until the 20th century (some of the trivia you learn as a fat kid who ate way too much candy), but being in a much less charming, Hershey-adjacent town tracks.

And excellent synopsis, R35. I figured there were possibly multiple layers of terrible renovations to the place, and clearly most of the original ground floor is long gone. Also agreed re: PA architecture: even Philly row houses are an insane steal nowadays. (Even with all the crime & unrest.) If it was *in* Hershey, that'd be one thing, but why the fuck buy this place when VASTLY less cluttered / complicated homes of similar historic provenance are also available nearby?

by Anonymousreply 36October 9, 2024 10:02 PM

So it’s on the Hershey highway. Innovative staging. Like a Tracey Emin thing.

by Anonymousreply 37October 9, 2024 10:07 PM

Looks as if the place is owned ny relatives of the Collyer Brothers. It's stuffed with crap. Total redo.

Are there three kitchens?

It's next to a store with a parking lot?

Do they have two outhouses?

$200,000 overpriced. It could become a great house if you sink $250,000 into it...but who wants it? Horrible location no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 38October 9, 2024 10:22 PM

It'll be okay once you get a few dumpsters and get rid of all of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2024 10:30 PM

The interior looks like a few dozen people live there. Too cluttered for viewing

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2024 10:34 PM

Holy shit, R38, I totally missed the outhouses!! I think you're right - not sure what else they could be. And great Collyer Brothers analogy!

It has two kitchens, not three (the second one was shot from two very different angles, but if you look closely you can tell they're the same room), but that's admittedly odd, particularly since the main kitchen is the one room in the house that's not hideous. Considering it has an obvious, and horrible, rear add-on, I'm wondering if a prior owner maybe added a rear apartment in the '50s or something to make extra money from it.

Btw it's next door to a church, which isn't great but is definitely preferable to any store. (You only have to deal with traffic once or twice a week, and they don't have those obnoxiously bright lights for evening shoppers.)

by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2024 10:37 PM

the interior looks like a big huge dorm room.

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2024 10:46 PM

Is that a mirror in the bathroom or are you looking outside straight into a brick wall?

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2024 11:29 PM

Thank you, R41. The big kitchen is a good space, but needs a redo like the rest of the house. Even if it's a church, you are next to a parking lot.

The house must be on a main drag. Pre-Civil War houses were built near roads oftentimes, and though they may be charming but the roads are now major thoroughfares.

My grandmother are u on a farm that dated to the 18th century. The oldest part of the house was built in the late 18th/early 19th centuries. The newer part of the farmhouse was built in 1850. The house was close to the road...beautiful hardwood floors, mantelpieces, large rooms et al. But it was almost right up against a road which in the late 20th century had become a state Route.

by Anonymousreply 44October 10, 2024 1:07 AM

R44, it's on the "main drag," but as noted upthread, the house may be in modern-day Hershey's city limits, but it's *located* in a small town called Union Deposit. Its Main Street is less than a half-mile long! You can see for yourself on Google Maps below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 10, 2024 6:12 PM

Um don’t Americans stage homes for sale? What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 46October 10, 2024 6:29 PM

It’s for a young motivated flipper.

by Anonymousreply 47October 10, 2024 9:57 PM

Does Main street run into Hershey Highway?

by Anonymousreply 48October 11, 2024 1:34 AM

It has plenty of off-street parking, a shed adjacent outhouse(in case you get the Hershey's squirts) and THE CONJURING style, tire swing. Also, the home includes a vintage, jetted(yeast spreader) bathtub for relaxing or doing laundry. If you don't snap it up, I will. Ah, ha ha ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 49October 11, 2024 1:44 AM

The exterior is beautiful, the interior is good in parts but where it is not good, it is really really bad. As R35 says it has multiple half assed renovations on the ground floor, and then there's all those ceilings that need to go

by Anonymousreply 50October 11, 2024 5:40 AM

You'd think one of the fat DL whores would have bought this dump by now. The only insulation the house probably has are candy bar wrappers.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2024 1:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!