Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carol Burnett wanted to play Mame

I used to love Burnett but this casting would have been almost as bad as Lucy. She can't project glamour, elegance or sophistication but worse, she's proven she has surprisingly little skill at Musical Comedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2024 1:47 AM

OP. Who do you consider to be good at musical comedy if not Carol Burnett?

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2024 8:48 PM

Cybill Shepherd would make a fabulous Mame. And she can sing.

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2024 8:50 PM

Yes. Cybill IS Auntie Cunt!!

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2024 8:56 PM

Carol is a Gooch. Not a Mame.

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2024 8:58 PM

I agree with you, op. I'd like to see her in Once Upon a Mattress, though she was awful in Annie, even if everyone else seems to have loved her.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2024 8:59 PM

[quote] though she was awful in Annie, even if everyone else seems to have loved her.

Self-awareness isn’t your strong suit, is it?

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2024 9:03 PM

I guess Gary talked Carol out of Mame so Lucy could play it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2024 9:05 PM

Carol play Mame 8x a week? Oh, please.

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2024 9:05 PM

Michelle Pfeiffer would make a great Mame.

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2024 9:05 PM

Those Sylvia Kaye Fine productions where she did, among others, Joanne in Company (Ladies Who Lunch was a disaster) and Ado Annie in Oklahoma (I Cain't Say No, ditto) were horrible examples. When they were trying to get Angela the part in the movie, they recommended Bette Davis for Vera and Carol for Gooch. Her Miss Hannigan was not funny, not scary, not musical.

by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2024 9:06 PM

Madeline Kahn would have been a spectacular Vera. Although some have stumped her for Mame, her persona becomes tiresome in the lead. As a supporting actor, she can steal any project.

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2024 9:07 PM

Catherine Zeta Jones should have played Mame after she played Desiree. She has the warmth, the voice and the sophistication. Alas, I doubt we'll ever see her on Broadway again.

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2024 9:08 PM

Here is the PBS special where they did Company. Richard Chamberlain is surprisingly wonderful and would have made a great Robert onstage. Bernadette shows why Broadway would fall in love with her in a decade or so. Sandy Duncan isn't the best singer for Another Hundred People but she pulls it off well. Only Carol really disappoints.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2024 9:12 PM

What some of you seem to forget is that Mame is a triple threat role. All of your suggestions are lacking a threat...or two. Angie had to execute Onna White choreography and did so very successfully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2024 9:15 PM

R14, I love Angie but let's face it, she's not the greatest singer, either. She was supposed to release an album of standards and it was so bad that she bought back her contract so it wouldn't be released.

by Anonymousreply 15October 8, 2024 9:21 PM

She's 91 now she should enjoy her retirement and not work.

by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2024 9:27 PM

Linda Dano, dinner theatre Mame

by Anonymousreply 17October 8, 2024 9:34 PM

The entire Sylvia Kaye Fine special. Carol's murder of I Cain't starts around 44:00. I had forgotten how superb John Davidson was. Yes, that John Davidson. Almost ideal casting for Curly. But Sylvia is one of the worst hosts I've ever seen, sort of Kitty Carlisle with a charisma bypass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 8, 2024 9:37 PM

[quote]I love Angie but let's face it, she's not the greatest singer, either.

Angela was an actress who sang, r15. Suitable for character songs, not necessarily an entire recording of pop standards. You may not like her *sound*, but she is a very good singer. I love her voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 8, 2024 9:43 PM

The Dano Mame was not well received R17 even by undemanding audiences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 8, 2024 9:49 PM

R18, SILVIA FINE Kaye. Kaye was her married name tacked on (sometimes)

by Anonymousreply 21October 8, 2024 10:00 PM

How daring and brave!

[quote]a quote from Ms. Dano to a CBS reporter:

[quote]“Have I lost my mind? I don't sing, I don't dance, and I've never been on a stage, never,” said Dano.

by Anonymousreply 22October 8, 2024 10:03 PM

^ What could go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 23October 8, 2024 10:04 PM

Did Gary talk Carol out of it?

by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2024 10:11 PM

R6 thinks obnoxious mugging is art.

by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2024 10:13 PM

Carol is Miss Gooch, maybe Vera, but definitely not Mame

by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2024 10:18 PM

Burnett pitches Ladies Who Lunch (and her Miss Hannigan) as if she’s playing Margie MacDougall.

Burnett as Margie and a young Bernadette as Fran would have been pretty great casting in a tenth year anniversary revival of Promises, Promises.

by Anonymousreply 27October 8, 2024 10:44 PM

What a delight

by Anonymousreply 28October 8, 2024 10:47 PM

She was too young for the movie but I would have liked Beverly Archer as Gooch. We'll always know her as Iola but she was also hilarious as the Miss Hathaway type on Married With Children and as long as they cut Gooch's Song, she'd have been a scream.

And what of Bernie? I could have seen her do Mame around 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 29October 8, 2024 10:51 PM

Carol would have been brilliant! And Harvey Korman would have killed as Vera!

by Anonymousreply 30October 8, 2024 10:58 PM

I love Carol, but she's a bit past her prime for the role of Mame.

Has she considered "Gypsy?"

by Anonymousreply 31October 8, 2024 11:25 PM

Carol...how about "Driving Miss Daisy."

by Anonymousreply 32October 8, 2024 11:26 PM

Has there ever been a movie cast solely with old stars in their 90s?

I remember enjoying a small old Canadian movie about a bunch of retired old ladies on a bus tour and the younger woman driver gets lost and the bus breaks down on some backroad in the woods in the middle of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 33October 8, 2024 11:46 PM

Thank you for your kind words, r12. As you must know, i was actually chosen to play Frederika, but i decided to play Desiree as a challenge. Unfortunately, though i did my usual best, my youthful good looks simply made too unconvincing given the extreme age gap

by Anonymousreply 34October 8, 2024 11:50 PM

[quote] she's proven she has surprisingly little skill at Musical Comedy.

What a wise statement. Yes, she was such a notorious disaster in "Once Upon a Mattress." How could she have ever thought she would make it on the musical comedy stage after that fiasco?

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2024 11:53 PM

As we all know, 25 years ago there was the talk that Streisand was going to produce, direct and star as 'Mame' for ABC (when they were doing musicals each season).It dragged on and on, until she announced she was not going to star but just produce and direct - and she wanted Cher, whom Jerry Herman wanted / not wanted (depending on who was telling the story).

At the end of 2002, Herman pulled the Streisand / ABC TV deal because he announced he was working on a 2003-04 Broadway revival starring Michele Lee (who had just finished a two year Tony-nominated run in 'Tales of the Allergist's Wife'). He then put it on hold, as he wanted to bring his revival of 'La Cage' to Broadway first, which he did at the end of 2004. Lee's "Mame" was then supposed to premiere in the fall of 2005. Herman had so much trouble with the 'La Cage' revival (bad reviews, bad box office, bad backstage fighting) the revival closed six months later and Herman walked away from the 'Mame' revival.

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2024 11:54 PM

[quote] Has there ever been a movie cast solely with old stars in their 90s?

Yes, Rose. There was the special nonagenarian production of "Annie" at the Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater in Jupiter, FL. The late Luise Rainer absolutely killed in the title role.

by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2024 11:56 PM

But she can't sing!

by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2024 11:59 PM

Time has allowed steader heads to prevail when it comes to Lucy's performance in Mame. At the time of its release, the American public was not willing to allow that slapstick Lucy Ricardo could pass for sophisticated Mame. Now with time and perspective her performancer in Mame can be appreciated for the triumph it actually was. No, she didn't have the best voice. No, she was not a good dancer, but she's positiviely mezmerizing as Mame, you can't keep your eyes off of her. Slowly but surely Mame is becoming an American classic as more and more people add it to their annual must-see holiday viewing.

by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2024 12:06 AM

Harvey Korman was cast but Gary talked him out of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2024 12:08 AM

[quote]Slowly but surely Mame is becoming an American classic as more and more people add it to their annual must-see holiday viewing.

WHAAAAAAAAAAT ? Who are these strange people you speak of ?

by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2024 12:11 AM

[quote]as long as they cut Gooch's Song

She has two, r29. One of them opens the show.

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2024 12:28 AM

R42, the name of her horrible solo is Gooch's Song.

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2024 12:40 AM

R39. Thank you, Lucie!

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2024 12:44 AM

What director could have done the movie Mame? George Cukor dropped out and did the similar Travels With My Aunt and he likely would have found a better costume designer than Thea Van Runkle. With Lucy as the star and Cukor as director, it would still seem too old. Fosse never would have done it. Stanley Donen was only about 50 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2024 12:51 AM

[quote] What director could have done the movie Mame?

Still starring Lucille Ball?

How about Tobe Hooper?

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2024 12:55 AM

Ball loved doing the movie so much, she had ABC turn it into a TV series in 1986 and called it 'Life With Lucy'.

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2024 1:00 AM

She would have been a better Mame than Rose.

by Anonymousreply 48October 9, 2024 1:02 AM

Stop it, r39, you're making me nauseated.

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2024 1:05 AM

[quote] Madeline Kahn would have been a spectacular Vera. Although some have stumped her for Mame, her persona becomes tiresome in the lead.

R11 Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2024 1:08 AM

[quote]Catherine Zeta Jones should have played Mame after she played Desiree. She has the warmth, the voice and the sophistication. Alas, I doubt we'll ever see her on Broadway again.

Not unless there's a revival of "13."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2024 1:25 AM

Sheryl Lee Ralph has my vote for 'Mame' in a revival. Marla Gibbs as 'Gooch'.

by Anonymousreply 52October 9, 2024 1:26 AM

Marla Gibbs is 93. Pregnancy would be hard to justify.

by Anonymousreply 53October 9, 2024 1:44 AM

Have you no faith in the comedic talents of Gibbs ? Seriously ? She could pull it off. Give her the chance.

by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2024 1:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!