Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Weird random DIY things your father did that seem impractical now

Two things come to mind for me:

1. Changing his own oil instead of scheduling service

2. Renting a carpet cleaner from the grocery store instead of hiring a service. That was a lot of backbreaking work when a professional could have had it done in 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2024 2:33 AM

Carpet cleaning is exhausting. Thank god carpets are (mostly) out these days!

by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2024 12:54 AM

Maybe he paid for your vacations with the money he saved?

Or maybe he derived a sense of accomplishment from doing the work himself?

Sometimes practicality isn’t a priority.

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2024 12:55 AM

I LOVED Rug Doctor, steaming mad at dirt. You could rent them at the grocery store back home in WI. Bygone days.

by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2024 12:58 AM

My dad worked three jobs his entire working life and DESPISED any kind of DIY home tasks other than putting up wallpaper. Even then, he did that exactly twice. For everything else he hired someone to take care of it. Smart man.

by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2024 12:59 AM

R2 I think men of that generation just liked to do things themselves because it made them feel like real men. My father loved remodeling the kitchen by himself, even though it looked like shit.

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2024 1:01 AM

Prehaps your Dad was trying to save a little money.

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2024 1:24 AM

My dad did most everything himself, from cleaning carpet with a rented cleaner to turning a porch into a kitchen. … and he did it all really well. The only thing I can think of that they hired out was putting in an in-ground pool. (No doubt paid for with all the money they saved doing their own handiwork.)

I wish I’d paid more attention to what he was doing growing up. Luckily, my brothers did, and they and my dad have taken care of anything I’ve needed at my house.

by Anonymousreply 7October 7, 2024 1:38 AM

Your father was pinching pennies to put his ingrate fruit of a worthless son thru college.

by Anonymousreply 8October 7, 2024 1:41 AM

I changed my own oil before I went EV. It saved me hundreds of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 9October 7, 2024 1:59 AM

R3 here - worth mentioning I no longer clean my own carpeting or furniture and never again has it been done as well. Dad for the win, OP!

by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2024 2:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!