Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Funhouse" (1981) directed by Tobe Hooper

This sleazy slasher-turned-monster movie from Tobe Hooper is among my favorites of its type, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of fanfare. I bought the Scream Factory 4K disc this week and watched it—highly recommended Halloweentime viewing. Sylvia Miles as the rancid fortune teller carny whore is possibly the scariest thing about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2024 1:04 AM

I consider this one of the most underrated and scariest films I’ve ever seen. The monster makeup was horrifying.

The book it’s based on is very good. In the book, the monster and the final girl were actually siblings but neither sibling knew that.

by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2024 12:40 AM

Cooper Huckabee was hot in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2024 1:16 AM

Only memorable for actor Cooper Huckabee who was at his finest in 1981. He's aged like milk, but Good God -- then! That body alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2024 1:28 AM

And more Cooper without the jacket. Those arms! I need my smelling salts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2024 1:31 AM

WHET Largo Woodruff? She had a nice screen presence in this and was very beautiful. I found her more likable than Elizabeth Berridge. I am sort of surprised she didn't have a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2024 1:45 AM

I want cooper in my pooper.

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2024 1:50 AM

R2, I read the book years before seeing the movie and was actually disappointed in the film because the book was so much better developed. Unusual for a screenplay novelization but it’s by Dean Koontz under a pseudonym so the talent was better than average

Over the years I’ve come to appreciate the film for what it is. Some really creepy atmosphere and great supporting characters. Love the super creepy animatronics in the opening credits

by Anonymousreply 7October 7, 2024 1:51 AM

The scene in the fortune teller's tent where Miles gets pissed at the kids and lapses from that phony European accent into her raunchy New Yorker accent is golden.

by Anonymousreply 8October 7, 2024 1:55 AM

I think it's underrated.

It's a slice of seamy atmosphere and captures the sleazy, off-kilter, surreal and slightly menacing vibe of a 1970s/80s carnival.

The opening scene is an annoyance and the little kid brother subplot is never integrated into the film.

The novel is surprisingly good. A remake that followed its greatly expanded plot would be a potential new horror classic.

by Anonymousreply 9October 7, 2024 3:27 AM

Koontz wrote it under the name Owen West.

by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2024 3:38 AM

I thought Owen West was Ramsey Campbell?

by Anonymousreply 11October 7, 2024 3:39 AM

The Funhouse definitely plays much better than the usual early 80s slasher film. Whatever people think about Hooper, he took his work seriously and he knew how to make a horror film. He had just done the TV miniseries of Salem's Lot, which was excellent. Unfortunately, the whole Poltergeist controversy killed his career. Personally, I believe he directed the entire thing. I think Spielberg was up his ass, and probably insisted on certain things done certain ways (and also tried to undermine him), and once you go up against Spielberg, your career is over.

The Funhouse is one of my favorite horror films and I've bought it in almost every iteration, VHS, DVD, US blu ray, UK blu ray and now 4K.

by Anonymousreply 12October 7, 2024 3:52 AM

Elizabeth Berridge had an odd career. This film then Amadeus then nothing else of note. Funny she got Amadeus when she was best known as a scream queen. (After Meg Tilly had to drop out of Amadeus due to injury.)

by Anonymousreply 13October 7, 2024 3:59 AM

Eaten Alive is also underrated. It's very well-acted and a portrait of intersecting madness - every single character is nuttier than a fucking fruitcake, but only one has a pet crocodile.

by Anonymousreply 14October 7, 2024 4:01 AM

I heard Stephen King once threatened to kick Dean right in the Koontz bone.

by Anonymousreply 15October 7, 2024 11:40 AM

R14 agreed, Eaten Alive is way underrated and so whacky. Great cast, too.

by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2024 12:49 AM

This was the first movie playing when I started as an usher in school. Now I have the DVD signed by Miles Chapin. Thanks CHILLER!

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2024 1:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!