Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SNL "cold open" from last night

Funny or not?

Kamala as a wine drinking mommy frau?

Doug Emhoff as a wimpy "yes man?"

Joe Biden as a dithering, senile President?

Tim Walz as a gaffe-prone buffoon?

Yeah, not so funny.

I notice they took no shots at Vance or Trump.

No wonder I stopped watching SNL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2024 4:34 AM

I thought the Kamala rally sketch last week was a lot funnier. It's like the B-team wrote this one.

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2024 4:55 PM

I liked it overall.... Rudolph is very good. I think they're hitting Biden below the belt.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2024 5:06 PM

SNL in recent times is DIRE

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2024 5:11 PM

Who will take over once Lorne's deal with Satan isn't renewed? Tina Fey?

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2024 5:12 PM

Showing Kamala as a wine-drinking lush, does nothing to advance the idea of a competent and capable female President and Commander-in-Chief.

Shame on SNL for resorting to stereotypes for professional women, and shame on Maya Rudolph for playing her this way.

I'm surprised they didn't have her cackling, too.

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2024 5:17 PM

I thought it was funny!

They took good shots at everybody, which I appreciate. I am an equal opportunity bully.

Kamala picking Josh and she meant Josh Wine was funny.

Biden stopping mid sentence.

Walz and Vance connecting with each other and not answering the questions directly.

Kamala saying "remember when I told him his crowds were small and I blew up his brain?"

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2024 5:22 PM

I really get tired of the press and comics (late night talk show hosts monologues for example) that always have to pull SOMETHING out on a Democrat to seem 'balanced'.

It's NOT balanced - they're fucking crazy, mean and stupid on the right. Then they pull out a 'he's old' line for Biden. As if Trump isn't displaying massive cognitive decline.

God knows the right-wing shit never looks for balance. I'm tired of having everyone slip in these bullshit made-up jokes and defamation of Dem politicians in the sake of balance.

I'm in favor of equal opportunity bully - IF both sides has done something stupid or abhorrent. I'm tired of MAKING SHIT UP to land a joke for balance.

by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2024 5:25 PM

Bowen Yang as Vance! WTF!!!

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2024 5:26 PM

It was a solid cold open.

Jim Gaffigan is a terrific Tim Walz.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2024 5:31 PM

Not funny, not relevant, not sensible.

And the fucking "cold open" shit is just a "pre-titles skit."

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2024 5:33 PM

They had the woman sitting at home on the sofa, watching the debate while having a glass of wine - like thousands of other women (and men) across the country did that night.

I'm worried, too, but Jesus Christ, some of you people are overwrought.

Get your blood pressure checked, there's a month to go.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2024 6:16 PM

Not as funny as the real thing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2024 6:21 PM

R12 And that's not as funny as the believable rumor your boy Vance fucks couches.

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2024 7:55 PM

Very stupid and unfunny. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2024 7:59 PM

I thought the humor was pretty softball, but amusing.

I have no idea who the host is, but he did well in the (many) sketches he was in. And I thought the show was funny overall. I laughed out loud at the golf film, and the actress doing the Mile High Burger Challenge really went for it and was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2024 8:40 PM

that needs to be fact checked R13

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2024 11:55 PM

One thing I hate about the modern era cold opens is how they all begin with raucous applause. Not so long ago, the opening really did start cold most of the time. Now, the fire up the applause sign so that the audience loses its shit just virtue of the camera going live.

by Anonymousreply 17October 7, 2024 12:23 AM

Not. Remotely . Funny.

Hasn't been for like, decades.

Even Nate Bargatze was a total flop. Nate Bargatze!!! He's a genius and yet on SNL, he's a flop.

by Anonymousreply 18October 7, 2024 12:51 AM

I'm more infuriated by Kamala and other Dems praising the Cheney's and lauding their service than by anything that's on SNL.

But that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 19October 7, 2024 1:35 AM

Why the fuck would they joke about Kamala Harris drinking wine, when Trump has tried to paint her as a drunk? That is very irresponsible.

by Anonymousreply 20October 7, 2024 2:43 AM

[quote] Why the fuck would they joke about Kamala Harris drinking wine, when Trump has tried to paint her as a drunk?

I never heard that.

by Anonymousreply 21October 7, 2024 2:51 AM

I assume his team was behind this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 7, 2024 2:54 AM

OP- Don't bother.

Only watch episodes of SNL from 1975 to 1979.

by Anonymousreply 23October 7, 2024 2:57 AM

R23 Or 1985-1991

Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Dana Carvey, Nora Dunn, Kevin Nealon, Victoria Jackson, Jon Lovitz, Mike Myers, A. Whitney Brown, and Dennis Miller were all pretty damn funny

by Anonymousreply 24October 7, 2024 3:09 AM

I feel like the overhyping of SNL that’s going to happen this year, what with all the 50th anniversary hullabaloo and the movie that just came out, is actually going to have the opposite effect. The show is just so weak right now. No one from this cast pops, despite some of them having been there for many years. The writing is really pedestrian. More attention might not be a good thing.

And yea, I know people have been constantly saying the show isn’t as good as it used to be (something Michaels has been deftly saying since the mid 70s to get in front of criticisms). This is different though. It’s like it has no spark.

by Anonymousreply 25October 7, 2024 12:27 PM

I have always felt SNL was at its strongest when it had a stable of characters you looked forward to seeing. Go back over the years and people can still name characters that made them laugh. It generally helped the show limp along and overcome the sketch stuff. SNL was also very good at parody commercials. But their situation comedy sketch stuff is always the weakest content (though presumably the cheapest to produce, hence why there's so much of it.) I don't know why they're so crap at making real life funny but year over year, SNL is pretty awful at it.

by Anonymousreply 26October 7, 2024 2:46 PM

Maybe the difference is that the early years were all cocaine fueled. My neighbor used to be a cameraman when it started and he eventually had to move to the carolinas to get away so he could end his addiction. Just like music everything was fueled by drugs so things came out better for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 27October 7, 2024 3:06 PM

As if SNL didn't have enough jump the shark moments, they give that keyboard playing train wreck bitch a spot on weekend update. WHAT.WAS.THAT?!?! Her acting in the water park sketch was pathetic too. How do they select these no talent wannabes?

by Anonymousreply 28October 7, 2024 3:21 PM

It sucked. SNL has sucked for a very long time now.

by Anonymousreply 29October 7, 2024 3:57 PM

It was funny.

Jim Gaffigan as Tim Walz was great!

Nice to see Bowan Yang attentive to timing. He's usually just rushing through his lines and making faces but he did a decent job here.

Kamala as a lush was a good choice considering some of her loopy public appearances. We really need the cackle though.

by Anonymousreply 30October 7, 2024 3:58 PM

You're an idiot, R30.

And clearly MAGA.

by Anonymousreply 31October 7, 2024 9:38 PM

How dare anyone poke fun at Kamala! How dare they!

(idiot at R31)

by Anonymousreply 32October 7, 2024 9:48 PM

Well, Walz is a buffoon.

by Anonymousreply 33October 7, 2024 10:44 PM

And Juh Biden is a dithering, senile President.

by Anonymousreply 34October 7, 2024 10:46 PM

[Quote] Why the fuck would they joke about Kamala Harris drinking wine, when Trump has tried to paint her as a drunk? That is very irresponsible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 9, 2024 6:57 PM

SNL cold open 10/12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2024 4:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!