Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Upscale NYC restaurant staff ate half of this man's birthday cake!

This nice man baked a 15-layer Funfetti birthday cake decorated with meringue and rainbow cookies and French buttercream for his friend's birthday. He took it to the high-end restaurant for the birthday dinner, and it was taken back into the kitchen. After dinner, they served very slim slices of the cake to them. The slices should have been 3x thicker than the ones they served. I feel so sorry for this sweet man.

Then the story took a surprising turn.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 6, 2024 5:47 AM

There's a hell of lot more to this story we don't know.

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2024 7:49 PM

That's hilarious.

Kudos to the kitchen staff.

They deserved the cake, and I'm sure they thoroughly enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2024 7:50 PM

Dumbbell - He brings a homemade birthday cake to a restaurant. You eat dinner in the restaurant then go home to eat the homemade birthday cake.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2024 7:56 PM

The staff admitted to eating the other half after giving flimsy slices to the birthday party guest. That's really fucking outrageous! Wait staff are the most entitled pieces of shit on earth. They are overpaid and really unskilled labor.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2024 8:03 PM

That degree of cake fuckery warrants a free meal.

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2024 8:03 PM

[quote]They deserved the cake, and I'm sure they thoroughly enjoyed it.

No, they deserve their paycheque.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2024 8:03 PM

[quote]They deserved the cake, and I'm sure they thoroughly enjoyed it.

He made that cake as a birthday present for his friend. It took him 5-6 hours and cost him a lot of money. The staff did not deserved to eat half the cake. At best, they could have cut a THIN slice and shared it amongst themselves, with each of them taking a bite.

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2024 8:03 PM

After asking permission to do so.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2024 8:06 PM

I don’t think I would have expected the leftover cake to be returned. I also don’t think “bring your own dessert” to the restaurant is really a thing. Those slices were a bit on thin stingy side. Perhaps the restaurant staff was conveying their thanks for having their income’s reduced by the value of tips on 12 desserts.

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2024 8:10 PM

The restaurant staff must have had a good laugh about this.

I'm sure it looked like a feeding frenzy back there.

One person probably tried a slice, and then another, and then another.... and then POOF!

The cake was all gone.

Hahahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2024 8:11 PM

If he had more friends, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2024 8:13 PM

NO cake for YOU!

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2024 8:13 PM

[quote] I also don’t think “bring your own dessert” to the restaurant is really a thing.

Of course it is. Most often they charge a fee to cut and plate (around 5 bux per) but it's a thing.

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2024 8:13 PM

Well, I hope they didn't leave a tip. They agreed to serve the cake, so they lose.

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2024 8:14 PM

The best part of the story is that we not only ate the leftover cake. We sold a few slices to other customers as a special.

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2024 8:14 PM

Didn’t he already post a new vid saying they didn’t eat it and there was just a miscommunication and they threw it out not knowing he wanted it back?

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2024 8:14 PM

[quote] Of course it is. Most often they charge a fee to cut and plate (around 5 bux per) but it's a thing.

You’re actually mostly agreeing with me if you think they would have been charged $60 for the service.

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2024 8:16 PM

Restaurant staff were assholes and/or dumbasses.

The remaining cake should've remained untouched and saved unless permission was given otherwise. If your restaurant doesn't want to serve someone else's cake (many are OK with it for a cutting/serving fee), then the proper response is, "Sorry, we don't do that here." But tossing it out or eating it, is not acceptable, no matter the reason. That was not their cake.

by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2024 8:19 PM

I'm not sure what I'm agreeing to R17, but 60 dollars sounds reasonable at a midtown steakhouse.

I don't agree though that they lost out on 12 desserts. Nobody orders that much dessert, least of all the gays.

by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2024 8:20 PM

Why should the wait staff get more money if someone orders a $20 entree vs a $40 entree. They're doing the same work for each?

by Anonymousreply 20October 5, 2024 8:21 PM

Former restaurant / bar worker here, 5 years.

My coworkers and I would never have eaten that cake. I don't think it would have even occurred to me to eat it.

Yes, I can see bringing in your own special cake, just like bringing in a special bottle of wine. Yes, the restaurant will charge for the service, "corkage fee," wine glasses, plates.

Restaurants nowadays don't really make their own desserts, anyway. Seems like they buy premade stuff.

by Anonymousreply 21October 5, 2024 8:22 PM

[quote]r9 = I don’t think I would have expected the leftover cake to be returned. I also don’t think “bring your own dessert” to the restaurant is really a thing.

It wasn't a "dessert", it was a birthday cake.

by Anonymousreply 22October 5, 2024 8:23 PM

He’s annoying. I bet he didn’t shut up about his cake for the entire meal. I realize the clips are about the cake and the restaurant experience, not his friend’s birthday, but he’s not doing something nice for his friend’s birthday, he’s showing off and looking for attention. And he’s not showing a clear view of the width of the cake slice in the clips. The cake also waxed and waned suspiciously in different photos. Looks like a standard 9” diameter cake in the short clip.

There should have been leftovers, but not half the cake after 12 people had a slice and maybe let it go at your friend’s birthday. Unless it was the birthday boy who really wanted to take the rest of the very valuable (several hundreds of dollars!) cake home. Which I doubt.

He has a legitimate gripe about the cake going missing, I just think he also happens to be a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 23October 5, 2024 8:26 PM

I want a slice of that cake so bad! I wish I was his friend so he would make a cake like that for my birthday.

by Anonymousreply 24October 5, 2024 8:30 PM

I agree. The comments about how long it took him to make the cake (5-5 hours, which must include baking and cooling time as “work”) and its value “several hundred dollars” scream “look how selfless I am!” The video itself fits the pattern.

by Anonymousreply 25October 5, 2024 8:31 PM

Restaurants make a lot of money on birthday dinners, so the least they could do is take care of that man's cake. The bill for a 12-person dinner at an upscale NYC steakhouse must have been huge.

by Anonymousreply 26October 5, 2024 8:33 PM

The rule, firm and unwavering, always needs to be NOTHING MAY BE BROUGHT IN FOR CONSUMPTION.

The house, except in a full site rental that no restaurant would consider, would be liable for anything that happened, even with a Little Fat Ass Sprinkle Krinkle Cake carried straight from [italic]She'a's Butter Cakes[/italic] two blocks down Hodiamont.

And the staffs, being culinary-culture lost souls, are always drunk/stoned/depressed fuckers and will eat a guest's cake if they get near it.

Brain is to Zombie as Something Appearing in Kitchen is to Restaurant Staff Rats.

by Anonymousreply 27October 5, 2024 8:35 PM

Lmaooooo who brings their own cake to an upscale NYC dinner? These are transplants and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 28October 5, 2024 8:35 PM

It’s a pretty cake and I think bringing a cake like that to a friend’s birthday is a nice gesture and probably ups the sense of celebration. But if I were doing that, I’d be very low key about it to avoid looking like an asshole trying to take attention away from my friend. I would probably not even volunteer that I had made it myself.

Also, it looks really soggy. It might have been especially hard to cut. Yes, a restaurant should be able to cut and serve a cake, but this was an unfamiliar one.

by Anonymousreply 29October 5, 2024 8:38 PM

It was really dry and too sweet. Obviously a box-cake that should have had a little sour cream or vanilla pudding added.

by Anonymousreply 30October 5, 2024 8:39 PM

Is this guys a professional baker? I’d like to try that cake.

by Anonymousreply 31October 5, 2024 8:42 PM

“Thankfully, I have so many friends that I don’t ever seem to catch a break from making these cakes.”

Asshole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 5, 2024 8:42 PM

Bringing your own cake to an expensive restaurant is really trashy.

by Anonymousreply 33October 5, 2024 8:44 PM

R33 I find it pretty ridiculous too. To a regular place, sure, but if you’re gonna go top tier like you’re rich, order one of their cakes.

by Anonymousreply 34October 5, 2024 8:47 PM

This thread should've started with a poll.

by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2024 8:48 PM

Follow-up. The cake was not eaten. It was simply lost in the kitchen. The restaurant was harassed on social media. They offered him a free meal.

Oh well, just another casualty of getting too close to the light of my being.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2024 8:49 PM

i'd spend the rest of my life getting revenge on that staff like some cape fear shit

by Anonymousreply 37October 5, 2024 8:51 PM

[quote] if you’re gonna go top tier like you’re rich, order one of their cakes.

This was a steak house, not a bakery. Steak houses probably have desserts, but they don't serve entire decorated cakes.

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2024 8:54 PM

[quote]then the proper response is, "Sorry, we don't do that here."

In which Queen Mary would have promptly posted a video dragging the restaurant for ruining a very special occasion.

by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2024 8:59 PM

[quote] The staff did not deserved to eat half the cake. At best, they could have cut a THIN slice and shared it amongst themselves, with each of them taking a bite.

They should have taken one bite, and then solemnly passed the bite from waiter to waiter. And then they should have sat in silence, contemplating what they had done.

by Anonymousreply 40October 5, 2024 9:04 PM

Quality Meats is not a high-end restaurant. It is a generic steakhouse —part of local chain of “quality.”

by Anonymousreply 41October 5, 2024 9:05 PM

Please stop talking about that caaaaaaaaake.

by Anonymousreply 42October 5, 2024 9:10 PM

Did the cake come with Tea, or Mussy, or Thou. of Lipstick or Gerg?

by Anonymousreply 43October 5, 2024 9:15 PM

Missed happy ending: outraged cakemaker flies out control and stabs the waiter with a handy steak knife.

by Anonymousreply 44October 5, 2024 9:17 PM

Did they mention the restaurant's name? I don't see it anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 45October 5, 2024 9:17 PM

Can’t you read? ^^^

It’s called Uncut Meats

by Anonymousreply 46October 5, 2024 9:19 PM

[quote] It was simply lost in the kitchen

Just how big is their kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 47October 5, 2024 9:29 PM

[quote] Most often they charge a fee to cut and plate

Is this like a corking fee? Maybe they charge the amount of their own cheapest dessert (which in the case of Quality Meats's non-sundae options is a $15 Sticky Toffee Pudding).

Wherever did he find a version of the theme from A Summer Place that's even stringier than usual?

by Anonymousreply 48October 5, 2024 9:29 PM

Even with inflation, I can't see that cake costing "several hundreds" of dollars, It looks great, but he's really milking this story for drama.

by Anonymousreply 49October 5, 2024 9:31 PM

It was a kween’s cake—extra $$

by Anonymousreply 50October 5, 2024 9:33 PM

Ugh, I just love a good gay cake saga. I would be deeply appreciative if we could just replace 3/4 of our garbage Gen Z celebrity threads with "This Week in Gay Baked Goods..." stories.

I think it would do wonders for our mental health.

by Anonymousreply 51October 5, 2024 9:33 PM

He's posted two TikToks about it, how is that "milking this story"?

by Anonymousreply 52October 5, 2024 9:33 PM

Two toks too many.

by Anonymousreply 53October 5, 2024 9:34 PM

Quality Meats sounds like a busy truck stop tea room.

by Anonymousreply 54October 5, 2024 9:34 PM

Look at this fucking hipster who bakes.

by Anonymousreply 55October 5, 2024 9:35 PM

The have a back room! Well, they call it private dining. ;)

by Anonymousreply 56October 5, 2024 9:35 PM

IDGI. Slices?!

WTH kind of birthday cake is NOT presented WHOLE to the BIRTHDAY PERSON?!

by Anonymousreply 57October 5, 2024 9:38 PM

r57 It was, then it was taken to the back to be sliced

by Anonymousreply 58October 5, 2024 9:40 PM

What's all this fuss I hear about presenting hole to the birthday person?

by Anonymousreply 59October 5, 2024 9:42 PM

[quote]Perhaps the restaurant staff was conveying their thanks for having their income’s reduced by the value of tips on 12 desserts.

Assuming any of them still have a job after this, then they should take up their disgust with their bosses and demand a decent hourly wage. You don't shit on the customer, because now this becomes a public issue which I'm sure the restaurant doesn't want.

And furthermore, when did it become an obligation for the customer to give a certain amount of money in tips? You give based upon the service you get. It's really rude to automatically price a certain amount for tips in your bill.

by Anonymousreply 60October 5, 2024 9:47 PM

Then, r58, I question the brains of the baker, that he didn't challenge the server(s) in saying, "You call these slices?! Bring out that cake again!"

The cake was neither "mistakenly thrown away" nor "lost."

by Anonymousreply 61October 5, 2024 9:47 PM

If he confirmed with the restaurant that he could bring a birthday cake to be served, then the restaurant is at fault and owes him compensation for eating that cake.

Custom cakes cost upwards of $200 or more.

If he didn't confirm with them, then the restaurant needed to return the cake - UNEATEN - to him and tell him it was against their policy to serve outside food.

There is no version of this situation in which staff eating the cake, then serving the leftovers is acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 62October 5, 2024 9:47 PM

How many vicious face slappings ensued?

by Anonymousreply 63October 5, 2024 9:53 PM

Have the birthday cake at home. After dinner.

Seems like this drama was easily avoidable.

by Anonymousreply 64October 5, 2024 9:53 PM

Man, the psycho commies on here applauding the wait staff's atrocious behavior just because they're the help. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 65October 5, 2024 9:54 PM

That he put it on social media tells you all you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 66October 5, 2024 9:55 PM

YUMMY YUMMY!

by Anonymousreply 67October 5, 2024 9:55 PM

r64 It's NYC, seems bold to assume any of them has a living room large enough to comfortably accommodate 12 people.

It's remarkable how many DLers are desperate to try and blame the guy instead of the restaurant staff.

by Anonymousreply 68October 5, 2024 9:57 PM

He assumes they ate it, but they probably threw it in the trash. That cake looks fucking disgusting 🤮

by Anonymousreply 69October 5, 2024 9:58 PM

The Haitians are eating the cakes. I saw it on TV.

by Anonymousreply 70October 5, 2024 9:59 PM

I have never heard of anyone bringing their own cake to a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 71October 5, 2024 10:00 PM

Some of you guys sound like yahoos, I'm sorry. Yes, people just do bring in special stuff to a restaurant. Is it encouraged? No. A restaurant wants to sell their own stuff. They weren't bringing in steaks ... to a steak house.

As stated above, the restaurant will charge plate or corkage fees.

The whole reason for going to a restaurant is so that you don't have to entertain at home. Lots of people live in small apartments and "going home afterwards for cake" is not in the cards.

by Anonymousreply 72October 5, 2024 10:09 PM

[quote]I have never heard of anyone bringing their own cake to a restaurant.

Seriously ?

I had my 50th Birthday party a few years ago at an expensive Italian restaurant (it was my favorite at the time). I had 11 guests, so it was a party of 12. When I sat down with the 'special events' manager eight weeks prior to plan the party, he suggested I bring in my own birthday cake, since they don't make their desserts on-site. (And if I did leave it up to them, he admitted it would be double the price the bakery would charge him at retail). By me bringing in my own cake, they would only charge a $1 plate fee per person.

So I did buy a birthday cake from my favorite bakery, and brought it in. The restaurant did slice it in the back, and brought the remainder of the cake back to the table - already sliced for anyone who wanted a second slice. It worked out perfectly. What was left, they boxed individually and gave to whomever wanted to take it home.

by Anonymousreply 73October 5, 2024 10:15 PM

I've made large complicated high end cakes from scratch about 4 times, and just the ingredients alone cost a minimum of $200-$250. Plus the time and work that goes into it is worth more that.

by Anonymousreply 74October 5, 2024 10:23 PM

The same exact thing happened at Jesus' Last Supper. Thaddeus was PISSED.

by Anonymousreply 75October 5, 2024 10:35 PM

The staff didn’t eat the cake. They have it on video. Whoever said it was all gone was mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 76October 5, 2024 10:53 PM

Great. Another thread that has me craving cake.

by Anonymousreply 77October 5, 2024 10:53 PM

Me too, R77. It looked good.

by Anonymousreply 78October 5, 2024 11:11 PM

That poor DLer really wanted that half of the cake for himself! Fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 79October 5, 2024 11:16 PM

r76 They claim to have it on video, somehow I doubt they actually do.

by Anonymousreply 80October 5, 2024 11:25 PM

If they have it 'on video' then they know exactly what happened to it - it was either eaten or thrown away (or maybe fell on the floor?). It certainly wasn't "lost" in the kitchen - not on video.

by Anonymousreply 81October 5, 2024 11:49 PM

R60 is the tipper ever server despises. You make no sense—not how tipping works.

by Anonymousreply 82October 5, 2024 11:50 PM

I'm torn - clearly they did eat the cake because the slices were so small. But - who brings a homemade cake to a NYC steakhouse?

I can't imagine lugging a cake around NYC - even with a taxi/Uber.

It's just a cake - and they ate some, which is horrible. But I would be embarrassed if any of my friends brought a homemade cake to a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 83October 5, 2024 11:53 PM

You'd be embarrassed? Why? And why are you fixated on it being a homemade cake? If they bought it at a bakery it would've been fine? As for not imagining someone carrying a cake...what?

by Anonymousreply 84October 6, 2024 12:00 AM

R83 I take it you've never been to dinner with someone with 'food sensitivities', the anti-gluten brigade tends to be the most strident, but it was hardly a Betty Crocker sheet cake.

The Baker is totally extra, to a somewhat annoying degree, but that doesn't change the fact that he checked with the place beforehand, they agreed to present, then cut/serve. To eat half (those slices were beyond thin, not even a clean edge to the cut slice!), was a dick move by the place.

I'd argue that they may have dropped it, or splashed dishwater onto it, which would justify its remains going missing, but that doesn't seem to be the case as the restaurant staff copped to eating it.

by Anonymousreply 85October 6, 2024 12:03 AM

[quote] I've made large complicated high end cakes from scratch about 4 times, and just the ingredients alone cost a minimum of $200-$250. Plus the time and work that goes into it is worth more that.

I don’t see how that is possible.

by Anonymousreply 86October 6, 2024 12:06 AM

NOM NOM!!

by Anonymousreply 87October 6, 2024 12:07 AM

Bringing a cake to a restaurant must be a New York thing. I can't see this being appropriate anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 88October 6, 2024 12:10 AM

Former restaurant / bar worker here. When a customer brings in their own special wine, etc., it made me think twice. Not that I begrudge someone bringing something in that the restaurant doesn't sell. But it's still a lot of work for the server. You've got to bring out the wine bucket / ice & stemmed glasses. Open up the bottle at the table, do the whole tasting thing. It's the same amount of work as if they had bought the bottle in-house. You can only hope that the tip will reflect that the server has done the same amount of work.

Also, the type of person who would bring in their own bottle is probably someone who thinks they're a wine connoisseur. (High opinion of self, etc.)

That said, serving the equivalent ($-wise) of food (vs. the wine) is a lot more work. E.g., $150 worth of wine is easier to serve than $150 worth of food.

by Anonymousreply 89October 6, 2024 12:11 AM

[quote] I have never heard of anyone bringing their own cake to a restaurant.

Chinese restaurants allow birthday cakes.

Most of them don't serve desserts, so they're usually fine with bringing in a cake.

by Anonymousreply 90October 6, 2024 12:11 AM

[quote] But I would be embarrassed if any of my friends brought a homemade cake to a restaurant.

I wouldn't be embarrassed. Unless it was a Duncan Hines sheet cake (which I like, but I wouldn't bring it to a restaurant). Some people really are good bakers. I wish I had some friends who were good bakers.

by Anonymousreply 91October 6, 2024 12:12 AM

R89 couldn’t pass the first interview round at a restaurant with a corkage fee.

by Anonymousreply 92October 6, 2024 12:34 AM

R82 Tipping based on quality of service is /exactly/ how tipping works.

by Anonymousreply 93October 6, 2024 12:47 AM

Why anyone make a “Funfetti” cake and then go thru the trouble of layering it so thin and topping with French buttercream and meringue escapes me. Also the restaurant should never allow outside to be served. Know what’s in meringue and French buttercream? Raw eggs.

by Anonymousreply 94October 6, 2024 12:52 AM

R94, umm, how professional are you? Meringue could have been made with Egg whites or Meringue powder. Typically you make a French Buttercream with pasteurized eggs.

by Anonymousreply 95October 6, 2024 1:05 AM

[quote]But I would be embarrassed if any of my friends brought a homemade cake to a restaurant.

I would be very appreciative, since he went to a great deal of trouble to bake the gift.

by Anonymousreply 96October 6, 2024 1:31 AM

R93.

My reply was to the following: And furthermore, when did it become an obligation for the customer to give a certain amount of money in tips? You give based upon the service you get. It's really rude to automatically price a certain amount for tips in your bill.

1. Always—a minimum tip m, now 20% is expected…if you’re not giving the at you better be speaking to a manager with a good explanation for what went wrong.

2. See 1.

3. No—there is, practically speaking, a mandatory minimum, unless you’re just cunting servers on a regular basis. In which case, die now.

by Anonymousreply 97October 6, 2024 1:32 AM

If I owned a restaurant, I would charge a LOT to discourage this sort of cake from outside behavior from regular diners. The wait staff will hate this and it seems like a needless insurance liability. If the party is some kind of rental, it might make sense. I would have a list of cake they could buy from the restaurant, me, even if some of them are from local bakeries. Then the cake is on the bill and the server is getting tipped for all the value that the server is serving.

by Anonymousreply 98October 6, 2024 1:39 AM

[quote] 1. Always—a minimum tip m, now 20% is expected…if you’re not giving the at you better be speaking to a manager with a good explanation for what went wrong.

If you don’t think you make enough money then get a different job. I’m sorry your employer rips you off?

by Anonymousreply 99October 6, 2024 1:41 AM

This should be a storyline on next season's "And Just Like That" when Charlotte bakes an elaborate birthday cake for Carrie, and the waiter at Daniel loses half the cake.

by Anonymousreply 100October 6, 2024 1:49 AM

Team restaurant

by Anonymousreply 101October 6, 2024 1:58 AM

When do the tears STOP???

by Anonymousreply 102October 6, 2024 2:01 AM

Someone left his cake out in the rain....

by Anonymousreply 103October 6, 2024 2:02 AM

[Quote] paycheque

Ok Mary Poppins

by Anonymousreply 104October 6, 2024 2:04 AM

[quote]Bringing a cake to a restaurant must be a New York thing. I can't see this being appropriate anywhere else.

I did it in Rhode Island for a few special occasions over the past 10 years or so. I know others who have done this for special occasions, as well in RI and MA.

by Anonymousreply 105October 6, 2024 2:12 AM

They probably couldn't help themselves! It looks scrumptious! Still a shitty thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 106October 6, 2024 2:14 AM

I wonder what Bitchy Waiter (on Facebook) would say about this ? He always sides with the staff on everything.

by Anonymousreply 107October 6, 2024 2:23 AM

[quote] gave to whomever wanted to take it home

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 108October 6, 2024 2:32 AM

Did anyone else's screen burst into flames watching that cake baker's video?

Also, I thought bringing in outside (homemade) food for guests in a restaurant was a health code violation.

by Anonymousreply 109October 6, 2024 2:41 AM

R99 huh? You still don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 110October 6, 2024 2:46 AM

[quote]The Baker is totally extra, to a somewhat annoying degree, but that doesn't change the fact that he checked with the place beforehand, they agreed to present, then cut/serve. To eat half (those slices were beyond thin, not even a clean edge to the cut slice!), was a dick move by the place.

I agree. Although I'd specify that the only thing extra about him, from what I can see, is the fact that he was way too nice about all of this.

I hate the fact that he came back and said the restaurant contacted him and said after reviewing the security footage they just forgot to give him the rest of his cake and he's just going with it. (Which is obviously BS because the cake slices were so thin.) People figured out where he went and have been going in on their social about it. He's also asking for that to stop because there are people there who are just trying to make a living and they even offered him a free dinner for two.

I think baking cakes regularly for his friends is his way of showing how much he cares about them. More than buying a gift he's putting his time into something he thinks they will like. It doesn't seem self-serving since he does it all the time. He even talked about a cake he baked in his Good Morning America segment appearance at 1:25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 6, 2024 3:14 AM

[quote]Why anyone make a “Funfetti” cake and then go thru the trouble of layering it so thin and topping with French buttercream and meringue escapes me.

I don't think he meant "Funfetti" as in a boxed cake mix. I assume he made the cake from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 112October 6, 2024 3:31 AM

Oh my God, that's even MORE sad! He made a Funfetti cake from scratch??

by Anonymousreply 113October 6, 2024 3:45 AM

[quote] You still don’t get it.

I do get it.

The price of the food covers the ingredients and the labour. If you do a good job as a server then maybe I might tip you. It’s a bonus. It’s not to be expected. If you want to be paid more than you are worth as a waiter then you have to earn it. What you are worth is already covered by the food. If you rely on tips then you are spending beyond your means.

by Anonymousreply 114October 6, 2024 3:59 AM

Not sure why I was "oh dear" in R108. Who can explain ?

by Anonymousreply 115October 6, 2024 4:03 AM

r115, it should be "whoever," not "whomever," since as a pronoun it is the subject of the verb phrase "wanted to take it home."

by Anonymousreply 116October 6, 2024 4:06 AM

[quote] If you do a good job as a server then maybe I might tip you. It’s a bonus. It’s not to be expected.

That’s not how it works. You don’t get to pretend the rules are different just because you don’t like them.

by Anonymousreply 117October 6, 2024 4:59 AM

Exactly! ^

There’s a loon about who thinks he can decline to tip as he sees fit, at at full service restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 118October 6, 2024 5:06 AM

R114 is not from the US ("labour") and doesn't understand.

[quote] If you want to be paid more than you are worth as a waiter then you have to earn it. What you are worth is already covered by the food. If you rely on tips then you are spending beyond your means.

For some reason, mean-spirited, too.

by Anonymousreply 119October 6, 2024 5:34 AM

We were going to eat it except the busboy tasted it first and said the icing was dollar-store Crisco with a little powdered stevia mixed in, and then everyone lost their appetite.

by Anonymousreply 120October 6, 2024 5:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!