Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

George C. Scott

Gruff but compassionate are the only words I can think of to describe veteran American actor George C. Scott.

From the beginning he appeared in classic films such as Anatomy of a Murder, The Hustler, and Dr. Strangelove, but he catapulted to international stardom when he starred as the titular character in Franklin J. Schaffner's Patton, where he won the Oscar but told the Academy to " kindly lose my number." After Patton, he continued to appear in both critical and cult classics; The Hospital, Hardcore, The Changeling, Firestarter, A Christmas Carol, The Ryan White Story,12 Angry Men, and The Exorcist III.

When not working, he campaigned and advised his close friend and neighbor, Lowell Weicker.

What is the legacy of George C. Scott?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2024 1:43 AM

He WAS George C. Scott!

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2024 5:17 PM

He used to beat up Ava Gardner when they dated. Sinatra allegedly had him roughed up when he found out.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2024 5:18 PM

Both George C. Scott and Eric Porter played Fagin from Oliver Twist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2024 5:19 PM

Can you picture him masturbating, OP? I mean, really jerking it while pulling down on his nutsack? What do you think he had in his Spank Bank?

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2024 5:20 PM

He was a heavy drinker, too

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2024 5:24 PM

Heavy drinker? He was a hardcore alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2024 5:25 PM

By the time he appeared on stage for the last time, he had to wear makeup on his hands and forearms because his skin had turned yellow.

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2024 5:28 PM

He was awesome in The Hospital.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2024 5:32 PM

Interesting and sad article on his life

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2024 5:40 PM

Patton is one of my favorite movies but the actor was a mean drunk. I’m guessing that if you could’ve talked to the women he beat up they’d say “compassionate” is a bit of a ridiculous stretch.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2024 6:06 PM

"You (Nathan Lane) worked with that one famous drunk actor with an initial. What was he like?"

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2024 6:09 PM

R11 Are you sure it was Scott?

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2024 6:42 PM

He was perfect as Maj. Buck Turgidson. Have to wonder if his physical endowment inspired the name.

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2024 7:55 PM

General.

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2024 7:56 PM

^General, not Major...

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2024 7:56 PM

Was he hot?

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2024 8:14 PM

He fisted Paul Newman

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2024 8:21 PM

I was laying in my bunk in Vietnam in 1965 when a buddy rushed in and said to get my ass to the Enlisted Men's club right away. As I walked in I spotted George C holding court with a bunch of G.I.'s sitting around him. He was buying all the drinks and was so easy going and personable with all of us. When I finally got a word in, I asked him about one of my favorite actresses at that time, Colleen Dewhurst. I wasn't sure of their marital status then, but he hesitated and gave me this "look" and I thought that I had really fucked up, but then he smiled bigly and let me know that she was one of his favorite actresses too. Only later did I read that they had divorced and that it was actually his second divorce from her as they had married a second time but it was not to be. One very handsome result of that marriage was actor Campbell Scott.

by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2024 8:31 PM

What did G.I. possess?

by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2024 8:33 PM

Does anyone know whaat campbell's relationship with George, his father, was?

Campbell is a beautiful product of the relationship between Colleen and George.

I met Campbell once, briefly. Gorgeous in real life...

by Anonymousreply 20October 5, 2024 8:35 PM

R2, he beat up Ava while filming "The Bible," so director John Huston hired bodyguards to keep him away from her, but she coudn't stay away from him. When shooting was done, she ended their romance and fled to London, but Scott tracked her down and beat her up at the Savoy. Then she fled to Rome, and he again tracked her down and beat her up in her hotel. She then holed up at the Beverly Hills Hotel, and he beat her up there.

Desperate for help, she rang up Sinatra, whom she had previously dissuaded from harming Scott, but this time she gave her blessing to have him roughed up.

by Anonymousreply 21October 5, 2024 8:50 PM

R19 Don't troll a Nam Vet.

by Anonymousreply 22October 5, 2024 9:02 PM

He’s too gruff and shouty for my taste. Not to mention his penchant for intimate partner violence.

by Anonymousreply 23October 5, 2024 9:23 PM

Remember The Savage is Loose, one of his directorial efforts. He plays the father, Trish plays the mother. They are shipwrecked on an island with their young son. The son grows into a horny young man who has eyes for his mother and cites Cain and Abel. At the climax, John David Carson nearly kills Scott and in order to save his life, mom gives son a very unmotherly kiss. The movie was really controversial at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 5, 2024 9:33 PM

I wonder what ever happened with that lawsuit filed against George Dressel Scott and his mother, Trish Van Devere, alleging that Dressel Scott imprisoned and repeatedly physically and sexually assaulted a 14 year-old girl at the Scott Malibu home, and that Miss Van Devere was well aware of it but did nothing.

by Anonymousreply 25October 5, 2024 9:34 PM

The Exorcist III is a great film

by Anonymousreply 26October 5, 2024 9:39 PM

[quote]I asked him about one of my favorite actresses at that time, Colleen Dewhurst.

What had you seen her in, r18?

by Anonymousreply 27October 5, 2024 9:43 PM

He had a great ass when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 28October 5, 2024 9:47 PM

He was married to the lovely Trish Van Devere until his death, and she straightened him out. Both Gardner and Scott were big drinkers in their time. The clip is from an interview they did for The Savage is Loose (1974)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 5, 2024 9:48 PM

My folks loved him starting with the tv show East Side/West Side, so we grew up loving him too. They Might Be Giants with Joanne Woodward was great fun.

by Anonymousreply 30October 5, 2024 9:52 PM

Peter Medak's The Changeling (1980) starring Sott and Van Devere is one of the best haunted house films ever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 5, 2024 9:54 PM

Scott received his first Oscar nomination for Otto Preminger's Anatomy of the Murder (1959) which is one of the finest courtroom dramas ever and probably Preminger's best film the entire cast is exemplary including Kathryn Grant aka Mrs. Bing Crosby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 5, 2024 10:10 PM

I liked him in Jane Eyre.

by Anonymousreply 33October 5, 2024 10:26 PM

I've seen his son Campbell Scott around Manhattan a few times in the 1990s. A truly lovely man. Photos just do not do him justice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 5, 2024 10:36 PM

R32 Agreed. And what a cast it was:

Jimmy Stewart, Lee Remick, George C. Scott, Ben Gazzara, Eve Arden, Murray Hamilton, Arthur O'Connell, Kathryn Grant, Orson Bean, Joseph N. Welch, and Duke Ellington

by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2024 11:26 PM

How lovely, much younger Trish Van Devere could marry that old bent face alcoholic always made be BARF.

by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2024 11:32 PM

Big dick nose.

by Anonymousreply 37October 6, 2024 12:29 AM

Even as a very young gayling, I knew he had big dick energy on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 38October 6, 2024 12:30 AM

[quote] He fisted Paul Newman

Then he fisted Joanne Woodward.

Then he fisted all of their children!

by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2024 1:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!