Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do people from shitholes feel such an exaggerated sense of pride for their place of origin?

I noticed this with a lot of people. When I encounter people from wealthy first world countries like Norway or Switzerland they don’t make a big deal about their country or ethnic identity. But have you ever met an immigrant from the Philippines or El Salvador? They incessantly go on about how their country and culture and food and people are the best. Filipino pride! Everything about the Philippines is better! You never hear someone from Norway talking like this.

Same with states. People from California are pretty relaxed and don’t make a big deal about it. People from New Jersey, which you can smell from the turnpike, with loudly and angrily tell you about how wonderful New Jersey is.

by Anonymousreply 72October 6, 2024 6:21 AM

Wow. Just wow...

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2024 3:59 AM

It's the GARDEN STATE!

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2024 3:59 AM

You're asking why poor people are more nationalistic than rich people? It's because that's all they have, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2024 4:02 AM

Switzerland is a passive aggressive libertarian shithole of Western Europe.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2024 4:03 AM

When I was high school. So I’m a black kid from DC but I went to high school in the Lower East Side. And all the West Indians used to swear their home countries, granted they were born in America, used to swear how great in various aspects their home counties were compared to America. I used to argue with them: well then why fuck did your parents migrate here then lol. I don’t know if OP is trolling but it is kind of a thing. And I love my West Indians. Caribbean America stand up. Its funny because my boriquas and Dominicans, also in the Caribbean never used to swear their home countries were so much better than America.

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2024 4:05 AM

It depends on the person. I worked with a Filipino immigrant years ago who referred to The Philippines as a "shithole".

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2024 4:13 AM

Op why disrespect their countries though by calling them shitholes?

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2024 4:18 AM

[quote]Why do people from shitholes feel such an exaggerated sense of pride for their place of origin?

It would be nice if some New Yorkers could reply with why they have that exaggerated sense of pride.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2024 5:28 AM

R6, he is right. And Filipino food is also shitty.

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2024 5:35 AM

I haven't been, but I love Filipinos. They're so damn nice

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2024 6:29 AM

They’re awful. I guess you haven’t worked with a gang of them.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2024 7:03 AM

The USA is a shithole these days that only it’s citizens love.

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2024 7:36 AM

There are 115 million people in the Philippines and God knows how immigrants living elsewhere, r11. You sound genuinely stupid. Baboy!

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2024 7:36 AM

Futbol

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2024 7:38 AM

I live in an area with a large Puerto Rican population. They are insufferable about how great P.R. (of course, they've left it, to live here). Puerto Rican parade, they're the loudest during Hispanic Heritage Month, Puerto Rican flags hanging from the rearview mirrors or on bumper stickers. Murals/graffiti on the sides of buildings... man it goes on and on and on.

P.R. is a poorly governed dump...

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2024 9:43 AM

THEY'RE EATING THE DOGS!

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2024 9:47 AM

I bet OP thinks Switzerland and Norway are next to each other on the map.

How many people from Norway do you meet OP?

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2024 9:53 AM

If PR were so great, they wouldn't have left. They deserve paper towels thrown at them.

DjT

by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2024 9:54 AM

[cough]America[/cough]

by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2024 10:19 AM

R15 = Ben Affleck

by Anonymousreply 20October 5, 2024 10:48 AM

Why do Americans cling to the belief that it's the land of opportunity?

Economic mobility functions better in many other countries. USA isn't in the top 20.

by Anonymousreply 21October 5, 2024 11:04 AM

R21 Who said that it is? I’m planning my exit strategy.

by Anonymousreply 22October 5, 2024 11:07 AM

Making up trump like nonsense just to have a thread to post.

DL the land of total bullshit and EST

by Anonymousreply 23October 5, 2024 11:14 AM

R17 I met two Norwegians in the MBA program. One was a professor and the other was student. Both were very nonchalant about their home country.

And I myself have some Swiss ancestry. Met some distant relatives and they also had the same attitude about Switzerland.

Had the misfortune of dating a Filipino. Complete opposite attitude. The Philippines is the greatest place on earth once you don’t live there anymore apparently. They use America for a higher salary and then take their retirement back to their shithole so they can have a maid and a driver and eat deep fried pig testicles all day.

by Anonymousreply 24October 5, 2024 11:15 AM

Oklahoma people are the most baffling becaiuse it is a living museum of human evil.

by Anonymousreply 25October 5, 2024 11:32 AM

And in South America, shit poor Argentineans take the cake for their unwarranted national pride.

by Anonymousreply 26October 5, 2024 11:36 AM

It's how the dictators keep the masses inline.

by Anonymousreply 27October 5, 2024 11:47 AM

I was born in Texas and raised in Mississippi. I don't have a sense of pride in either of those states, nor do I have a desire to visit either one (now that my MS grandmother is dead).

by Anonymousreply 28October 5, 2024 12:03 PM

Is there a bigger shithole than California though, OP? It has bigger GDP than most European states, but it has more homeless than some any third world country.

by Anonymousreply 29October 5, 2024 12:08 PM

THEY'RE EATING THE KATZ!

by Anonymousreply 30October 5, 2024 12:19 PM

Biggest shithole I’ve ever seen is the one between OP’s fat MAGA ass cheeks

by Anonymousreply 31October 5, 2024 12:22 PM

In my experience, the state with the residents who have the absolutely greatest amount of misplaced pride is Connecticut. They truly believe that CT is the center of the known universe, and if you want something that's not in your town of four houses and a stop sign, you shouldn't want it in the first place.

I could write a book about CT and the weirdness of the culture. When I went there for grad school, it was like being slapped across the face with a wet towel -- no, no -- a [italic]frozen[/italic] towel for three straight years, the people were so cold and insular.

Fifty bucks some Nutmegger will be here momentarily to make some snotty and effete remark about how CT is the best place in the world, and how if I didn't see how wonderful it is, it's my own fault.

by Anonymousreply 32October 5, 2024 12:26 PM

Another “question” thread filled with racism.

Gee, who could it be 🤔?

by Anonymousreply 33October 5, 2024 12:31 PM

THEY’RE EATING THE PETZ!

by Anonymousreply 34October 5, 2024 12:39 PM

Here in Florida, transplanted New Yorkers are insufferable about how magnificent NYC is and how it's the greatest place in the world, better than Florida. When asked why they moved here, they respond with a combination of weather, cost of living, and crime. But, it's still the greatest place on earth. Don't bother to ask them; they will tell you every chance they get.

by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2024 12:40 PM

Californians are among the most annoying.

by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2024 12:44 PM

OP = MAGA.

Who also is so uneducated she doesn't know about the anti-Swede and anti-Norwegian sentiments during early 20th century immigration to the US.

by Anonymousreply 37October 5, 2024 1:06 PM

Desperation. Let them have it - what else have they got?

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2024 1:10 PM

r32 I was seriously going to say Connecticut, and I can tell you why - I was born and raised there. My mother is still there. People really do behave in the way you've described. I hated growing up there, because it was a weird Children of the Corn state. Yes, much of it is physically beautiful. I love much of the weather (but I hate snow and cold). I got out as soon as I could. I do love visiting during Spring and Fall. That's it.

All my family that's still there, really constantly say things like "I can't believe you left CT, so weird. Don't you miss it? Oh my god, I would miss it." etc.

by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2024 1:13 PM

It's all matter of perspective

Where I live, it's Americans who have the exaggerated sense of pride of place of origin.

Americans are not hated or disliked here, rather they seem a bit disappointed not to be received as very special visitors. This country receives twice it's population in tourists every year, so it's just that foreign visitors are not an extraordinary experience.

Visitors from some countries are perhaps quicker to identify their place of origin than those from others, bit it's usually a lesser point in the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 40October 5, 2024 1:15 PM

Plymouth Rock Pilgrims.

They're eating the cats. They're eating the dogs.

If they were so great they wouldn't have been chased out of whatever backwoods, shithole shire they came from to squat their useless asses here.

- Native Americans, Fighting Illegal Migrants Since 1492

by Anonymousreply 41October 5, 2024 1:24 PM

R10, except when you have to work with a bunch of female ones.

by Anonymousreply 42October 5, 2024 1:32 PM

R35, they are insufferable when they come back for a visit, too...."It's too cold, too crowded, too filthy, no fucking parking...how the fuck can you still live here?"

by Anonymousreply 43October 5, 2024 1:35 PM

A lot of Filipino gay men are great in bed but they may just be white man crazy. I liked to think it was me.

by Anonymousreply 44October 5, 2024 1:35 PM

r44 "I liked to think it was me. "

It wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 45October 5, 2024 1:38 PM

R44 They do have very clean buttholes. Great for eating.

by Anonymousreply 46October 5, 2024 1:44 PM

R40 what a crock of shit. I have been reading travel blogs and forums for decades not one American, Canadian, NL, Brit, or anyone else has ever once complained that they were not treated as a special visitor. Or that they should have been treated as a special visitor based on their home country.

Here at DL you seem to see it regularly if not daily

I have never seen so much making up shit, lying, and nonsense as I have seen on DL. It’s an epidemic of est and bullshit as I have seen.

by Anonymousreply 47October 5, 2024 1:44 PM

[quote]They use America for a higher salary and then take their retirement back to their shithole so they can have a maid and a driver and eat deep fried pig testicles all day.

So in other words, they pay into the system for years and then take nothing back in terms of Medicare and Social Security in their elder years.

What monsters.

by Anonymousreply 48October 5, 2024 1:54 PM

Over Nationalism has scared me every since the Vietnam War, when pro-war people didn't want any criticism of the US involvement in that war. It was a constant "Love It or Leave It." You can love your country and not wanting it to be involved in stupid wars.

There is an employee at a local store I shop at that has a van with a Mexican flag painted on the hood of the van and flying two Mexican Flags on the van. I can't imagine moving to another country and doing that in another country. If you love that country so much, you should live there.

by Anonymousreply 49October 5, 2024 1:56 PM

What makes R48 think they can't collect SS? If they become US citizens, they can, and they can take it back to their home country.

by Anonymousreply 50October 5, 2024 1:57 PM

Non-U.S. citizens may be subject to different rules depending on their citizenship, where they live, and the type of benefits they claim. These rules are often based on "totalization agreements" between the U.S. and other countries. These agreements aim to eliminate dual Social Security coverage and taxation while maintaining coverage for as many workers as possible.

by Anonymousreply 51October 5, 2024 2:01 PM

Op we all have our likes and dislikes. One man's shack is another man's palace. Don't ever look down on anyone because they prefer something you don't. Just be happy with what you have (if it's what you want) and don't worry about what kind of life others enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 52October 5, 2024 2:03 PM

"I have been reading travel blogs and forums for decades not one American, Canadian, NL, Brit, or anyone else has ever once complained that they were not treated as a special visitor"

r47 You sound like an idiot, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 53October 5, 2024 2:32 PM

[quote] There is an employee at a local store I shop at that has a van with a Mexican flag painted on the hood of the van and flying two Mexican Flags on the van. I can't imagine moving to another country and doing that in another country. If you love that country so much, you should live there.

This is such a weird, paranoid attitude.

by Anonymousreply 54October 5, 2024 2:57 PM

What high school did you go to?

by Anonymousreply 55October 5, 2024 2:58 PM

Ramblin' boy why don't you settle down? Boston's not your kind of town. There ain'int no gold and there aint nobody like me.

by Anonymousreply 56October 5, 2024 3:18 PM

Believe it or not OP it’s because they are happier. No worries about that asshole at work that will snitch on them about the smallest things, no worries about that insurance or utility bill, no worries about over eating. No worries about that upcoming deadline or that wedding you don’t want to go to.

Overall they are prideful because they are happy despite being dealt a terrible hand, I admire that and wish I was more like them and not stuck in a first world country that will shoot each other because they saw someone else do something they don’t like.

by Anonymousreply 57October 5, 2024 3:23 PM

Russians.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 58October 5, 2024 3:28 PM

DFW is the poster child for this, they think they are the center of the world, it's nothing but 50 miles or more of strip centers and parking lots, then people want to water their grass in a semi arid area, and try to steal water from other states, they don't get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 59October 5, 2024 3:37 PM

That's exactly wrong R57 Oh if they belong to a cult like LDS they will tell you they are hapy when they aren't, but in general their worlds are so narrow and limited that they are continually obsessed with minutiae of their small circle and know nothing about what exists elsewhere. And they are in fact quite miserable, but they won't admit it for fear of being abandoned.

by Anonymousreply 60October 5, 2024 3:38 PM

Yes bc being from another country is the same as belonging to a cult.

by Anonymousreply 61October 5, 2024 4:01 PM

Mafuckin!’

I wuz razed rite

by Anonymousreply 62October 5, 2024 4:05 PM

[quote]They use America for a higher salary and then take their retirement back to their shithole so they can have a maid and a driver and eat deep fried pig testicles all day.

Admit it - you were the cunt who started the whole " They're eating the dogs...." crap. Scum MAGAt.

by Anonymousreply 63October 5, 2024 4:15 PM

I can smell your nappy pussy all over this thread, Teacake.

by Anonymousreply 64October 5, 2024 4:24 PM

Canadians should top this list. Smug and self-righteous.

by Anonymousreply 65October 5, 2024 11:40 PM

“These people invade our country and take away jobs from meth addicts that couldn’t keep them anyway. They spend money and that’s horrible, these places should just rot. They’re eating the DAWGS… I have no proof but I just want to scare you for votes.”

by Anonymousreply 66October 6, 2024 12:12 AM

See the problem with being stupid is you never know why anything happens so everything that happens comes as a surprise. That leaves these morons with excessively high cortisol. They may move like overweight cows who have been chewing cud all day for their four stomachs, but that doesn't mean they aren't high strung.

by Anonymousreply 67October 6, 2024 4:12 AM

On Edge. Unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 68October 6, 2024 4:13 AM

[quote] Same with states. People from California are pretty relaxed and don’t make a big deal about it.

Three guesses where OP is from.

by Anonymousreply 69October 6, 2024 4:14 AM

you can be proud of where you come from and acknowledge it’s impoverished and hard to live a good life. And why pick on Filipinos? They’re great people and most come here for skilled jobs.

by Anonymousreply 70October 6, 2024 4:19 AM

[quote]Torontoians should top this list. Smug and self-righteous.

FIFY r65 (unless you were being sarcastic then I take it back).

by Anonymousreply 71October 6, 2024 4:51 AM

Why aren't Canadian houses larger? They have so much space up there.

by Anonymousreply 72October 6, 2024 6:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!