Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Your Favorite Fantasia (1940) Segment?

What is/was your favorite segment from the 1940 Disney film Fantasia? Why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 5, 2024 2:39 PM

Dance of the Hours

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2024 3:28 AM

I chose The Nutcracker but I love the Pastoral and Ave Maria segments too. Hate Sorcerer’s Apprentice and Dance of the Hours. Rite of Spring is kind of sad.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2024 3:32 AM

It IS Your Favorite Fantasia Segment!

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2024 3:33 AM

I have to put in what I expect will be the only vote for the Bach episode.

It is evidently the first major work of abstract animation by an American studio.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2024 3:33 AM

Vernon Kilns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2024 3:34 AM

Pines of Rome by Respighi

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2024 3:37 AM

When she sang "Summertime."

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2024 3:39 AM

My favorite Fantasia is the soul singer who takes her mafuckin shoes off when shows off. That’s my favorite Fantasia.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2024 3:40 AM

Eric Porter (not the renowned actor) was known as "Australia’s Walt Disney”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2024 3:42 AM

As such.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2024 3:43 AM

None of them move me nearly as much as the "Pomp and Circumstance" with Donald and Daisy Duck in "Fantasia 2000." That little thing is one of the sweetest things ever.

But "Dance of the Hours" is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2024 4:23 AM

I think there's a lot to love in Melody Time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2024 4:32 AM

R8 incidentally, "The Fantasia Barrino Story: Life Is Not a Fairytale" is currently free to watch on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2024 4:37 AM

I know I’m going to catch shade for this, but I sat down about a year ago to watch this, ready to be enthralled, and found it boring.

I honestly wanted to love it. It just feels supremely dated, in a way, say, The Wizard of Oz doesn’t.

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2024 4:47 AM

It's solely meant to be viewed on a big screen really, really stoned.

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2024 4:54 AM

R14 if it's any consolation, FANTASIA flopped when it was originally released in 1940.

Thus, it is now a "cult classic," a film that bombs on initial release but is later rediscovered and appreciated years later.

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2024 4:59 AM

There's also the Italian satire Allegro Non Troppo:

"An enthusiastic filmmaker thinks he's come up with a totally original idea: animation set to classical music! When he is informed that some American named "Prisney" (or something) has already done it, he decides to do his own version, using an orchestra comprising mostly old ladies and an animator he's kept locked in a dungeon..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2024 5:15 AM

the exit

by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2024 5:17 AM

Had this on VHS as a kid and I think I watched it once. All I recall are dancing brooms or mops and one scene? vignette? with some kind of large demon. Am I misremembering that?

by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2024 6:15 AM

I find I enjoy it better watching just the segments, not all together.

by Anonymousreply 20October 5, 2024 2:36 PM

I don't like any part of that pretentious and vulgar shit.

by Anonymousreply 21October 5, 2024 2:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!