Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FIne. Kill me. I'm worried....

I suffer from anxieties about everything and my partner says I look for things to worry about. But this is legit. The Electoral College. So let's say on Election night, Harris wins 272 electoral votes to win the Presidency.

But when the Electors get together on December 15th suppose some of them refuse to support that outcome. Are the electors bound by the vote totals in their states or can they do whatever they want and vote for Trump?.

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2024 12:37 AM

Try Effexor, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2024 12:01 AM

If it didn't happen in 2020, it ain't happening now.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2024 12:05 AM

OP, are you worried about fake electors like 2020 or faithless electors?

Assuming you are talking about faithless electors, I find it highly unlikely that a pledged Democratic elector would vote for Trump after a Harris win. Individual Faithless elector votes have (vary rarely) occurred and could theoretically tip an election, but have never actually done so. And my personal feeling is if it didn’t happen in 2016 with obviously unfit Trump it is never going to happen.

Also some states have enacted laws against faithless elector votes. However, whether those laws are constitutional is an open question.

Bottom line, find something else to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2024 12:16 AM

Get a fucking life.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2024 12:25 AM

I am concerned too, OP!!!

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2024 12:28 AM

R3, here's a possible scenario that concerns me. Let's look at Georgia. Suppose Georgia flips Blue and goes to Harris. The Governor of Georgia is Brian Kemp and Republican. He will appoint the electors. So the "faithless elector" scenario would be possible. He could appoint someone who'd vote for Trump. Lord knows there are diehard Trump people including the Attorney General and the Lt. Governor who'd do it.The Lt. Governor would have been indicted except for some deal he made for his role in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2024 12:35 AM

The governor doesn’t appoint the electors that is not how it works. The party appoints the electors.

Also Kemp hates Trump.

Worry about whether you type fat.

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2024 12:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!