Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Video shows courthouse shooting that took the life of Letcher County judge

WHITESBURG, Ky. (FOX 56) — Spectators cried out in a Morgan County courtroom as surveillance video played, depicting the shooting death of District Judge Kevin Mullins.

Former Letcher County Sheriff Shawn “Mickey” Stines appeared before a judge on Tuesday afternoon for a probable cause hearing. Stines was arrested without incident on Sept. 19 after he reportedly shot and killed the district judge in his chambers.

Lead investigator, Kentucky State Police Detective Clayton Stamper, was called to the witness stand. According to Stamper, surveillance video captured the exchange that led to Stines shooting Mullins multiple times.

On Tuesday, the Commonwealth played a roughly 10-second clip from the recording. The Kentucky Administrative Office of the Courts subsequently released the clip to FOX 56.

Kentucky sheriff reportedly shoots judge: A look at the timeline, investigation

The clip’s start is timestamped for 2:52 p.m. on Sept. 19. According to Stamper, before this, Stines had been seated and is seen standing to the side of Mullins’ desk with his hands in the air.

Stines raised his weapon, pointed it directly at the judge, and fired at least one shot at Mullins before he fell from his chair.

As Stines rounds the corner, Mullins moves underneath the desk with his hands covering his head. It appears that Stines fired another shot, but the desk obscures the view.

Video shows the desk sliding across the floor as Stines moves toward the door to open it before firing another shot at Mullins.

The entire exchange lasted a matter of seconds.

Stamper testified that it’s standard for judge’s chambers to be equipped with security cameras. However, no sound was captured.

During the exchange, Stamper said that there were people in the next room over. They weren’t able to hear what led to shots being fired, but they could hear gunshots and Mullins pleading for help.

The video released is only a piece of a larger picture, according to testimony on Tuesday.

The entire video reportedly shows Stines making a phone call and then using Mullins’ phone to make a call. Stamper testified that the outgoing calls were made to Stines’ daughter and that shots rang out just moments after the calls were made.

He said that Stines’ daughter has been interviewed with a parent present, but her phone was not collected as evidence yet.

Both Mullins’ and Stines’ phones were sent for forensic examination, but investigators have yet to receive the results. A woman reportedly employed by the Letcher County Sheriff’s Office also gave her phone to investigators to be examined. Stamper testified that she was one of Stines’ employees and believed she’d received text messages from Stines that detailed what occurred at lunch and ultimately led to the shooting.

According to court documents, the defense established probable cause in Tuesday’s hearing, and the case is set to be heard by a grand jury.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 5, 2024 8:55 PM

Scary!

I find it so bizarre that these two were close friends, and were actually supposed to have lunch together, the day of the shooting.

Nobody seems to know what transpired between these two, but a cell phone was paced on the judge's desk, the judge looked at it, and then bang bang you're dead.

WTf??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2024 8:57 PM

Where’s the video?

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2024 9:00 PM

Here R3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2024 9:16 PM

I despise vertical blinds. I simply cannot abide by them. How do humans survive in the same room with vertical blinds?

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2024 9:23 PM

Is he smoking?

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2024 9:24 PM

That fat ass was going to hustle out of the building? Get the double-wide chair ready....

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2024 9:24 PM

Goddamn, R3.

The judge should have at least tried to run or fought back.

The Sheriff missed him the first time.

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2024 9:26 PM

He had it coming!

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2024 9:26 PM

I dont think he missed, it's not a TV drama, bullets take time to kill depending on where you shoot someone. That's why so many of those types of crimes are usually many shots because the victim does not die instantly. Just look at what happened with the Menedez brothers. They have to reload to finish off the mother.

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2024 9:32 PM

Scorned DL Lover?

by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2024 9:46 PM

Well, I’m guessing the quilt was also ruined.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2024 9:52 PM

Odd there were no blood splatters.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2024 9:57 PM

Those judge's chambers are a clear illustration of the state of our legal system. Cinderblock walls, laminate floors, vertical blinds...and that desk is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2024 10:00 PM

What an ugly office. That quilt is - why is there a quilt on the wall? No plants? And yes - it looks like a cigarette in his hand.

I didn't see a link for the video?

Why was he calling that man's daughter?

I'm so disoriented by the ugly in that office.

by Anonymousreply 14October 4, 2024 10:02 PM

Yeah, pretty basic-looking office. Looks like it was built in the '60s or so?

He was holding a cig in his right hand.

He's a judge and all he's got is that little laptop computer?

I'm guessing that judge was a scumbag and the sheriff guy found out something that hit close to home.

Moral of the story: a scumbag will eventually do something to harm you. Stay away.

by Anonymousreply 15October 4, 2024 10:05 PM

[quote]I find it so bizarre that these two were close friends, and were actually supposed to have lunch together, the day of the shooting.

[quote]In bombshell testimony a police officer is revealing there was a dispute between Judge Kevin Mullins and Kentucky sheriff Shawn Stines before the fatal shooting of the judge. The dispute allegedly involved the sheriff's teenage daughter. The police officer testified that Stines' daughter's phone number was on the judge's phone.

I think we know where this is going...

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2024 10:08 PM

This kind videos are awful, and making this available is worse. That said, i love the heartlessness bitchinesses of those commenting on the decor.

by Anonymousreply 17October 4, 2024 10:37 PM

Well it’s a weird ass office.

by Anonymousreply 18October 4, 2024 10:39 PM

Daddy please don’t, it wasn’t his fault, he means so much to me…

by Anonymousreply 19October 4, 2024 11:11 PM

R19. Run, Judgey, Run...

by Anonymousreply 20October 4, 2024 11:13 PM

Getting ever so closer to the motive, which is not discussed or mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 21October 4, 2024 11:19 PM

Do we really need photos and videos of this? If it bleeds it leads, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 22October 4, 2024 11:33 PM

Is this the one where the judge was having an affair with multiple women including the cop’s daughter?

by Anonymousreply 23October 4, 2024 11:49 PM

MAGA vs. Ultra MAGA violence

by Anonymousreply 24October 4, 2024 11:57 PM

[quote] The dispute allegedly involved the sheriff's teenage daughter. The police officer testified that Stines' daughter's phone number was on the judge's phone.

That judge is fugly. I find it hard to believe some teenager would be attracted at all to him.

by Anonymousreply 25October 5, 2024 12:22 AM

It's his daughter's quilt.

by Anonymousreply 26October 5, 2024 12:22 AM

I chortled looking at the photos of the judge. He couldn't look more like a pervert if he tried.

by Anonymousreply 27October 5, 2024 12:57 AM

R25 don't rule out rape of a teenage girl by a much older and powerful man in a state with strict abortion laws.

by Anonymousreply 28October 5, 2024 12:58 AM

A post in Reddit from 13 days ago, take it with a grain of salt: "He didn’t think he could get away with it. He surrendered. He didn’t think he was untouchable Kevin Mullins raped his daughter and was sleeping with his wife. That’s just the personal things that man has done. This is my home town, and you don’t understand how corrupt this judge was"

by Anonymousreply 29October 5, 2024 1:02 AM

Did anyone notice that the door swung open on its own, right after the sheriff was done shooting?

by Anonymousreply 30October 5, 2024 1:21 AM

R25 - WHAT? He was sleeping with the sheriff's daughter and the sheriff's wife?

Justified - fucked around and found out. Throw the case out - this man is not guilty. If he was also super corrupt - he did the town a favor.

by Anonymousreply 31October 5, 2024 1:55 AM

The killer isn't half bad in a bear daddy kind of way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 5, 2024 1:56 AM

Mama’s mussy no likey

by Anonymousreply 33October 5, 2024 1:58 AM

I don't like his glasses.

by Anonymousreply 34October 5, 2024 2:03 AM

I still can't get over those vertical blinds.

by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2024 2:13 AM

Why be a judge if not to betray your friends for pussy

by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2024 2:14 AM

I still can't get over the painted cinderblocks. And that busted-looking desk? A door on two construction horses would have been better. The two little guest chairs just look sad. Unbefitting of a judge's chambers. The tall shelf on the left looks like particle board.

I had vertical blinds in my old office and I was okay with them. The trouble starts when people try to keep a window or a door open and don't retract the blinds. THAT's when the blinds get twisted and bent. The blinds are to adjust the amount of light, only, not to block wind.

by Anonymousreply 37October 5, 2024 2:43 AM

[quote] The dispute allegedly involved the sheriff's teenage daughter. The police officer testified that Stines' daughter's phone number was on the judge's phone.

Based on the weight of the father, the judge must have been into fat chicks.

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2024 11:33 AM

It's a chore to get blood splatter off those vertical blinds.

by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2024 7:33 PM

The judge looks like he thinks the sheriff is joking - BLAMMMM

by Anonymousreply 40October 5, 2024 7:42 PM

So this must've been the day the lights went out in Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 41October 5, 2024 7:49 PM

there are a lot of rumors swirling around - the one that seems most credible and supported for now is that the sheriff was abusing his family, they were planning to leave/escape with the judges help. Sheriff found out and it was confirmed when his daughter had his cell number blocked but answered a call from the judge. no surprise. american police are the most dangerous criminal gang in the world.

by Anonymousreply 42October 5, 2024 8:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!