Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whole Foods almost RUINED their famous Chantilly Cake!!!

Did they not know I would be OUTRAGED? I joined last year's Million Mom March for Moist Muffins!!! They CLAIM it's fixed, but I know how those Amazon Leftists like to fuck with America's business. I have officially put Whole Foods on my WATCHLIST. This mistake CANNOT happen again!!!

-------

When Lisa Younes visited her local Whole Foods Market in Berkeley, Calif., last month she expected to walk out with a slice of her beloved Berry Chantilly cake: With its lofty layers of almond-scented cake and fluffy mascarpone frosting dotted with fresh mixed berries, it had become her go-to sweet treat for the past year. But there were none available. “I just received the worst news in my entire life,” Ms. Younes declared in a TikTok posted on Sept. 21 from the store’s parking lot. “Whole Foods is discontinuing the Berry Chantilly cake that we all know and love.” She uploaded her reaction — and it quickly drew more than 1.5 million views.

For more than a week, speculation, misinformation and outrage swirled online: Had Whole Foods, owned by Amazon since 2017, eliminated the fresh berries entirely? Would individual slices exist no more? How could the company touch — let alone discontinue, as many surmised — its wildly popular cake, a staple at weddings, birthdays and family celebrations, a cake so renowned it had been trademarked? Chaos reigned on social media, in the news and in the minds of Chantilly cake fanatics.

One theory was that Whole Foods had not discontinued the cake, but changed the recipe to cut costs: “Whole Foods’ Chantilly cake is a victim of shrinkflation,” said Zarinah Williams in a TikTok video. Where there had once been fresh berries in the layers of cream, she observed, only a thin strip of cream and an unfamiliar red jam stood in their place. What was once a slice of cake that occupied most of its clear, hinged takeout container had seemingly dwindled to half its size, with loose berries rattling around in the remaining space.

In an email statement to The New York Times on Sept. 26, Nathan Cimbala, a Whole Foods Market spokesman, said the company had “aligned the flavor profile, size, packaging and price” to standardize the cake slices sold in stores. The reasoning, according to the statement, was that customers would “have the same high-quality experience” no matter which store their cake slices came from. Whole Foods’ cult cake dates back to 2002, when Chaya Conrad, then the bakery team leader of a Whole Foods in New Orleans, created the Berry Chantilly cake. Inspired by a cream cheese frosting her grandmother would make, Ms. Conrad layered a delicate yellow cake with berries and whipped up a cream frosting enriched with mascarpone and cream cheese.

by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2024 1:54 AM

Years before it would go viral on social media, the cake — tall, towering and studded with fresh berries — “was an immediate success; from Day 1 it turned into something,” Ms. Conrad said. Over the next 22 years, the cake, available whole, as a cupcake or by the slice, made its way into family traditions and customers’ hearts. Ms. Conrad said she could see why Whole Foods might want to streamline the cake’s production process. “You have a lot of berries that are very seasonal, the price fluctuates a lot, the availability fluctuates a lot,” she said. “It is globalization at its finest — raspberries, blueberries, blackberries shipped in from wherever. As a business person I understand why on a large level they want to make things more consistent.”

In the end, however, the Berry Chantilly cake was untouchable — and Whole Foods reversed any plans to alter it: “Based on feedback from our customers, we will reintroduce single slices of the Berry Chantilly cake that are the same as the classic our customers know and love,” Mr. Cimbala said in an email on Monday.

Chantilly cake fans who want a taste of the cake as it has been perfected by its creator over the last two decades can always buy one from Ms. Conrad’s Bywater Bakery, which opened in New Orleans in 2017. “It is a huge part of my sales here, and it always will be,” Ms. Conrad said. The recipe she uses at Bywater has evolved to include a white rather than yellow cake base, shifting with local tastes and trends. “To have something that you’ve made that has turned into such a big deal is pretty wild. In New Orleans, when I pass, they’ll be second lining with Chantilly hats and things.”

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2024 8:56 PM

BAKE YOUR OWN DAMNED CAKE

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2024 8:59 PM

Recipe is online. I may try it. Looks delicious.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2024 9:43 PM

Well, the constant recent recalls on fresh berries due to salmonella may well have been a factor.

Where I live, the semi-local Central Market used to make something called a Chocolate Hazelnut Marquis, which was my favorite cake until ten years ago, when they stopped selling it. It seems that it was the specialty of a particular baker on staff who moved somewhere else, and so the cake was no longer available.

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2024 10:08 PM

This was nearly the DL fat whores' 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2024 10:09 PM

NEARLY???????????

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2024 10:11 PM

Fat Whore KARENS!

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2024 10:13 PM

The Chantilly was so creamy that day.

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2024 10:25 PM

We stand with Chantilly!

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2024 11:07 PM

[Quote] Did they not know I would be OUTRAGED?

That’s why they did it! They have launched a campaign to upset and trigger you, but they have sorely underestimated you, and your cake determination.

by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2024 11:20 PM

Please stop talking about that caaaaaaaaaaake.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2024 11:29 PM

Why would WF cut costs? Their shoppers don’t mind paying more.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2024 11:34 PM

[quote]Where I live, the semi-local Central Market used to make something called a Chocolate Hazelnut Marquis

Semi-local? Central Market's in Texas, so which one is it?

[quote]Why would WF cut costs? Their shoppers don’t mind paying more.

Actually, they've been facing some headwinds from consumers resistant on cost. Possibly the biggest change there since Amazon bought it is adding significantly more lower-priced food.

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2024 11:51 PM

I ate a whole substitute cake in one sitting to be sure that Whole Foods had indeed made a change.

I’m off to get another one to make sure that I am sufficiently outraged.

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2024 12:16 AM

Well gee what's the big deal, did she leave her last cake out in the rain? It's not like she'll never have that recipe again.

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2024 12:31 AM

I’d drop a big rock on that garbage cake of theirs if anybody ever bought that crap for me.

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2024 1:21 AM

They left the mafuckin cake out in the rain.

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2024 1:28 AM

OP- The inspiration for this thread was my post on the Underwhelm me thread about going to Whole Foods on Sunday to pick up my Chantilly Cake.

by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2024 1:31 AM

Lady Lindz says this is his favorite cake to serve when he is entertaining his gentleman callers. You know - the ones from RentMen and RentMasseur.

by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2024 1:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!