Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

IndieWire names “Batman Returns” as the best Batman film ever!

I agree. It has always been my favorite. I remember all the controversy surrounding it when it came out. That’s what led WB to fire Burton from the third film and hire Joel Schumacher.

“ Controversial with fans at the time of its release as a weird, fairy tale vision of the Batman mythos, Tim Burton’s ‘Batman Returns’ still feels as fresh and surprising 30 years later as it did when it first hit theaters. While the original ‘Batman’ film was a mostly true-to-the-text take on the character, ‘Batman Returns’ feels like a distorted, feverish vision of Gotham, as a pit of corruption cloaked in snow. While Danny DeVito is a hoot as a grotesque Penguin, the heart of the film lies in Michelle Pfeiffer’s definitive Catwoman, an ordinary citizen turned seductive and damaged creature of the night. The love affair between her and Michael Keaton’s even more adrift and lonely Bruce Wayne makes for the only truly sexy superhero film ever made, an indelibly twisted star-crossed romance with a downcast ending you’d never find in a more traditional blockbuster. If all of that makes ‘Returns’ sound like too much of a departure from Batman to be the greatest Batman film, what makes it really sing is how it zeroes in on the core tragedy and sadness of the character, his inability to find true peace and healing. A story of lost souls in a damaged society, ‘Batman Returns’ isn’t just the weirdest Batman film, it’s still the best. ”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2024 9:51 PM

The 90s Batman films rule and are much better than nihilistic Dark Knight films. Even with one with Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2024 8:33 PM

I remember watching it in the theater and feeling like it was trying to do too much but I’ve since come around on it. The first two Burton ones are my favorites. They feel true to the character and fresh at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2024 8:34 PM

Pfeiffer’s transformation scene was the highlight of the middling movie. Easily the best of the Burton trilogy, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2024 9:01 PM

My mom took us to see the first Batman at the drive-in and I ended up seeing the next four all at the drive-in. I really like the first two and the third and fourth we're still pretty entertaining to me. The first one of the Nolan trilogy was so boring and long that I never bother to even try to watch the other two and ended my tradition of going to the drive-in to see Batman.

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2024 9:12 PM

R3 what is the Burton trilogy?

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2024 9:13 PM

R4 Batman Begins is very slow in the beginning but is very a good origin story. I would be lying if I didn’t say Dark Knight is wildly entertaining but upon rewatches it’s kinda depressing. It’s too dark. Same with Dark Knight rises. It’s because the realism is so strong that any fucking villain like the Joker would have the fucking national guard, and green berets after him. It would be an internal ww3.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2024 9:18 PM

R6 that may be but these long intricate looks at their origin stories are not my favorites. Like maybe an early years type of movie I would have enjoyed but as far as Batman's origin all I need to know is his parents were killed in alley during the robbery and he decided he would put fear into the hearts of criminals. What happened between that and him putting on the costume I really don't care that much about or feel needs to be elaborated on.

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2024 9:25 PM

I liked all three Nolan films but Rises is easily the weakest.

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2024 9:27 PM

Meow!

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2024 9:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!