Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any corporate lawyers on here?

When an artist sells their catalogue of music do they sometimes include stipulations as to its use. I imagine many influential artists will still want some say in how their music is to be used especially in the political realm. Anyone have any insight about this?

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2024 1:29 AM

No. Typically no rights are reserved. You take the $ and run. That’s what the buyer pays for: all right, title and interest.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2024 8:10 PM

Yes I am one and no I won’t answer your question.

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2024 8:15 PM

R2 but you will post on the thread to cunt so you had time today bitch. Thanks r1. I was just thinking maybe they set some board or some contractual obligation that states what the catalogue could not be used for.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2024 8:18 PM

You can negotiate anything you want in a contract, op. Both sides so back and forth and if they can come to an agreement it's executed

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2024 8:47 PM

What R4 said. CONTRACTS with the releasing label.

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2024 8:58 PM

Op I’m surprised you don’t try to order me to wear my pussy backwards.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2024 8:58 PM

I'm not a lawyer but I did copy this from Merrill Lynch's website on the subject. Consideration #4: What conditions can be built into the sale? “If you sell your catalog, it can be exploited in ways you might not approve of,” Block notes. “That's why you should work with your team to research the prospective buyer to see how they have leveraged catalogs they have purchased in the past. You may also be able to build stipulations into the contract that limit how your catalog can be used or allow you to buy back your catalog.” When selling the publishing rights to your songs, the new owner can choose how to license your songs, including partnering with brands and political organizations. If your catalog ends up in the hands of an investor who uses it for causes that are not aligned with your values, you may want to think about how it might impact your reputation.

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2024 9:15 PM

OP, do you have a catalog of music, TeaLeaf?

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2024 9:34 PM

I’m deep in trouble with the law!

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2024 9:41 PM

R8 Oh no 😂. I wish through.

by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2024 10:08 PM

[quote]I’m deep in trouble with the law!

Shoot the sheriff.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2024 10:23 PM

If you sell with caveats the price will be lower. It means you are still having a modicum of control. I imagine this would involve some time limits as well. I’d also have to be pretty carefully about the caveats.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2024 10:31 PM

Sell “the catalogue” does not imply reserved rights.

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2024 10:39 PM

You can sell a house and try to get the buyers to not paint it a different color or cut the tree in the backyard down, but then you have to specify what the penalties are for not observing the agreement, u less you want to spend beau coup bucks on lawyers or arbitration.

by Anonymousreply 14October 4, 2024 10:50 PM

I do this for a living OP. Once you sell it, the buyer can do whatever they want.

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2024 1:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!