Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you and your partner have opposing political beliefs?

My partner of 20 years is voting Republican this November. To put it mildly, this is very upsetting to me.

Not sure how to deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 53October 5, 2024 10:25 PM

OP, time for a divorce.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2024 5:23 PM

Would find that too stressful. I’ve gone on some dates with republicans and that was as far as it could go

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2024 5:24 PM

Punch and delete.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2024 5:29 PM

Ouch. You’re right.

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2024 5:31 PM

Being conservative or a Republican isn't a deal breaker if you love them otherwise. Supporting Trump and all that he stands for is inexcusable. Get your money separated, pawn the jewelry, and start searching for an apartment.

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2024 5:32 PM

Was this a sudden turn? If someone wasn’t for Trump in 2016 or 2020, I can’t imagine him turning someone. His campaign is repulsive and getting worse.

And if you tolerated in 2016, you could have left then and be in a relationship with someone decent.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2024 5:36 PM

I have some thoughts on this.

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2024 5:38 PM

Are you sure he's not just trolling you?

I'm sure some people who say they're voting Trump just say it to get attention.

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2024 5:38 PM

I wouldn't speak to, much less live with, a person stupid and/or deranged enough to consider voting for TRUMP or ANY Republican in this (or the last two) elections.

No excuse. No tolerance.

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2024 5:41 PM

My favorite brother in law lives in Michigan and says he's voting for Jill Stein, as he did in 2016. I convinced him in 2020 not to throw away his vote and he voted for Biden. This year he's holding firm. Last week, I told him if he doesn't vote for Kamala, he will not only be throwing away his vote but he will be putting in peril the lives of all the women in his life--me, my spouse (his sister) and his daughter. Because if Michigan falls, Trump most likely will win and women's health care--not just reproductive health care-- will be decimated. And, so, if he doesn't vote for Kamala, I no longer can have a relationship with him because he knows what the consequences are to the women in his life and he's choosing to put our health in jeopardy.

He agreed to vote for Kamala. I told him he's welcome to throw his vote away at an election where the stakes aren't so high.

I'd say something similar to your husband. If you vote for Trump, I can't stay married because you are knowingly putting my health and safety directly in jeopardy. Of course, it can't be an empty threat. You have to be prepared to leave him. I was prepared to end my relationship with my brother in law.

by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2024 5:48 PM

As we come down to casting the final vote I’m not sure I will vote which is not who I am.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2024 6:02 PM

Thank you R10.

I’ve been in denial the last couple of days. I haven’t talked about it with family or friends, kind of paralyzed. I really need to get prepared.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2024 6:02 PM

Just shoot him!

- The Party of compassion, tolerance and joy

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2024 6:24 PM

Need some context, OP. How did he vote the past 20 years? Are you a gay man, lesbian, or a straight woman? Legally married?

by Anonymousreply 14October 4, 2024 6:25 PM

Which sock puppet is this, OP?

by Anonymousreply 15October 4, 2024 6:43 PM

"Not sure how to deal with it."

The old, reliable way: punch and delete.

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2024 6:49 PM

I was the rethuglican when my boy toy and hocked up 30 years ago. I was raised that way and had my own business as well.

When voting we just laughed and said we canceled each others votes. Then 'W' became president and I got pissed.

Voted for Obama in 2008 and that was that.

by Anonymousreply 17October 4, 2024 7:02 PM

OP why don’t you beat him.

by Anonymousreply 18October 4, 2024 7:02 PM

It's hard, OP. Most of my family is right wing. I love them to death and they me. But it's so difficult - especially during election season - to be around them. I couldn't imagine living with them.

For the record, my first partner was a Republican. He was also the love of my life. But this was mid 90s through the first Bush term. Totally different world. (He also thought Bush was a moron, so that helped.) We never argued over politics. Ever. Just respected our differences.

I just don't think I could do that now. I condole you.

by Anonymousreply 19October 4, 2024 7:25 PM

R11, really? WTF. Think of the women around you and the LGBTQ+ community. Not voting is surrendering to Project 2025 and that orange fucker...how could you. Get outta here.

by Anonymousreply 20October 4, 2024 7:37 PM

OP, your partner could have early onset dementia if he's switched allegiance after all this time. Get him checked out.

by Anonymousreply 21October 4, 2024 7:41 PM

OP your partner is NOT "voting republican." He is voting for Trump. This election, there is no in between. A vote for republican means you either openly or secretly prefer Trump.

I'm assuming this is another stupid EST post, because one person in the household who is a Trumper is highly unlikely. Either that, or you are so pathetically desperate to stick with a Trumper rather than be alone.

Either way, reevaluate your life.

by Anonymousreply 22October 4, 2024 7:46 PM

r10 "I convinced him in 2020 not to throw away his vote and he voted for Biden."

100% he did not.

by Anonymousreply 23October 4, 2024 7:47 PM

OP, of course report him to the local Commissar, silly!

by Anonymousreply 24October 4, 2024 8:05 PM

I've never understood how people with opposing political beliefs could be a couple - unless it's just for sex or money.

If you have truly opposing political beliefs, it means you have opposing views on everything from the social safety net to climate change to basic human rights and how people should be treated.

If they are truly opposing, it means that your fundamental moral compasses point in opposite directions. And, when it comes down to it, you will have different priorities.

by Anonymousreply 25October 4, 2024 8:08 PM

I honestly don’t know how mixed-politics couples make it work.

My values are too important to me; I would never, ever consider dating a Republican. It’s hard enough to be friends with them. In fact, whenever I find out someone is a Republican, I tend to lose respect for them and their intelligence, not to mention integrity.

by Anonymousreply 26October 4, 2024 9:01 PM

Vote for me and I’ll fill your mouth with my pee

by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2024 10:24 PM

[quote]I have some thoughts on this. —Mrs. Patsy Ramsey, formerly of Boulder, C0

Oh, and a how-to manual and a couple of brochures.

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2024 10:27 PM

My partner (RIP) and I disagreed on a lot of political things. I've had a few friends who were very conservative and some who were very far left (in one case, an older guy who had literally been a member of the communist party). This has never bothered me like it does many people. Simply can't relate to OP"s feelings.

by Anonymousreply 29October 4, 2024 10:43 PM

R29 “literally”

Yikes

by Anonymousreply 30October 5, 2024 1:24 AM

Simply can't relate to people like r29 who brag about being politically unengaged/uniformed.

by Anonymousreply 31October 5, 2024 1:25 AM

Everyone gets one vote. You don’t get your partner’s vote as well. Look at it that way.

by Anonymousreply 32October 5, 2024 1:36 AM

Tell your partner If he votes for Trump you won't love him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 33October 5, 2024 1:37 AM

I agree with you, R29.

by Anonymousreply 34October 5, 2024 1:52 AM

Does a fart smell?!

by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2024 1:57 AM

[Quote] The Party of compassion, tolerance and joy

R13 as in Joy Behar who has been miserable for years.

by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2024 1:58 AM

R36, The Party isn't happy unless everyone is miserable and enfeebled in every way.

- R13

by Anonymousreply 37October 5, 2024 1:16 PM

This would be just about tolerable if both partners are straight but any lgbt individual who decides to vote for Trump must be profoundly stupid and not worth being in a relationship with.

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2024 3:20 PM

R31, I am not politically uninformed. At all. I read the NYT and WSJ regularly. I read SCOTUS opinions for no other reason than it's a nerdy interest of mine. I follow world news more closely than most Americans.

I choose to approach life and these situations differently than you. That's all. If you consider that not engaged or activist enough, oh well.

by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2024 3:37 PM

In this moment it would be extremely difficult for me to maintain admiration for my partner if he were a GOP/Trump voter.

And if you don't admire your partner, then what kind of relationship is it?

by Anonymousreply 40October 5, 2024 3:45 PM

My brother is a magat. We don't speak, bc he brings politics and specifically his hatred into every conversation, no matter how innocuous the initial subject.

I would imagine being married to someone like that would be 1000x worse and incompatible with daily life together.

by Anonymousreply 41October 5, 2024 5:02 PM

I don't get it. How can a couple with opposing values stay a couple? Republicans believe in voting self-interest before anything else. They believe that it's wrong to help others. They believe that gays are second class citizens. They believe people of color and women should not have the same rights as they have.

Why would someone want to be with someone with these views unless you share them?

Which means, OP, you secretly do share these views. You get to pretend you're a decent fellow and your partner gets to be evil for you.

You're no better than he is.

by Anonymousreply 42October 5, 2024 5:07 PM

I don't believe this OP is a thing. Right now, there are all sorts of forces going onto websites such as this just to create conflict and dissension and fake conversations 'because I read on a website of a gay couple where one is voting for Trump." Don't fall for any of this. It is highly strategic and focused and very Russian driven.

by Anonymousreply 43October 5, 2024 5:10 PM

OP, is your partner a Log Cabinette?

by Anonymousreply 44October 5, 2024 5:19 PM

R39, people have gone politically insane in the past in the past 10 years or so. You are not the crazy one.

by Anonymousreply 45October 5, 2024 5:34 PM

If I had a partner we would be completely in sync politically as I do not associate with Republicans in any way, shape or form.

by Anonymousreply 46October 5, 2024 6:01 PM

I’m center-right and he’s center-left, but we live in a country where neither of those are toxic, and have voted for the same parties in the past. If either of us went to the extreme I think it would be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 47October 5, 2024 6:43 PM

OP, allegedly in Hollywood they use certain tapes from certain famous parties to convince white dudes they are for Harris. But this practice seems dishonest.

by Anonymousreply 48October 5, 2024 7:55 PM

If someone chooses to live a conservative life that's their choice. But a vote now for trump is a vote supporting white supremacy, hate, crime, cheating, lying, and every other repulsive thing trump and his allies have ever done. It's a vote for greed, oppression, cruelty, inequality, rape (on multiple levels) and intolerance.

Op, dump the idiot. Your life will improve.

Some people are enamored with Vance. He's just the tip of a mass of lies and hate. Don't be fooled. There's a good chance the next administration will become the Vance administration. Intolerable and the end of democracy.

by Anonymousreply 49October 5, 2024 8:10 PM

^^^someone has drunk a whole pitcher of the Kool Aide.

by Anonymousreply 50October 5, 2024 8:18 PM

Wipe that Kool Aide off your face, R50. I imagine you're house is filled with snake oil you've bought so much of it.

by Anonymousreply 51October 5, 2024 8:26 PM

i'll lend you my Shit Bra, but I want it back!

by Anonymousreply 52October 5, 2024 8:28 PM

5 deal breakers back in my dating days. One was no Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 53October 5, 2024 10:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!