Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have there ever been any popular a cappella songs?

Inspired by the "What happened to popular instrumental songs?" thread.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2024 4:35 PM

No,. but that doesn't stop collegiate a capella groups from imagining they're giving their audiences anything other than pure joy.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2024 3:11 PM

The closest I can think of is the Dixie Cups’ Iko Iko cover with just a drumstick sound in the background. I was also thinking of the Chordettes popular tunes, but they had sparse background accompaniment also.

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2024 3:16 PM

Is there still a glut of those college a capella groups today? They were EVERYWHERE in the late 80s and 90s. Their pop idols were The Nylons.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2024 3:16 PM

They were also hugely inspired by the Manhattan Transfer (who had musical accompaniment).

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2024 3:19 PM

Wasn't the horrid Don't Worry, Be Happy a huge a cappella hit?

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2024 3:20 PM

R5 yes it was.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2024 3:25 PM

Was Billy Joel's For The Longest Time a cappella? I don't recall any instruments.

Normally I can't stand him but I thought it was a nice piece of music.

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2024 3:32 PM

The Roaches

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2024 3:35 PM

In 1974, a group called Prelude had a hit with an a cappella cover of Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2024 3:40 PM

Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner

Although there was a later dance version that was more commercially popular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2024 3:43 PM

Cups by that hatchet face Anna Kendrick. She does use cups to create a rhythm but technically those are not classified as instruments.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2024 3:54 PM

[quote] Wasn't the horrid Don't Worry, Be Happy a huge a cappella hit?

Technically, it was not a capella. It had minimal musical accompaniment.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2024 4:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!