Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Love Boat

It was such a stupid show. Why was it so successful? The stories were completely negligible, and the setting really wasn't that glamorous.

The only reason I can think it was a hit for so long was the chance to see old Hollywood stars again do something, and they were willing to do the show since it was so ridiculously lightweight and non-taxing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2024 6:05 PM

There were only three networks, and PBS, when it first came on.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2024 6:23 AM

Everyone thought it was stupid, and everyone watched it anyway!

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2024 6:34 AM

It was comfort TV. That concept is gone.

It was actually nice.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2024 6:45 AM

Were there any other shows similar to Love Boat? Fantasy Island kind of, but I can’t think of anything like it.

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2024 6:48 AM

Can someone explain if the doctor was supposed to be seen as sexy? Every time he shows interest in a lady I feel a sense of dread.

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2024 6:55 AM

[quote] Were there any other shows similar to Love Boat? Fantasy Island kind of, but I can’t think of anything like it.

“Hotel.” But it was several years later and felt much more. The distinction between the 70s and 80s was huge despite it being only a few years.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2024 6:56 AM

I was laid off from my lucrative job in November 2021 and I spent an entire 3 months during the holidays at home watching this on repeat. It helped me.

It was what helped me to feel held and comforted and to go to sleep each night.

It makes no sense to me at this point, but it definitely was my main source of comfort at that time. I guess the familiarity/predictability/disco outfits.

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2024 6:58 AM

Aaron Spelling knew what America wanted to watch.

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2024 6:59 AM

Agents and execs loved the conveyor belt of guest stars. Everyone from ageing contract players to up-and-comers to Andy Warhol used that show for a buck and some screen time.

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2024 7:00 AM

R7 This is why I’d rather just binge older shows that I know I love already, rather than investing hours into some mediocre new show.

by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2024 7:33 AM

[Quote] Aaron Spelling knew what America wanted to watch.

And yet he still cast Tori in 90210.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2024 7:45 AM

The special, two-hour special episode with Carol Channing, Della Reese, Ethel Merman, Ann Miller, Van Johnson, and Cab Calloway almost broke camp forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2024 7:52 AM

ABC has tried to sell its new series "Doctor Odyssey" as a contemporary "Love Boat."

I don't see it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2024 8:15 AM

The Actors Studio went black the night Sandy Dennis appeared on the show.

by Anonymousreply 14October 4, 2024 9:53 AM

It was successful because it was better than Love American Style.

by Anonymousreply 15October 4, 2024 10:02 AM

All those ABC stars whacked out on cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2024 10:34 AM

I’ve tried to watch a few episodes recently on Pluto TV. Godawful — cardboard sets, bizarrely layered background and foreground actors, weird music cues, and makeup did not do those old-timer guest stars ant favors. But, like Murder, She Wrote it was a venue for older audiences to see past favorites and for the network to spotlight their less than charismatic contractees. I was in my 20s during its initial run and I used to wonder who the hell sat home on a Saturday night watching TV.

by Anonymousreply 17October 4, 2024 10:40 AM

Mindless entertainment, dear. Something we desperately need more of.

by Anonymousreply 18October 4, 2024 11:27 AM

Spelling hit on the "day for scale" model of getting a lot of guest stars with "Burke's Law". Mostly semi-washed-up people occasionally paying against type.

by Anonymousreply 19October 4, 2024 11:46 AM

I loved the E! True Hollywood Story they did on the Love Boat years ago.

Gopher got severely burned in Brazil. They were riding around in a car and Julie was freebasing in the backseat and it ignited a balloon that was filled with hydrogen instead of helium.

by Anonymousreply 20October 4, 2024 11:54 AM

Comfort food for the lonely hearts who didn't have a date or any socialization on a Saturday night. ABC knew what it was doing and where to schedule it on the primetime schedule (Saturdays, 9 pm). And the cruise industry certainly benefited from it.

I remember reading an article saying that the 'cruise ship industry' practically quadrupled in business when this show was on the air - all these single men and women booking a cruise for their vacations. (Hence the exploding popularity in the 80s and beyond). TLB was reaching a target audience the cruise industry couldn't reach via advertisements before.

by Anonymousreply 21October 4, 2024 11:55 AM

My grandmother and I would watch it on Saturday nights when I was just a young gayling.

She liked that people dressed up every night. Even the people who were supposed to be average, middle class people had three Nolan Miller gowns and tuxedos to wear to dinner.

Three stories. One low-impact serious, one light comedy and one throw away interstitial nonsense story to bind it all together. I think the third kind gets cut down a lot for the Pluto versions.

It was essentially an "Introduction to Camp" class for my younger self. I'll always have a fondness for it.

by Anonymousreply 22October 4, 2024 12:01 PM

R3 They’re still making comfort TV in Merry Old England

Midsomer Murders

Grantchester

Father Brown

That’s just the first 3 that came to mind

by Anonymousreply 23October 4, 2024 1:13 PM

How are you doing now R7? Well I hope

by Anonymousreply 24October 4, 2024 1:15 PM

This thread calls to mind one of my favorite DL exchanges, from the thread about bizarre deaths.

"R24: Albert Dekker. On May 5, 1968, Dekker was found dead in his Hollywood home by his fiancée, fashion model and future Love Boat creator Jeraldine Saunders. He was naked, kneeling in the bathtub, with a noose tightly wrapped around his neck and looped around the shower curtain rod. He was blindfolded, his wrists were handcuffed, there was a ball gag in his mouth, and two hypodermic needles were inserted in one arm. His body was covered in explicit words and drawings in red lipstick. Money and camera equipment were missing, but there was no sign of forced entry.

R25: I can see how an experience like that would be so horrific that it would cause you to create The Love Boat."

by Anonymousreply 25October 4, 2024 2:06 PM

The bartender looked like one of the Village People.

by Anonymousreply 26October 4, 2024 2:10 PM

Aaron Spelling doesn't get enough credit for delivering content to American audiences that they wanted. Were his programs the most intellectual? Nope. But the reason they worked it because he showed fantasy, hope, something to take people's minds off their daily mundane routines. He was the king of producing pop culture television. And, to date, he was one of the most prolific television producers of all time. Love Boat is a prime example.

by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2024 2:11 PM

intershtishial nonshenshe

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2024 2:35 PM

I was too young to watch it first run. What you said, OP, people liked all the guest spots. It's a comfort thing. A simple idea of an exciting transformational vacation. It was corny but not hard to follow. Predictable, clear start/finish and it all happens in one place. Maybe it was glamorous enough...a lot fewer people had passports.

by Anonymousreply 29October 4, 2024 2:51 PM

I kind of liked it as a little kid because it just seemed silly. I've been watching it some recently on Pluto too, and yes it's really bad -- it's fun to watch in small doses but after an episode or so, it really starts to grate.

That said, I watched one recently with Parker Stevenson and Kirstie Alley as a young couple. In one scene Parker was wearing a cashmere sweater/short shorts combo, and his legs looked fucking great.

by Anonymousreply 30October 4, 2024 3:00 PM

The world moved slower. Love the slower pace of early 80s TV. I'd watch it again to trip out on the clothes and sets and questionable acting and dumb situations.

by Anonymousreply 31October 4, 2024 3:11 PM

Andy Warhol was on LB - never saw it, but in his diaries he wrote about being a love interest for Marion Ross????

by Anonymousreply 32October 4, 2024 3:40 PM

Is Dr. Odyssey the new Love Boat?

by Anonymousreply 33October 4, 2024 3:43 PM

This thread brings back memories of an era. In Houston, in the 80s, a shyster named Michael Pollack shilled Colonial House apartments for swinging singles. I believe it was nicknamed VD House.

The Love Boat and this are such perfect time capsules of specific eras.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 4, 2024 3:53 PM

Captain Stubing had too much to drink on that last voyage...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 4, 2024 4:09 PM

Bernie Coppell as some hot on the prowl doc was hilarious miscasting.

by Anonymousreply 36October 4, 2024 4:18 PM

R5, I think Doc was supposed to be seen as sexy but I could never understand why. To me he'll always be Don Hollinger's generic coworker.

by Anonymousreply 37October 4, 2024 4:43 PM

Marion Ross was playing a former Factory superstar turned respectable actress, if I remember correctly, r32.

by Anonymousreply 38October 4, 2024 4:43 PM

At its height, "The Love Boat" dominated the Saturday 9pm primetime slot, beating "CBS Saturday Movie" and NBC's "B. J. and The Bear" in the ratings. It was a silly show, but it was mindless lite faire and we didn't have a lot of tv viewing options back then. And the producers were smart. Not only did they hire old-time stars of yore that the grandparents would know, they also brought in popular child/teen stars and idols of the day to draw in young audiences.

by Anonymousreply 39October 4, 2024 4:52 PM

R29 - In the 1970's/1980's, approximately 5% of the US population had a passport.

By the way, in that time period, Pacific Princess cabin prices makes SIlversea/Regent/Seabourn look cheap.

1979 135 sq ft inside cabin for a week in 2024 dollars was was $13,000.

Of course, you can't tell the difference between Princess and Carnival today.

by Anonymousreply 40October 4, 2024 5:04 PM

R40 the Pacific Princess would look like a river cruise boat compared to the mammoth size of today’s ships.

by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2024 5:35 PM

I was swell in it!

by Anonymousreply 42October 4, 2024 5:41 PM

First, last and always it was all about Lauren Tewes and the blow...

by Anonymousreply 43October 4, 2024 5:55 PM

R41, Yes, and the garbage trucks that go down my street are really big too, but at the end of the day, they're still garbage trucks.

by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2024 6:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!