Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Fog (1980)

Just watched this film for the first time in years last night. It holds up okay because it's a pretty "small" film as it is. The ambiance is nice, but the whole avenging lost gold thing was very corny.

Also, Adrienne Barbeau is not a good actor. Jamie Lee Curtis looked just like Geri Jewell did on The Facts of Life. I was always confused why John Carpenter continually cast the underwhelming Tom Atkins in so many projects.

Nancy Loomis has the worst line readings in the history of acting, but she looked much prettier in this than she did in Halloween and the negativity she constantly conveys worked for the character. Loomis would have been perfect to play Debbie Downer in a movie version of the SNL sketch.

Janet Leigh aged very quickly, as this film was only twenty years after Psycho and she looked like an old lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2024 1:33 AM

The Fag

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2024 12:32 AM

Supposedly, Jamie was a bitch to Adrienne on the set because Jamie was good friends with the producer Debra Hill, whom John Carpenter had left for Adrienne.

I think the movie deserves a better reputation, but coming on the heels of Halloween, it was deemed as inferior at the time. But it's very atmospheric and has some genuine scares. And no, Adrienne gives a good performance as a nighttime DJ (she has the perfect voice for it).

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2024 12:33 AM

It could have been a good movie had it had better special effects, and had John Carpenter not written such a disproportionately large role for his wife Adrienne Barbeau, who just wasn't up to it.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2024 1:02 AM

His movie The Thing 1982 is the one to watch.

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2024 1:15 AM

“Stay away from the fog! —And from my big boobies and disco hairdo, too, while you’re at it!”

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2024 1:21 AM

I loved this movie as a kid when I watched it in the theater alone. Anyway, not long ago I came across an old horror movie (I think from the 60s) that was about vengeful ghosts from a deliberately sunk ship that come ashore to terrorize the town's descendants who caused their death. Well, shit. I guess John came up with the leper part for added creeps. Still, the movie holds up nicely and is a fun watch. And it's immensely better than that steaming pile remake that got lost in its own CGI and screwed up the backstory for no real reason.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2024 1:28 AM

I never thought this was scary.

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2024 1:29 AM

Many people do. Personally I never found The Exorcist to be scary, yet it's regarded as a classic horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2024 1:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!