Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Menendez Brothers case now UNDER REVIEW for the first time in 28 years! A new hearing will happen next month

“Today, what I wanted to be very clear, we have not conceded one way or the other, we are not saying that there was anything wrong with the original trial,” Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón said in a press conference held on Thursday, October 3. “We have been giving evidence, we have been given a photocopy of a letter that allegedly was sent by one of the brothers to another family member talking about him being the victim of molestation.”

Gascón added, “We have also got evidence that was provided from the defense, by his lawyer, that one of the members of the Menudo band alleged that he was molested by [Jose Menendez].”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 4, 2024 6:07 PM

I TOLD YA MY SERIES WAS WORTH SOMETHING!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2024 10:54 PM

More cock next time, Ryan!

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2024 11:02 PM

I don't care if they were molested -- that doesn't give them a license to kill when they easily could have left home and the abuse without killing anyone and gotten regular jobs and lived regular lives.

They just wanted the fucking money.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2024 11:05 PM

They’ve done their time. Let them out so they can do some good in the world.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2024 11:08 PM

If they had acted contrite and only killed the dad, they probably would be today.

But they shot their mother and acted like douchey assholes before they were arrested, spending money like Elton John on a day when he feels puffy.

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2024 11:10 PM

[spending money like Elton John on a day when he feels puffy.]

I am so stealing this.

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2024 11:19 PM

[quote] I don't care if they were molested -- that doesn't give them a license to kill when they easily could have left home and the abuse without killing anyone and gotten regular jobs and lived regular lives.

Child victims of sexual molestation grow up in a cage of trauma, abject fear, shame and distrust. I can't imagine what it was like to be molested by the man who was supposed to protect you and keep you safe. They were so damaged they probably felt that killing was the only way they could be free. I don't think 35 years of prison was the appropriate rehabilitation, they needed mental health counseling and pharmaceuticals. Now, after all this time in prison, they probably really are criminals.

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2024 11:19 PM

See. Murphy wasn’t lying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2024 11:19 PM

And yet they and their legions of online cat lady stans bitched and moaned about the show.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2024 11:19 PM

I think the most damning detail from the case is their decision to shoot the parents with shotguns, including the knees, to make it look like a mafia hit. And then after they killed them they told the police, "oh, it was probably a mafia hit!" Premeditation up the wazoo. Which precludes a defense that excuses them because they took their dad up the wazoo. Oh, wait...

In short, if the defense could have successfully persuaded either jury they killed the parents because of the 1) trauma of being molested and 2) a feeling that Jose was going to kill them because they threatened to tell about the abuse. Neither point was successfully made.

I do think Jose molested them.

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2024 11:19 PM

IIRC, in the second trial, the judge disallowed a lot of the molestation claims they made in the first trial.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2024 11:22 PM

R11 in part because subsequent to the first trial there was discovery of Lyle's letters to folks coaching them about how to lie about the molestation.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2024 11:25 PM

R10 Two things can be true at the same time. This is the issue, people think it has to be one or the other. It can be both.

Yes, I believe they were abused and raped by their father. But yes, I do believe money played a motive in them killing him. That’s why they killed mom too. If she’s alive they still inherit NOTHING. They already contacted who they needed to contact to take them out of the will. That wasn’t made up.

They didn’t just “shoot their parents” with a shotgun. They shot them FOURTEEN TIMES. Erik actually ran out of ammo so he went back outside, refilled the gun and went back inside and shot them some more. Not even Lyle did that. You don’t shoot them 14 times with a shotgun, a few shots close range to the HEAD, and say it was “self defense”.

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2024 11:25 PM

I stole it from Veep r6. I can’t take credit for it but it is a VERY useful.

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2024 11:31 PM

Kim K is fighting hard for them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2024 11:35 PM

I hope they don’t waste taxpayer money with a new trial. They should just real ease them for time served. If they were two girls who had been molested NYT their father they wouldn’t have spent a day in jail.

by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2024 11:36 PM

[quote] And yet they and their legions of online cat lady stans bitched and moaned about the show.

The crime, and the show, are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2024 11:38 PM

[quote] They didn’t just “shoot their parents” with a shotgun. They shot them FOURTEEN TIMES.

They were angry because he molested them, she knew and did nothing. I would have shot them 15 times.

by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2024 11:43 PM

When will people learn you can’t just kill someone because they raped/molested you? And when will people learn what self defense is?

by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2024 11:46 PM

Sexual molestation of a child is akin to murder. An eye for an eye.

by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2024 11:48 PM

I could never be a murderer, no matter what abuse I suffered. And I have suffered. The most I ever did was fight back, and it worked. Maybe I was luckier than some but while I might have wished death upon an abuser, I never felt that murder would solve anything.

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2024 11:49 PM

R20 they were no longer children. One was 21 and the other 18. They could have moved out and cut off ties with their parents

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2024 11:53 PM

[quote] I could never be a murderer, no matter what abuse I suffered. And I have suffered. The most I ever did was fight back, and it worked. Maybe I was luckier than some but while I might have wished death upon an abuser, I never felt that murder would solve anything.

Unless your abuser was your father, you should take a seat here in the back with all the rest of us who've survived abuse.

by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2024 11:54 PM

^unaware of how extreme trauma hits.

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2024 11:56 PM

R23 I was abused. Guess what? I didn’t murder anyone.

by Anonymousreply 25October 3, 2024 11:57 PM

Wouldn’t it be funny if the Menendez Bros got out of prison and immediately went to kill Ryan Murphy?

by Anonymousreply 26October 3, 2024 11:59 PM

R24 was meant for R22, who thinks the abused are to blame.

by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2024 12:02 AM

Hooray for you, R25. I was abused too and I didn't murder anyone either.

But I can empathize with any victim wanting to murder their abuser.

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2024 12:04 AM

R7, they were young adults, not children. They could have just moved out of the damn house, but then they'd have to get a job instead of being supported by Daddy

by Anonymousreply 29October 4, 2024 12:05 AM

R27 being molested doesn’t give you the right to murder. What is hard to understand? You’re 18+? LEAVE. Why wouldn’t they move out?

by Anonymousreply 30October 4, 2024 12:05 AM

R29 I agree with this. I keep saying this. They were 18 and 21. MOVE OUT. But you know why they wouldn’t. They would have to actually support themselves and not live off daddy’s millions.

by Anonymousreply 31October 4, 2024 12:06 AM

If they get a new trial, it will be because of Cooper Koch and Nicholas Alexander Chavez. Their portrayal of the brothers resonated with the public and made them human. Erik and Lyle should get on their knees and thank them.

Cooper said in an interview that they deserved to go to prison, but they have done their time. It's been 34 years. They have been exemplary inmates and have done so much for prison reform. They are not a threat to society.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 4, 2024 12:09 AM

Melinda Loveless was released a few years ago after planning and executing the kidnapping/torture/murder/burning of Shanda Sharer when she was a teenager. Some of her sympathizers said she deserved leniency (I disagree) because she was abused at home as a child. If she can be free, I think the Menendez brothers should be free.

by Anonymousreply 33October 4, 2024 12:13 AM

burning*

by Anonymousreply 34October 4, 2024 12:13 AM

R30, I believe I understand. I agree that no one has a right to murder another person. I am but a poor reflection of the divine grace and mercy demonstrated by my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I have sympathy for the Menendei as I do toward all the less fortunate...including you.

by Anonymousreply 35October 4, 2024 12:13 AM

[quote]FOURTEEN TIMES

They had it comin'!

by Anonymousreply 36October 4, 2024 12:17 AM

R35 WTF. Not murdering someone has nothing to do with Christianity. What is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 37October 4, 2024 12:17 AM

If Gypsy Rose could get out of prison so should they

by Anonymousreply 38October 4, 2024 12:46 AM

Free them. It's time.

by Anonymousreply 39October 4, 2024 1:39 AM

I think the Menendez brothers’ motive wasn’t entirely abuse or entirely greed. If they cut off contact with their father, he would cut them off financially so he could claim that any accusations of abuse were lies from the bitter ingrates he disinherited. Even if his sons never spoke to him again, Jose would still have access to boys through his work in the music industry. They couldn’t stop him or bring him to justice. Walking away from an inheritance meant walking away from the only thing that probably felt like restitution.

Murder was the only option that allowed Lyle and Erik to get away from their father while still maintaining access to his money,. The murders were so brutal because it wasn’t just about money. They murdered their mother because she knew about the abuse and failed to intervene.

This isn't meant to excuse murder or suggest jail time isn’t appropriate after killing your parents, only that thirty years is likely longer than you need to spend in prison after facing such a hopeless situation.

by Anonymousreply 40October 4, 2024 2:40 AM

R40 everything you posted was a reach.

by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2024 3:06 AM

R40, no, they told Dr. Oziel they killed their mom because they felt sorry for her and because it would have been hard to get their father alone to kill him

by Anonymousreply 42October 4, 2024 3:12 AM

R42 idc what they said. They lied a lot. A LOT.

by Anonymousreply 43October 4, 2024 3:16 AM

This is not surprising.

Commie-fornia is run by radical "woke" liberals.

They sympathize with criminals a lot.

Notice how the "wokes" in Hollywood glamorize/romanticize criminals, too.

by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2024 3:19 AM

^ Megyn Kelly

by Anonymousreply 45October 4, 2024 3:28 AM

I'd much rather live in "Commiefornia" than any shithole Southern state.

by Anonymousreply 46October 4, 2024 3:29 AM

[quote] If they get a new trial, it will be because of Cooper Koch and Nicholas Alexander Chavez. Their portrayal of the brothers resonated with the public and made them human. Erik and Lyle should get on their knees and thank them.

I know DLers are in live with these 2 actors.

HOWEVER ... efforts at getting a new trial have probably been in the works for YEARS. A ton of attorneys have probably worked on this. This Netflix series did not cause the movement towards getting a new trial.

by Anonymousreply 47October 4, 2024 4:37 AM

R47 false.

by Anonymousreply 48October 4, 2024 4:58 AM

Ryan Murphy predicts they will be free by Christmas.

They better get ready to send him flowers.

He also said he wants to make the hearing taking place in November into a special episode or two (like how Euphoria had those two special episodes for Rue and Jules), and he knows Chavez and Koch would be down to play the now older Menendez bros

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 4, 2024 5:27 AM

What happened to the fortune they inherited? Can beneficiaries keep an inheritance if they murder their parents?

by Anonymousreply 50October 4, 2024 7:26 AM

Their inheritance is in Roth IRAs, now.

by Anonymousreply 51October 4, 2024 8:43 AM

Their wives must be thrilled.

by Anonymousreply 52October 4, 2024 10:15 AM

[quote]I would have shot them 15 times.

Come sit her next to me. Seriously, the cell on my left is empty.

by Anonymousreply 53October 4, 2024 10:45 AM

Do we think Erik and Lyle will fuck guys when they get out? Yes, I know they are married to women, but they both seem bisexual to me.

by Anonymousreply 54October 4, 2024 12:23 PM

They’re never fucking getting out.

by Anonymousreply 55October 4, 2024 12:38 PM

[quote]If they get a new trial, it will be because of Cooper Koch and Nicholas Alexander Chavez. Their portrayal of the brothers resonated with the public and made them human. Erik and Lyle should get on their knees and thank them.

BWAH HAHAHAHA HAAAAAA!!!

Good one R32!

*snort*

by Anonymousreply 56October 4, 2024 12:43 PM

[quote]no, they told Dr. Oziel they killed their mom because they felt sorry for her and because it would have been hard to get their father alone to kill him

R42 they slaughtered their parents. Do you really think lying would be hard for them to do?

by Anonymousreply 57October 4, 2024 12:46 PM

I’m getting confused by the miriad postings here (shocker).

I’m assuming there is little doubt that the brothers committed the murders, merely that the horrific extenuating circumstances should inspire the justice system to temper justice with mercy and let the brothers out of prison with time served.

by Anonymousreply 58October 4, 2024 12:58 PM

Will they become famous reality TV stars if they get out of prison?

by Anonymousreply 59October 4, 2024 2:12 PM

[quote]I’m assuming there is little doubt that the brothers committed the murders, merely that the horrific extenuating circumstances should inspire the justice system to temper justice with mercy and let the brothers out of prison with time served.

That’s a very stupid hill you choose to die on, R58.

They’re never fucking getting out.

by Anonymousreply 60October 4, 2024 2:39 PM

r48 you are wrong, r47 is correct. Do even just a little research, and you'll discover this.

by Anonymousreply 61October 4, 2024 2:43 PM

r60 "stupid hill you choose to die on"

You do not understand what this phrase means, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 62October 4, 2024 2:45 PM

[Quote]Do we think Erik and Lyle will fuck guys when they get out?

I think they'll fuck each other.

by Anonymousreply 63October 4, 2024 2:56 PM

If you were alive (and paying attention) when this was going on (as I was), you would know how full of shit their defense was. It was as transparent as O.J.'s.

If they were hideous looking, you guys wouldn't even GAF.

I am really curious to see what they look like now -- pics, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 64October 4, 2024 4:02 PM

R62/R58 you obviously don’t.

by Anonymousreply 65October 4, 2024 4:29 PM

R57, why lie in that case? When people commit murder and they confess, the murderers will always spin the situation to make themselves look sympathetic. If they killed because of abuse, they would have told Dr. Oziel that to look more sympathetic

by Anonymousreply 66October 4, 2024 5:21 PM

I hope they're released before awards season so Murphy and Co. can trot them out like a couple of show ponies.

by Anonymousreply 67October 4, 2024 5:52 PM

R58, what extenuating circumstances? The shit they made up? They were 18 and 21 and could have moved out of the house if they didn't like their situation. They were rich and had every advantage in life. Lyle got into Princeton because Daddy bribed the school.

by Anonymousreply 68October 4, 2024 6:02 PM

[quote]Will they become famous reality TV stars if they get out of prison?

That would absolutely happen.

I also want Betty Broderick released from prison so she can get her own reality show. It can be called "Betty Gets Her Way."

by Anonymousreply 69October 4, 2024 6:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!