Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Cheers” remake in the works!

It will be set in Britain this time, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2024 3:41 PM

Who's going to be black? Carla or Diane?

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2024 3:42 PM

No one asked for this.

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2024 3:42 PM

Are original sitcom ideas really that difficult to conjure up? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2024 3:48 PM

Yes, it’s a remake and set in Britain but it is a British remake. We aren’t making it, the Brits are. A British TV exec decided to remake the iconic series over 30 years since the original American version ended.

I’m shocked this show wasn’t made while ours was on air.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2024 3:48 PM

Each episode focuses everyone's love of jellied eels

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2024 3:54 PM

A British show based around a pub? Groundbreaking.

Next up: Spring Fashion Shows with Florals

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2024 3:57 PM

What's next? A British remake of Life with Lucy?

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2024 3:58 PM

Life with Lucy wasn’t a huge #1 series

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2024 4:01 PM

They wanted Lucy to play Carla but Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2024 4:02 PM

I guess I wonder why it would be made now.

At the peak of US making UK shows they were unknown to us and it made sense to rework them, but I have to imagine in this day and age a fair number of UK folks not only know of Cheers but have actually seen episodes. So the element of freshness and/or surprise is gone.

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2024 4:03 PM

[quote]Life with Lucy wasn’t a huge #1 series

And it didn't have Norm.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2024 4:03 PM

They did attempt a British remake of Wings back in 1997. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t try this earlier.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2024 4:05 PM

Plus their disastrous Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2024 4:08 PM

R10 what are you talking about? Cheers aired all over the world and was a huge hit in the UK

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2024 4:14 PM

R14 I didn't know that, but that was my point anyway - that most people in the UK would have known Cheers or seen it somehow by now.

by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2024 4:15 PM

There is an episode of Friends where they are in London and Joey turns on the TV and Cheers is on. This was because Cheers was constantly on reruns in the UK throughout the 90s because of how popular it was.

R15 you didn’t know that Cheers, a #1 show aired in other countries? Like Friends, The Cosby Show, Threes Company etc. they all were popular overseas also. Our tv shows weren’t exclusive to us. And some of our shows were remakes of British shows.

by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2024 4:19 PM

r16 Yes, I'm well aware many of our shows were remakes of British originals. That was my ENTIRE FUCKING POINT at R10. But in those days, US audiences wouldn't have seen the UK originals.

I didn't live in the UK so no, I had no idea to what exact extent they were shown there, but I assume most of the shows from the last 30-40 years were shown to some extent that they'd be familiar to UK audiences. Which, again, was my ENTIRE FUCKING POINT at R10 - that a Cheers remake now is confusing when the originals would be so familiar to UK audiences.

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2024 4:36 PM

I’m surprised — usually it’s artsy-fartsy BBC that comes up with ideas, and conveyor belt Hollywood gloms onto them.

Not the other way ‘round.

by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2024 4:50 PM

Will they all have big, buck teeth?

by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2024 4:52 PM

A bunch of friends hanging around a pub drinking is already the plot of about half the sitcoms made over the last 50 years over here. Only this one is a remake of a sitcom most people moved on from decades ago at a time when the pub trade is dying. Interesting choice.

by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2024 5:07 PM

Was it Friends that was a copy of Coupling or vice versa?

I know NBC eventually tried their own version of Coupling but it flopped.

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2024 5:09 PM

Emma Watson would make a suitable Diane

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2024 5:10 PM

In the '90s, the British successfully remade "Who's the Boss?" (1984-1992) as "The Upper Hand" (1990-1996).

I never heard of it until fairly recently, but it had a lengthy run over there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2024 5:14 PM

R21 - it was vice versa - Coupling came after.

People always compared the two but I found them to be uniquely different shows - just 3 young women and 3 young male friends. I really liked Coupling - particularly the Jane character.

The US version of Coupling was stupid - felt like it was fucked with too much and 'americanized' - but it watered it down.

One of my favorite shows.

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2024 5:19 PM

[quote] They did attempt a British remake of Wings back in 1997

But…why?

by Anonymousreply 25October 3, 2024 8:10 PM

It's been forty years. It's not like they're adapting Succession.

by Anonymousreply 26October 3, 2024 8:16 PM

I was molested at a bar in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 27October 3, 2024 10:19 PM

Will it be set in the Queen Vic?

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2024 3:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!