Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays what are some things you have given up due to health concerns?

Be honest!

by Anonymousreply 37October 4, 2024 12:09 PM

Riding a bicycle.

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2024 1:43 AM

All of the above actually, although steak or hamburger about once a month.

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2024 1:44 AM

Hiking mountains, my body rebels.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2024 1:58 AM

Pole Dancing

Twerking

Streaking

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2024 2:36 AM

I gave up smoking years ago because of concern it would cause premature aging of the face. I didn't care about the health reasons. Being fat of course would be the worst thing possible, appearance-wise, but looking old is second. However, though I keep myself from ever being fat, by eating responsibly, aging can't be so easily kept at bay.

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2024 2:54 AM

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2024 2:54 AM

Yard work.

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2024 2:59 AM

Bores

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2024 3:00 AM

I used to have a Bacon Egg & Cheese on a roll almost every day. Now it’s a rare indulgence a few times a year.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2024 3:16 AM

I gave up liquor years ago. But, I continued to drink wine until recently. It totally disrupts my sleep, so I had to give up the wine too.

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2024 3:24 AM

Chocolate, alcohol and chips. I only drank socially so not much of a drinker, I rarely ate chocolate, but I did indulge in chips. I have stage 2 chronic kidney disease. I was told it’s partially age related.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2024 3:33 AM

nothing - if i could afford it my life would be a nonstop wild drug binge.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2024 4:03 AM

Going forward, reading your threads.

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2024 4:26 AM

Have any of you given up being American? That’s bad for your health.

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2024 5:18 AM

ANYTHING high in sodium. I have been very sensitive to the sodium in my food since I was in my thirties.

by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2024 5:35 AM

R14 yeah i'm willing to please let me know when i can move in to your guest house

by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2024 5:48 AM

Riding a bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2024 6:44 AM

Tanning. Once I hit puberty my Irish genes kicked in. Also one can't quit hard drugs if they never touched them in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2024 7:22 AM

I hate that i have to watch sodium intake now. I've always been told I'm a good cook, but now when I invite people to dinner, I have to pass around a salt shaker. I do salt food, mostly with one of the lite-salt mixes (half potassium chloride and half sodium chloride), but I don't use too much even of that. Anyone who says that you lose your taste for salt over time is lying. All the herbs, spices, and lemon in the world don't bring food to life in the way that a little salt does. On the other hand, on those rare occasions when I'm out with friends in a normal restaurant, I'm really shocked at how salty the food that is served is. 1500 mg of salt is supposed to be the ideal daily limit for salt, with 2300 an upper limit. A single Big Mac has 950 mg all by itself. That and a helping of french fries, and a person will have used up an entire daily allowance for sodium. Add in some ketchup, and suddenly you're practically in heart attack territory.

by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2024 7:25 AM

The only thing I actively gave up: smoking when I was 50 (mid-60s now)

Marijuana I never liked ("Why are you all talking about me like that? Can't you see I'm right here?") Extasy/Molly is the only drug I like, but rarely). Meat I enjoy in moderation and small portions. I drink but only socially; otherwise I've not urge for it and have gone many months between drinks. Tanning I never liked and it never agreed with me.

In answer to R14, I did give up being an American which has certainly made me happier (and more secure in my access to healthcare.)

by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2024 7:43 AM

Not an eldergay, just common sense that smoking, tanning, poppers, binge drinking and lots of red meat simply won’t do you any good.

Your body isn’t some barrel where you can just keep throwing things in without any regard.

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2024 7:48 AM

R19 yes, I cannot eat fast food anymore, and if I di it is a rare indulgence, I stopped eating fries because they are shockingly salty.

Husband and I used to order with our eyes and always too much between soup, salad and appetizers when dining out. Now we tend to split an entree like the old people I used to hate when I was waiting tables!

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2024 8:08 AM

Talking about politics, but that's for my mental health.

by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2024 11:50 AM

tanning? you queens tan that much???

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2024 12:05 PM

None of the above. I never did the party drugs or used a tanning bed but I go outside and get sun, quit smoking ciggies because they were expensive forty years ago and three-plus-ways don’t happen because I’m married, not because I’m old.

As for the rest of the list, I’ve seen it all and my dear, I’m still here.

by Anonymousreply 25October 3, 2024 12:14 PM

Healthy old guys don't do anything on that list.

by Anonymousreply 26October 3, 2024 12:26 PM

Closing my mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 3, 2024 3:09 PM

[quote]Healthy old guys don't do anything on that list.

Healthy young guys don't do anything on that list.

by Anonymousreply 28October 3, 2024 4:01 PM

I've done 9 out of the 10 on that list in my youth, and have aged just well, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 29October 3, 2024 9:37 PM

healthy queens SERVE

by Anonymousreply 30October 3, 2024 9:39 PM

Everything in moderation.

by Anonymousreply 31October 3, 2024 9:50 PM

Fuck moderation. It's our excesses, our passions that often define us. Whether they define us in good or bad ways owes to the person (and to chance).

I sometimes wonder if in excess of 80% of DL are people who haven't left the house in 50 years without SPF and moisturizers. No sex, never touched drink or drugs or cigarettes or another man since Dynasty went off air...Mother won't allow it!

by Anonymousreply 32October 3, 2024 10:57 PM

R32 that's fine but won't go so well in elderyears. It's not prisspot to say one needs to adjust to some moderation after a certain age. hopefully after one has enjoyed wild times when one was fit to do so.

by Anonymousreply 33October 4, 2024 1:31 AM

I have an aunt who was widowed in her mid-seventies after fifty years married to an occasionally violent alcoholic and raising their seven children - she never stopped loving him, as she told me once when I asked her why she stayed.

At my uncle’s wake she told me that from that point on she was done with looking after anybody but herself, and she was going to spend mornings in bed, reading and eating chocolate. Then afternoons and evenings on the couch, reading and drinking gin. If people want to see her they can come to her, and they do. And she’s done just that.

She’s 92 now, still going strong and having a lovely time. “Moderation” isn’t in her vocabulary.

by Anonymousreply 34October 4, 2024 1:58 AM

Nearly all the items in your questionnaire.

But I still have lust in my heart.

by Anonymousreply 35October 4, 2024 2:06 AM

R35 is Jimmy Carter

by Anonymousreply 36October 4, 2024 11:43 AM

Red meat, fast food, smoking, distilled alcohol, spicy foods, sweets like cakes, pies, etc.

by Anonymousreply 37October 4, 2024 12:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!