Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anaconda (1997)

Spooky season is finally here! It is time to pull out the scary and not-so-scary horror films of yesteryear. I thought I would get the ball rolling with this late 1990's cult classic, Anaconda. A film so bad it is good.

As a small film crew is shooting a documentary on a long-lost indigenous Amazonian tribe, they pick up a unique snake hunter who has a personal vendetta against a legendary giant anaconda.

Jennifer Lopez, Jon Voight, Ice-T, Jonathan Hyde, Owen Wilson, Kari Wuhrer, Vincent Castellanos, Danny Trejo, and Eric Stoltz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2024 7:29 PM

I never understood why Jonathan Hyde, a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company who appeared in things like Shadow of the Noose and Being Human, agreed to do this movie.

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2024 11:36 PM

Actually this is a legitimately fun and well-made creature feature, although that will inevitably mean that some elements of it are, as OP says, bad.

It makes anacondas evil monsters in the same way Jaws did for great white sharks, but there doesn’t seem to have been any anti-anaconda backlash. Anacondas are not evil monsters. They’re just a throwback to an age when larger prey was common in South America. That prey is fine but the anaconda is still around, hanging on, because they can get by on the smaller animals remaining in South America.

Jenifer Lopez is very good in this, but it’s Voight’s movie. He’s fantastic in it. (Yes I hate him too but let’s give credit where credit is due.)

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2024 11:44 PM

^^^ that prey is gone

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2024 11:45 PM

Fuck right off with that "spooky season" shit. You sound like a mug-cradling frau excited to hit Michael's to buy more shit you'll never DIY

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2024 11:51 PM

They filmed a scene in the UCLA Botanical Garden. Watched while the most bellissimo student dentist was filling my tooth at Dental School across the street. BTW he rubbed it against my face I could tell Brandon had a big anaconda.

by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2024 11:56 PM

As I recall, poor JLo had to fuck every guy there.

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2024 12:18 AM

R6: animatronic snake

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2024 4:27 PM

Anaconda is going to be remade with Jack Black and Paul Rudd starring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2024 4:31 PM

btw, it was Ice Cube, not t.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2024 5:17 PM

I love that preposterous scene where the snake throws up half-digested Jon Voight and he fucking winks at J.Lo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2024 5:43 PM

I sawr this at a RiffTrax screening.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2024 6:20 PM

[Quote] Anaconda is going to be remade

Um

[Quote]a new Anaconda movie that would not be a remake of the 1997 original.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2024 7:04 PM

Kari Wuhrer.

There's a name I haven't heard in ages.

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2024 7:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!