Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Maggie Smith And Michael Caine In California Suite (1978)

They were by far the best segment in this movie. I saw this movie in the theatre in early 1979 when I was 13. I was far too young to appreciate it then but I appreciate their dialogue now. She was wonderful in this movie and it's so ironic she was playing an actress who desperately wants to win the Oscar and is bitterly disappointed when she loses but in real life she actually won the Academy Award for best supporting actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 4, 2024 12:46 AM

I remember seeing this move in the theater when I was in high school. Turns out Michael Caine's character was gay and in a marriage of convenience with Maggie's character.

I also remember being surprised that Maggie Smith got an Oscar for this role, when it clearly was one of her least memorable.

Methinks the Academy wanted to do a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" that year. "Hey! We'll give Maggie the Oscar for this silly role about an actress who can't believe she got an Oscar nomination for a silly role! Ain't it comically ironic?"

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2024 8:48 PM

I think it's because the other three segments were simply awful. These two saved the movie. My favorite bit of trivia is that Smith and Caine attended the previous year's ceremony together so that shots of Sidney and Diana at the Oscars could be incorporated into CS.

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2024 8:52 PM

R2- That's interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2024 8:53 PM

I just remember this film opening to terrible reviews. I’ve never even seen it - or maybe I did on cable. And it was terrible.

And she won the Oscar. I’m sure she thought that was a big joke.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2024 9:36 PM

R4- I recently read the original December 1978 NYT review and overall they liked the movie. Not a surprise they loved the Maggie Smith/Michael Caine story best and then the Jane Fonda/Alan Alda story. The other two not much especially the black couples. I agree with their review except I thought the Walter Matthau/Elaine May story was sitcom crap and the black couples story was average.

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2024 12:52 AM

I’m guessing Maureen Stapleton came close to beating Smith for the Oscar. But it may have boiled down more voters seeing CS vs. Interiors, and how respected Smith was as a British actress that gave her the edge. Dyan Cannon won the supporting actress globe, but she’s done better films than Heaven Can Wait, so a distant third.

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2024 1:08 AM

She won because it was an excellent comedic performance, and Hollywood—being Hollywood—thought that she was playing against type. As far as the industry cared at the time, she was a Thespian!…even if her actual talent went beyond mere drama.

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2024 1:32 AM

Eggs Benedict please.

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2024 4:46 AM

It was the voters appreciating a lavender marriage.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2024 5:15 AM

I knew someone who directed a stage performance of the Caine and Smith scenes. I could practically recite the lines myself I knew the film so well. Naturally his actors were not as good as Michael and Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2024 6:29 AM

I asked for a simple rinse and the ditzy queen’s given me CRAYON!

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2024 11:17 AM

How spreadably cozy.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2024 11:18 AM

"Tell me - did he happen to carve his phone number in the butter patty for you?"

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2024 11:28 AM

SUCH a delight

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2024 11:38 AM

I also saw this as a kid, on HBO, and thought it was okay but not great. But then in general, I didn't get the supposed brilliance of Neil Simon.

But yes, Maggie and Michael's scenes were by far the best.

by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2024 11:42 AM

Simon reportedly wrote the segment when he saw Maggie Smith lose the Oscar to Liza Minnelli. Pauline Kael, never a fan of Simon, noted that we were denied seeing Diana lose and that's the catalyst of the entire story.

by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2024 5:03 PM

She wasn’t there the night Lisha won.

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2024 5:08 PM

Maggie was in England working, and didn't even think she stood a chance in winning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2024 5:16 PM

Here’s Maggie presenting John Mills’ Oscar, the year after she won. She was performing next door at the Ahmanson, and they had her present the first award of the night rather than Best Actor so she could make her curtain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2024 5:28 PM

I love that they filmed the oscar scenes at the actual oscars, instead of doing a mockup of it for the movie.

They presented that night as well on the actual show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2024 5:36 PM

In Maggie’s day—these video clips—the Oscars were always at the Dorothy Chandler and always on a Monday night.

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2024 5:42 PM

Is it streaming anywhere? I remember this movie as a kid but never watched it.

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2024 5:44 PM

Just tell me who won the award, you A-H!

by Anonymousreply 23October 4, 2024 12:41 AM

I find Diana's discreet line quite shocking for Neil Simon.

Discreet?! You did everything but lick his artichoke!

by Anonymousreply 24October 4, 2024 12:44 AM

R11 the funniest part of that scene is how Diana looks in the mirror and asks -

What is wrong with my hair?!

by Anonymousreply 25October 4, 2024 12:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!