Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Just Spent $30 on Two Cosmos At Dive Bar "The Fourth Wall" in Boston

Probably NOT jealous, bitches?

I accept this price point (or much higher) for drinks when I am sitting up at the rooftop bar at The Erwin in Venice Beach overlooking the gorgeous Pacific ocean, surrounded by palm trees, feeling a warm breeze on my cheeck, and I can count multiple literal Hollywood stars sitting five feet away from me shmoozing. But "The Fourth Wall" is a dark hole, with Christmas lights strung up lazily and paneling reminiscent of a Mike Brady 70s sex dungeon. $15 dollar well drinks to sit at a crowded bar listening to rap music.

Does its proximity to the Commons and to theaters really legitimize this price point?

Are you all paying this much regularly for your drinks?

by Anonymousreply 34October 4, 2024 11:55 AM

Was Greg there?

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2024 8:32 PM

I am outraged on your behalf!

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2024 8:34 PM

For NYC that’s dirt cheap.

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2024 8:45 PM

That's not a real dive bar OP, it's a faux dive bar with fancy gastropub food and faux grunge. Like something Disney would dream up. So yes, quite normal pricing.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2024 8:47 PM

I paid $15 for a Manhattan at a theatre lobby bar on Saturday. (Major US city.) I thought that was way too much.

by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2024 9:05 PM

It’s The Common, not The Commons.

by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2024 9:10 PM

It's a common mistake, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2024 9:17 PM

Cosmo's are a girly drink and far too sugary. I drink wine and pay around 15 to $20 per glass at a bar or restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2024 9:20 PM

Rapacious landlords probably keep upping their rent. You would be shocked at how much some of these retail establishments have to pay.

Robbery.

by Anonymousreply 9October 2, 2024 9:25 PM

I paid about $18 for a Lemon Drop at a DC "nice" chain restaurant/grill (similar maybe to the Chophouse chain.) And this was at a location in suburban Northern VA. Ridiculous and never again.

by Anonymousreply 10October 2, 2024 9:26 PM

Former bar / restaurant worker here.

You guys need to stop ordering cosmos and lemon drops.

Order a double vodka on the rocks and call it a day. It will be cheaper.

Alcohol is where restaurants make their money. For $30, you can buy a liter of vodka.

by Anonymousreply 11October 2, 2024 9:39 PM

R11 - thanks for chiming in Captain Obvious. But even a double vodka may set you back $12. We all know restaurants make their money in alcohol - but these are outrageous prices for barely mid-level establishments.

by Anonymousreply 12October 2, 2024 10:28 PM

That sounds standard for a dive bar (which would also serve a cosmos) in a major American city OP. You don't get out much do you? Also standard to CHEAP for a middle class restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 13October 2, 2024 10:33 PM

Such cocktails at a stupid hip/dive bar in Geneva Switzerland are 20 USD equivalent. I noticed touring USA this summer that America has caught up to Europe in pricing. I was kind of shocked.

by Anonymousreply 14October 2, 2024 10:38 PM

Pay minimum 17 in NyC for a proper cocktail. Up to 23 at some joints. Or more for fancy, smoke, special ingredients

It’s BS but you get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 15October 2, 2024 10:42 PM

Throw in a $25 pack of smokes….

by Anonymousreply 16October 2, 2024 10:44 PM

I'm to cheap to get used to a $23 cocktail.

The only time I paid for something like that and didn't mind was when I was at a resort with a friend I hadn't seen in a very long time. We had those drinks that come in coconut shells. I forgot how much the drinks were, but I was OK with paying for it.

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2024 2:09 AM

Any cock pics OP?

by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2024 2:11 AM

OP It's PRICE. Price. Don't say "price point".

by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2024 2:50 AM

I have paid as much as 24 dollars and more fancy places in LA. Gone are the days when you could get a cocktail in a gay bar for 5 bucks. Once the breeders invaded them and found out how cheap it was to drink in gay bars the owners wised up and started charging just as much as the straight clubs on Sunset. They tripled overnight to 15, now they are up to about 20 -25.

by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2024 7:05 AM

Cosmos use almost, likely more if this bar pours like most, two shots of liquor, require more than effort than a simple highball, and a special glass. $15 frankly seems somewhat cheap.

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2024 7:15 AM

Just order a soft drink then go home and get your booze on. It’s crazy to pay that much for one drink.

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2024 7:35 AM

I miss the old, seedy bars in Boston. I’m dating myself, but remember places I haunted like Haymarket, Sporter’s, Napoleon’s, Bobby’s, 1270, the Eagle, Mario’s Luxor. Then there were rural places like Fran’s, Fantasies, and Randolph Country Club, where you could pop out of city for.

Boston was absolutely TEEMING with cheap gay bars back then that celebrated cheap alcohol!

by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2024 8:16 AM

I bought a Shirley Temple and a Martini at the resort bar in Whistler last summer during my cousin's wedding. $22. IMO that's highway robbery.

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2024 9:22 AM

R23 you are bringing back some misty watercolor memories from when I was a newly hatched gayling in 1990! Also Paradise in Cambridge, down Albany St where MIT meets warehouses. Drinks in that place were cheap and strong.

I can still recall the carpeting on that trippy staircase leading up to Napoleon’s. And watching older queens belt out Hello Dolly and Don’t Rain On My Parade, and realizing at 21 that I don’t know anything about this culture but hey, at least they all think I’m cute.

by Anonymousreply 25October 3, 2024 9:35 AM

It's..."The Common" or Boston Common.

NOT "Commons"

by Anonymousreply 26October 3, 2024 9:51 AM

I bought TWO BEERS at Madison Square Garden this week. Including tax and tip it was $47. I was aghast.

by Anonymousreply 27October 3, 2024 12:56 PM

You could walk a couple of blocks to Chinatown and do a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 28October 3, 2024 2:21 PM

When I was a kid and JFK was President we used to go to South America for my Dad’s work. Usually we’d fly one way and take a ship home. I was too young to drink but my parents thought 50 cents for a drink, granted one made with top shelf (and duty-free) booze on the ship was great when the same drink at home was a dollar or even a buck and a quarter. The Grace Line wasn’t trying to pay for the [italic] Santa Paula[/italic] with the money they made in the bar onboard.

We were on the Queen Mary this summer. Well drinks for $15 and I didn’t think it was a ripoff. That’s what they cost now.

OP: you should have gone two doors down to the Tam. A bit cheaper and a lot skeevier. The Tam’s a dive bar. They used to open at 7 am so you could top up after you got off the train but before you got to the office. They may still: I don’t work downtown anymore.

by Anonymousreply 29October 3, 2024 3:12 PM

[quote]We were on the Queen Mary this summer.

Are you sure it wasn't the Titanic given your age R29?

by Anonymousreply 30October 3, 2024 4:22 PM

R25, there were sone swarthy hustlers upstairs at Napoleon’s trolling the old men upstairs!

I took a beautiful Puerto Rican hone once as a young gayling but ghosted him because he was way too big, and I didn’t want a blown out hole at 20.

by Anonymousreply 31October 4, 2024 8:49 AM

Did you go home and cry while re-watching your scratched up DVD's of SATC, OP?

by Anonymousreply 32October 4, 2024 9:42 AM

R19, I love you. "Price point" needs to go in the Phrases You Hate thread. Headed over there right now.

by Anonymousreply 33October 4, 2024 10:30 AM

The real shame here is a grown ass man drinking Cosmos. You're not Carrie Bradshaw.

by Anonymousreply 34October 4, 2024 11:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!