Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Small Town Gay Bars

Do they still exist, and for the small-town dwellers, are there any near you?

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2024 1:24 AM

All bars have either closed or pandered to the TQWXYZ+

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2024 6:09 PM

I reme on outside of Gaithersburg, Maryland. The cops were always in the parking lot because so many patrons were having sex in their cars or behind trees. Can’t remember the name of the place. This was in the late nineties. My friends at the time were a couple who lived in Gaithersburg and one hated the DC scene so we decided to give this place a try. Two hours of my life that I’ll never get back.

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2024 6:14 PM

My closest gay bar is about 30 miles away…

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2024 6:43 PM

There was a bar called Someplace Else in Evansville, IN but I think it closed and as far as I know, it was the only one in a 50-mile area.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2024 6:50 PM

R4, I remember thinking to try that place out once when I was there for work. Instead I found a young gentleman caller on an app and never thought to go again!

by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2024 8:34 PM

When I left my small FL beach town for big bad El Lay in 1985 there were two big gay discos and three smaller bars within a 25 mile radius. When I came back to retire in 2020 there were zero. I asked my gay nephew what bar he went to? He replied "Grindr Bar". Sad.

by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2024 8:59 PM

That’s probably the only one left, ArkansasGay. Eureka Springs doesn’t even have a proper gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2024 9:08 PM

God Bless the small town gay bar. Despite the cops and the fire bombs I found my tribe there. It literally saved my life. It gave me my first love. It gave me pride. It made me at 18yo feel not a freak but a desireable man. Just a diffrent type of man. I was not alone. I truly feel sorry for small town young gaylings today. Their isolation must be awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2024 9:16 PM

I live in western Kentucky which is pretty much nothing but small towns, so Someplace Else was kind of all we had/have.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2024 12:50 AM

^^^

Ever thought of raising sheep?

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2024 1:14 AM

I'm the only gay in the village, so it would just be for me alone if there were one.

*sigh*

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2024 1:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!