Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Badenoch says 10% of civil servants are ‘very bad’ and jokes they are ‘should be in prison bad’ – as it happened

Badenoch says up to 10% of civil servants 'very, very bad', adding jokingly they're 'should be in prison bad'

During the Q&A at the Spectator Kemi Badenoch was asked if she approved of term limits for civil servants, an idea proposed by Vivek Ramaswamy when he was running to be the Republican candidate for president in the US.

Badenoch replied:

I don’t want people to get me wrong – I think that civil servants are like everybody else. They come in to do a job, and I’d say about 10% of them are absolutely magnificent.

And the trick to being a good minister is to find the good ones quickly, keep them close and try and get the bad ones out of your department.

There’s about 5 to 10% of them who are very, very bad – you know, should be in prison bad – leaking official secrets, undermining their ministers, agitating - I have some of it in my department – usually union led.

But most of them actually want to do a good job. And the good ones are very frustrated by the bad ones.

The audience laughed when Badenoch used the “should be in prison bad” line, so she was not being 100% serious at this point. But she may not have been entirely frivolous either, and the comments are likely to reignite her feud with the civil service.

As Pippa Crerar reported in a Guardian exclusive in July, Badenoch had a difficult relationship with officials in her department when she was business secretary because some of them thought she was a bully. Pippa wrote:

Kemi Badenoch, the frontrunner to be the next Conservative party leader, has been accused of creating an intimidating atmosphere in the government department she used to run, with some colleagues describing it as toxic, the Guardian can reveal. At least three officials found her behaviour so traumatising that they felt they had no other choice but to leave, sources claimed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2024 11:11 AM

Periodontist stat!

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2024 11:01 AM

She’s a fucking cunt. An Auntie Tom for the Tories

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2024 11:09 AM

Those are some prison teefs

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2024 11:10 AM

Gross person

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2024 11:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!