Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A friend of mine was murdered

And I found out 5 hours before the news of my friend Gavin Creel dying. It was a horrible morning. I’ve never known someone who was murdered before. He was 69. It was gruesome. It’s hard to process. They have a person of interest but I don’t care about him. I’m just upset my friend’s life ended like that.

by Anonymousreply 46October 4, 2024 5:18 AM

Can I have his stuff, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2024 9:40 AM

Link, please.

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2024 9:41 AM

Sir, this is a Wendy’s.

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2024 9:49 AM

Condolences OP. You care to share any details? I know you may still be grieving but please post links once the press reports it.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2024 9:51 AM

That’s horrible, OP. I’m sorry.

by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2024 9:57 AM

This isn't that poor doctor in Louisiana who they think was murdered by a Tiktok personality, is it?

by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2024 9:57 AM

That’s a double whammy. Processing murder is hard. Concentrate on the love you have for your friend. Try not to dwell on the circumstances. Don’t let that define how you remember them.

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2024 9:58 AM

The therapist in Baton Rouge?

Very sorry for your loss, and his suffering.

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2024 10:01 AM

I'm so sorry OP. If this is they guy, he sounds like a wonderful person who changed many lives. I'm posting about this guy not to violate his privacy, but to honour him and the service he did for us. May his memory be a blessing. :

[italic]William Nicholas Abraham, M.Div, Ph.D, or “Dr. Nick”, is a life coach, licensed professional counselor, motivational speaker, recording artist, author, teacher and trailblazer. With more than 30 years experience in treating substance abuse, depression and anxiety, he provides counseling, psychotherapy, guidance and psycho-education to couples, individuals, adolescents and families in the Baton Rouge and surrounding areas. He also offers group counseling and presentations. He treats a wide range of clients, including those suffering from PTSD, depression, relational conflicts. He also works with helping the LGBTQ population work through identity issues, acceptance and family struggles.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 2, 2024 10:06 AM

I'm sorry, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10October 2, 2024 10:19 AM

That's terrible, OP. I'm sorry for your loss.

(You know some DLers are kinda sadistic so please don't take any negative responses to heart.)

by Anonymousreply 11October 2, 2024 10:21 AM

Details?

by Anonymousreply 12October 2, 2024 10:42 AM

So sorry for your loss

by Anonymousreply 13October 2, 2024 11:03 AM

Someone I know took his own life and I'm still not over it ... Can't process it

by Anonymousreply 14October 2, 2024 11:04 AM

Oof. I'm so sorry, r14. That sounds incomprehensibly rough.

by Anonymousreply 15October 2, 2024 11:13 AM

OP, this is terrible, terrible news and I’m very sorry you’re having to go through this. I hope you find a way to process this shock as well as remember your friend in a way that brings light back into your life. Sending a tight hug.

by Anonymousreply 16October 2, 2024 11:53 AM

Oh, R1, that’s so witty! Truly. Take your seat at the Algonquin round table!

by Anonymousreply 17October 2, 2024 12:32 PM

I'm really sorry, OP. You might consider counseling, because this is just the sort of event that causes trauma and you will need to process it.

All the best to you, sincerely.

by Anonymousreply 18October 2, 2024 12:37 PM

R16 is right. You'll drive yourself crazy if you focus on the murder. Remember your friend for all they contributed to your life and how lucky you were to have all the good memories.

by Anonymousreply 19October 2, 2024 12:45 PM

My son was murdered about 2 years ago when he was 22. It really is almost impossible to comprehend and I still find myself sometimes wondering if it is really true.

Unless you feel you need to go, stay away from the justice system and any trials, etc. They just make you re-live everything and learn details, see pictures and videos, etc that are hard to get over.

I went to a support group which helped.

I am so sorry for your loss.

by Anonymousreply 20October 2, 2024 1:48 PM

Very sad, OP.

A childhood friend was murdered years ago. We hadn't kept in touch, but it shook me deeply.

by Anonymousreply 21October 2, 2024 2:09 PM

Years ago I read an article in which a member of a group called Parents of Murdered Children said something that has stayed with me, OP.

They said, no matter how awful your child’s death was, it only happened to them once. For you, it will happen over and over again. Christmases, birthdays, over and over.

That knowledge helped those parents. Maybe it can help you get ready for when the memories of your friend come in the future. It only happened once and I’m really sorry you lost your friend.

by Anonymousreply 22October 2, 2024 2:19 PM

My best friend was murdered in Stuytown - an otherwise bucolic place for NYC - in 1989. His partner was in Germany and couldn't get him on the phone. He called me and asked if I'd spoken to him recently. Turns out I had and that I was the last person he'd spoken to. He arranged to have someone from the complex do a welfare check on him. They went to the apartment and found his body, dead from stab wounds. As the bf was flying home, I got a call from an NYPD detective he'd spoken to who asked me if my friend had mentioned anyone else who'd been there or that he'd seen recently. He did, the ex-bf of a colleague who apparently had a drug problem. That was all they needed: the cops saw him on 2nd Avenue the next day and when they pursued him he ran into the street and was hit and killed by a bus. It was him: they had bloody fingerprints at the crime scene. Two lives ended way too soon because the junkie tried to steal a VCR which, ironically, didn't rewind.

To make that October worse, the night I got home from my friend's funeral, I got a call from my ex's bf who told me my ex died of HIV that morning. Two people who once meant the world to me dead and buried inside of a week.

You don't get over it, OP. You go back to your life but you mourn their loss and yours. It was 35 years this month - half my life - and I still think of both of them every damn day. I don't believe in heaven but wish I could because I'd give anything to see them again.

by Anonymousreply 23October 2, 2024 2:24 PM

R23 MARY!

(That was a loving and empathetic MARY! A hug for you.)

by Anonymousreply 24October 2, 2024 2:27 PM

Do they suspect you yet, OP?

by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2024 3:35 PM

Geez, R20, go start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.

by Anonymousreply 26October 3, 2024 2:06 AM

OP, I hope when you are over the shock, his memory will be a blessing to you.

I am sorry for your loss.

by Anonymousreply 27October 3, 2024 2:17 AM

Thoughts? Pray!

by Anonymousreply 28October 3, 2024 2:24 AM

R27 he’s not Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 29October 3, 2024 2:25 AM

0/10. The Gavin Creel detail was unnecessary and far fetched.

by Anonymousreply 30October 3, 2024 2:31 AM

R23 MUST you make everything about YOU, FFS? What is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 31October 3, 2024 2:37 AM

What’s it to you that r23 shared a story, Angry Mary.

by Anonymousreply 32October 3, 2024 3:37 AM

That is horrifying, OP. I hope the cops catch the human shitstain that did it.

A man attempted to murder the woman and her son who lived across the hall from me last year by stabbing them. He was her husband of six months! There was blood on the hall carpet and my doormat was disposed of by the cops even though I never saw whether it was bloody or not. It took police and hour and a half to search for evidence they took away in two small paper bags.

A six year old family member saw the whole thing. Social services moved the family so the boy wouldn't be tramatized by the memories.

All I could ask was why?

by Anonymousreply 33October 3, 2024 5:08 AM

Hang in there OP!

by Anonymousreply 34October 3, 2024 9:55 PM

OP, as is apparent by many of the heartfelt posts above, Consider yourself sincerely condoled for your losses.

Now, it has to asked in true DL tradition, was it a hookup gone wrong?

by Anonymousreply 35October 3, 2024 10:51 PM

r23 just because you don't believe in heaven doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You will see them both again and they are both around you here sometimes even though you don't know it because you aren't open to it.

by Anonymousreply 36October 3, 2024 11:00 PM

Man, sorry to hear all of this. I can't imagine what it'd be like to lose someone to murder.

by Anonymousreply 37October 3, 2024 11:25 PM

R31 Don't be an ass. Sharing a personal story that was relevant and equally traumatic to the poster is how they can empathize and heal.

by Anonymousreply 38October 4, 2024 12:23 AM

R20 Oh my gosh, I can’t imagine what that has been like for you. I’m glad you’ve found people to be with through the trauma and I’m so sorry you lost your son. Just so sad.

by Anonymousreply 39October 4, 2024 2:54 AM

“How did you come to accept Jesus, and admit heaven exists?” “Well, I’d always been doubtful, even after my bf was murdered. But that all changed thanks to my Bible, the Book of Datalounge, chapter 36, verse 23. I also learned that ghosts surround me every moment if my life.”

by Anonymousreply 40October 4, 2024 3:11 AM

R30 - I'm not Jewish and I use that phrase when I need to. It's a nice sentiment.

by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2024 3:18 AM

Older gay men get killed by younger men a lot, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 42October 4, 2024 3:27 AM

What does Gavin Creel have to do with anything? Was he murdered? Did he murder your friend? Was your friend dating Gavin? A 69?

I'm so confused.

by Anonymousreply 43October 4, 2024 3:31 AM

R32 "Angry Mary"? How old ARE you? That's BOYS IN THE BAND era bitchiness.

by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2024 3:53 AM

Just terrible, OP. I’ve found we all learn to live with these things. Over the years, there have been a lot of posts on DL regarding grieving. You get the sympathy and the snark. I’m always impressed when subjects like this come up on DL.

I’m four months back in therapy after a ten year lapse. Never be afraid to seek help.

by Anonymousreply 45October 4, 2024 5:11 AM

[quote] Geez, [R20], go start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.

Oh, shut up. That story was on point (relevant), succinct, and helpful.

by Anonymousreply 46October 4, 2024 5:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!