Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DMV knowledge test no longer required for California drivers 70 and older

In a major move for older drivers, those who are age 70 and beyond will no longer be required to take a knowledge test to renew their licenses, the California Department of Motor Vehicles announced on Monday, Sept. 30.

“We are eliminating the written knowledge test for those without traffic violations on their record to improve customer service,” Gordon said in a statement. “If thousands fewer people need to visit the DMV, or can spend less time in an office, the people who need to take care of their business in one of our offices can be better served.”

An office visit is still required for a vision exam and an updated photo for those 70 and older who are renewing a driver’s license.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2024 4:42 AM

To Live & Die In LA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2024 2:02 AM

just 15 more years

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2024 2:05 AM

Everyone should be required to pass a knowledge and driving test when they obtain and renew their licence. Every. Five. YEARS!

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2024 2:26 AM

Not a good idea. My 80 year old mother from Chicago had to take the CA test 3x because she refused to believe my sister and me telling her that when you park on a hill, you turn your front wheels so they rest on the curb. Down the hill, turn right,; up the hill, to the left.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2024 2:27 AM

r1 I loved that song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2024 2:28 AM

Our future

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2024 3:49 AM

My elderly mother had to renew her license.

CA offers a combined instruction video with questions at the end to test knowledge.

I cannot believe that they consider that too onerous.

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2024 4:07 AM

It's generally considered, all things being equal, people can drive until 80.

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2024 4:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!