Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

other hard of hearing dlers - do you feel discriminated against?

I'm getting exhausted of people's shitty attitudes over my bad hearing. I'm young and don't wear hearing aides because I can't afford a doctor and I'd fight paramedics off to avoid one. I know it's a bunch of geezers here so I'm curious what expereinces others have had with poor hearing. I usually feel too embarrassed to say anything about my hearing and just start apologizing profusely if I can tell someone is annoyed I didn't hear them or respond quickly. When I worked in a restaurant years ago my manager flipped out on me and accused me of faking it because I just wanna be lazy and don't wanna pay attention and threw a couple of paint buckets we stored lettuce in at my head. That was the worst case. I'm upset today because a new hire at a store I've been patronizing several times a week for years started off really hostile with me because she was clearly so annoyed I didn't hear her trying to get my attention for a minute. She was rolling her eyes to the constellations and wrapping her knuckles on the desk, wouldn't look at me and didn't respond when I said I'm so sorry. I'm just sick of this what the fuck can you do to not be treated like shit? Do other hearing challenged DLers have similar experiences?

by Anonymousreply 30October 2, 2024 3:56 PM

What?

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2024 11:39 PM

He didn’t say “hard of comprehending,” r1.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2024 11:45 PM

No one does, R2. Bit of a stretch, but here's a participation prize.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2024 11:48 PM

R2 i ww'd them and i'm ffing you bitch. twist

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2024 11:49 PM

I can’t hear you!

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2024 11:52 PM

You don’t need a doctor to get a hearing aid. Who told you that?—you heard wrong.

by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2024 12:09 AM

[quote] I know it's a bunch of geezers here

You really know how to turn on the charm OP.

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2024 12:20 AM

Don't compound your problems by not getting hearing aids. Deaf people not using them experience cognitive decline.

Or maybe you're just playing with all of us because you know, you're a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2024 12:24 AM

R6 ok well to be more precise i don't need a hearing aid. i just need general medical attention which is unavailable to me. i'm homeless and have no education btw.

by Anonymousreply 9October 2, 2024 12:24 AM

R8 a sociopath? wtf that actually hurts my feelings. why would you accuse me of that of all things

by Anonymousreply 10October 2, 2024 12:25 AM

0/10

by Anonymousreply 11October 2, 2024 12:25 AM

Audien Hearing Atom One OTC In-The-Ear Hearing Aid, Beige Earpiece, 7 oz for $98

People will just think you are wearing an earbud.

DL wouldn't let me provide the link

by Anonymousreply 12October 2, 2024 12:25 AM

R8 i'm really scared about cognitive decline. because of my serious untreated dental problems every day i'm worried about a brain infection killing me. i noticed that lately i repeat the same words or phrases when writing in a way i never would have 3-4 years ago. i also have regressed to childlike mispronunciations of vowels sometimes. Like an R sounding like a W.

by Anonymousreply 13October 2, 2024 12:28 AM

R13 and r isn't even a vowel so there's more evidence

by Anonymousreply 14October 2, 2024 12:28 AM

Keep it coming, bitches. This is why I love DL.

by Anonymousreply 15October 2, 2024 12:31 AM

...and the plot thickens...

Pray tell, OP, on what device are you viewing and posting on DL?

Inquiring minds want to know.

by Anonymousreply 16October 2, 2024 12:31 AM

R15 i'm not going to participate in my own bullying. fuck you

by Anonymousreply 17October 2, 2024 12:33 AM

I have one of the best ww to comment ratios in all of DL btw

by Anonymousreply 18October 2, 2024 12:33 AM

[quote]I'm getting exhausted of people's shitty attitudes over my bad hearing.

People's understandable attitude has to do with someone irresponsibly not getting a hearing aid.

by Anonymousreply 19October 2, 2024 12:48 AM

OP, that's just how some women feeling stuck in a service role, particularly urban and youthful women, behave, which is understandable because of the historical inequity that led to that moment of reaction.

Don't take it personally. Just say, "I feel you salty. Papa's ears are whack. So jus' hang loose and cut me some slack, and no flack. Now you have a blessed.

by Anonymousreply 20October 2, 2024 12:48 AM

R19 I could easily beat the shit out of you motherfucker

by Anonymousreply 21October 2, 2024 12:49 AM

R21 and i would, I’d smack you straighter than tim scott

by Anonymousreply 22October 2, 2024 12:50 AM

Go full passive aggressive.

Say: "Sorry. I had a severe case of chicken pox (or meningitis) as a child and now have significant hearing loss." Then add, "my brother (or sister) died from it. It was pretty traumatic for me and my family so we rarely talk about it. But, if it helps you have a shred of compassion, I'm happy to share my private medical information with you, so the next time you run into someone with a medical condition, you think twice about what you say and how you treat them."

by Anonymousreply 23October 2, 2024 12:56 AM

OP type louder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 2, 2024 1:00 AM

R24 COMRADE KAMALA and the RADICAL DEMOCRAT party have engaged in UNCONSTITUTIONAL AND ILLEGAL DISCRIMINATION AGAINST ME ON THE BASIS OF HEARING DIFFICULTY. MILLIONS OF CRIMINAL MIGRANTS are INVADING our Beautiful but MAYBE NOT SO BEAUTIFUL now country thanks to her RADICAL ANTI AMERICAN POLICIES and they’re grabbing deaf people and slitting their throats they’re using weapons EVEN MORE POWERFUL THAN our military is capable of, because it’s a WOKE military now under sleepy CROOKED BIDEN. THANK YOU

by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2024 1:04 AM

Assuming you're not BSing about the homeless/low education angle OP, Medicaid can help you. Gay and lesbian friendly churches can help you.

Offer to do some chores for an audiologist in exchange for evaluation. Carve an ear horn with a shoplifted Swiss Army knife from a tree branch you found next to the Walmart or the Target or Aldi's or whichever U.S. based big box store you beg at.

by Anonymousreply 26October 2, 2024 1:17 AM

R26 i kinda just wanted to hear other people crank not go over my financial and health problems

by Anonymousreply 27October 2, 2024 1:30 AM

I have a friend who has been suffering hearing decline for the last two years and it’s fucking exhausting. He constantly says ‘What?’ at you every time you talk to him and then accuses people of being ‘low talkers’ if they don’t yell every conversation.

He was against getting hearing aids until he realized that all of his friends stopped hanging out with him because we had had sufficient. He got hearing aids last month and now tells us all we should have made him do it sooner.

by Anonymousreply 28October 2, 2024 1:39 AM

OP "exhausted of"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 29October 2, 2024 1:41 AM

R27 Then why did you mention them? No one else did.

by Anonymousreply 30October 2, 2024 3:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!