Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Underrated Democratic politicians

Gavin Newsom, AOC, Jasmine Crockett, Gretchen Whitmer, Mayor Pete, Andy Beshear etc have received a lot of attention in the past year or so.

Are there any lesser known Dems who are gems that most people don't know about?

by Anonymousreply 30October 4, 2024 4:53 PM

Lauren Underwood owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2024 11:07 PM

Tim Walz. Before this election cycle he was on nobody’s radar.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2024 11:08 PM

Sheldon Whitehouse.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2024 11:13 PM

AOC underrated?

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2024 11:32 PM

R4 AOC is an overrated hack who gets a lot of mainstream media attention. She wasn't labeled underrated.

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2024 11:37 PM

Part of the reason AOC gets so much mainstream attention and is overrated as a politician is because of her looks. She's not a supermodel, but in the land of Hollywood for Ugly People aka DC she is very attractive compared to most politicians. AOC is a recipient of pretty privilege and I find it hilarious how some of her dumb fuck far left progressive fans haven't caught onto that.

Lauren Underwood who is mentioned at R1 is down to earth intelligent woman who worked as a nurse and in public health prior to running for Congress. She sort of reminds me of a female Steve Urkel and I bet if she was very attractive woman you would see her on magazine covers like how AOC has been on magazine covers.

Here is a video of Lauren Underwood speaking at an event in 2017 after starting her 2018 Congressional run. She spoke alongside Andy Kim, Haley Stevens, and Ken Harbaugh. Kim and Stevens were also elected in 2018. Harbaugh lost, but he is quite active in politics with his Burn the Boats podcast.

Stevens and Kim are also underrated like Underwood. Stevens speaks with an odd Michigan accent which is thicker than Gretchen Whitmer's accent. Her speaking style and weird physical mannerisms make me wonder if she has cerebral palsy or some kind of disability. But, Stevens is a moderate Dem who gets trashed quite a bit by progressives. Andy Kim was the Congressman who was photographed cleaning up trash in the Capitol after the J6 insurrection. Stevens and Kim don't have the egotistical attitudes that AOC or Gavin Newsom have. Stevens and Kim like Underwood have down-to-earth personalities . I suspect Stevens' accent causes people to write her off as some kooky midwestern lady. Stevens, Kim, and Underwood aren't the attention whores that AOC is and I doubt you would ever see any of them attitude the MET Gala wearing "tax the rich" clothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2024 11:56 PM

Stevens' fellow Michigander congresswoman Hillary Scholten might have a long future in politics. But, since she is a nerd woman who looks like she belongs in 1995, I doubt the mainstream media will ever give her attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2024 12:00 AM

Mikey Sherill. I could see her getting the VP nod someday. Her military service would nicely balance out a man with none.

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2024 12:02 AM

Sharon Stone.

by Anonymousreply 9October 2, 2024 12:05 AM

R8 I had never heard of her. But, from her Wikipedia pic she looks like she could give JD Vance a beatdown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 2, 2024 12:18 AM

[quote] Tim Walz. Before this election cycle he was on nobody’s radar.

I think being a midwesterner (not named JB Pritzker or Gretchen Whitmer) was why he wasn't on anybody's radar. It drives me nuts how many Dems from midwestern states are basically ignored because they don't live in California, Texas, Florida, or New York.

by Anonymousreply 11October 2, 2024 12:27 AM

Martin Heinrich.

by Anonymousreply 12October 2, 2024 3:43 AM

What about ME?????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 2, 2024 3:48 AM

Jon ossoff

by Anonymousreply 14October 2, 2024 3:50 AM

AOC is hardly "underrated" - if anything she's drastically over-rated.

by Anonymousreply 15October 2, 2024 4:04 AM

R15 AOC isn't underrated. She along with Newsom, Whitmer, and others mentioned in the first post have receive/received a lot of media attention. The thread is more about Dems who aren't known to most Americans in part because the media only likes to focus on the pretty girls( AOC, Whitmer (who is actually fucking up her face with botox and other procedutes), and Jasmine Crockett) and the well-known boys like Newsom and Beshear.

by Anonymousreply 16October 2, 2024 4:50 AM

Could we please revisit Tim Ryan (D-OH)? If only to get a sizemeat consensus?

Maybe also Conor Lamb, for the same reason. TIA!

by Anonymousreply 17October 2, 2024 5:36 AM

Jasmine Crockett is great. I love it when she takes down Republicans speaking nonsense in the House of Representatives. We're just retiring our governor after several terms and he has been a very good one - Jay Inslee. Some sort of odd mouth movements probably make him unelectable on the national stage, but he's bright and capable. The recent VP selection process brought the Pennsylvania governor into focus. Josh Shapiro. He's one to watch for national office.

by Anonymousreply 18October 2, 2024 6:55 AM

Representative Dan Goldman

Representative Joe Neguse

Representative Ted Lieu

by Anonymousreply 19October 2, 2024 10:43 AM

For those who can’t read, OP is naming dems who get a lot of attention (AOC, etc.) in the first paragraph and asking for underrated dems in the second.

by Anonymousreply 20October 2, 2024 1:05 PM

R17 I'll happily revisit the zippers of both gentlemen.

by Anonymousreply 21October 2, 2024 1:06 PM

Gavin Newsom a “gem”?

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2024 12:14 AM

AOC?

Bwahahahaha!

THE most overrated politician in office today!

by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2024 1:26 AM

R23 Can you NOT fucking READ?

OP's point was that AOC was part of a group of Dems that get PLENTY of attention. OP was asking: who is underrated and does NOT get attention?

R1 and R6 understood the assignment. But apparently some of you fat whores need Hooked on Phonics.

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2024 1:54 AM

Jennifer Granhollm. She would have been the best president ever if only she hadn't been born in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 25October 3, 2024 1:57 AM

Andy Beshear underrated?!?!?!

Just kidding. I know how to read.

by Anonymousreply 26October 3, 2024 2:00 AM

[quote]if only she hadn't been born in Canada

That doesn't seem to limit the possibility for a President Rafael Edward Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 27October 3, 2024 2:01 AM

r24 We live in an age where most people get their news through headlines while doom scrolling their carefully curated social media echo chambers. Are you really surprised that person didn't read the entire post?

by Anonymousreply 28October 3, 2024 2:04 AM

Gavin Newsom, but he has a toxic, arranged political marriage to Wife 2 that may be his downfall.

by Anonymousreply 29October 4, 2024 1:53 PM

Gavin Newsom is not underrated, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 30October 4, 2024 4:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!