Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Amos is DEAD TO ME

Damn, damn, damn!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 3, 2024 11:47 AM

I'm glad it's not John Stamos!

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2024 6:49 PM

Geez, people are dropping like flies.

What's going on.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2024 6:52 PM

As we used to say around these parts, he had a hot ass, but he couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2024 6:53 PM

Damn, damn, damn! He was a FINE man!

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2024 7:08 PM

My hunger for BBC started with that man and his VPL.

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2024 7:09 PM

He was a nice guy.I remember on Good Times he had big crotch bulge in his brushed corduroy pants.

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2024 7:21 PM

He outlived me by more than 25 years ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2024 7:35 PM

But I think you were still the same age when you died, Esther

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2024 7:43 PM

He actually died close to a month and a half ago. Unsure what’s up with that.

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2024 7:46 PM

There’s a lot of fighting going on about his estate and who should have been his caretaker. I suspect that had something to do with it, R 9.

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2024 7:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2024 7:51 PM

R10 is right. His son KC seemed to be his primary caretaker and he’s in some kind of battle with his sister.

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2024 7:52 PM

RIP, Mr. McDowell

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2024 7:58 PM

So by releasing his date of death to the public today, his son has some kind of advantage over his sister I’m guessing in terms of John’s estate and maybe didn’t tell his sister when he died all along?

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2024 8:10 PM

I hope glass punch bowls were flung down in hysterical grief across the width and breadth of America today.

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2024 8:46 PM

He presented some fine VPL on that show.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2024 8:59 PM

Grown up Kunta Kinte. RIP.

So now most of the MTM cast members are dead 😵

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2024 9:15 PM

I thought he had died years ago for some reason. Watching reruns of Good Times in the early 90s as an adolescent, I think he fueled my interest in "daddies."

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2024 9:38 PM

[quote]So now most of the MTM cast members are dead

I think the only one left is Robbie Rist, who went from playing the annoying 'Cousin Oliver' on The Brady Bunch, to playing the equally annoying adopted son David (to Georgette and Ted) on 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show'.

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2024 9:46 PM

[quote]He actually died close to a month and a half ago. Unsure what’s up with that.

Apparently, he died only days after Wally Amos, the cookie magnate, so maybe John’s death was eclipsed by that of the more famous Amos.

by Anonymousreply 20October 2, 2024 4:31 AM

True story: before he became a cookie entrepreneur, Wally Amos was an agent at William Morris, and represented John Amos at one point.

by Anonymousreply 21October 2, 2024 4:36 AM

And the two dads from Coming to America died within a months of each other.

by Anonymousreply 22October 2, 2024 3:14 PM

I saw him on the street near Astor Place some years back, dressed in a matching silk pajama sort of outfit. I lingered to eavesdrop on his phone call. He tossed his cigarette and said, "Yeah, baby, so what's going on out on the coast?"

He seemed like a total baller.

by Anonymousreply 23October 2, 2024 3:49 PM

In the early Aughts he was living on a houseboat in Mexico with his decades younger girlfriend. Total baller is right.

by Anonymousreply 24October 2, 2024 4:54 PM

It was very strange yesterday. My husband texted me that John Amos had died. And I said why are you telling me now, wasn't that like months ago. He said someone we follow had just posted on their instagram. I was thinking she must have it wrong. I looked up wikipedia and said yeah, it says he died August 21st. And I thought I was justified. Then only to find out it had just been announced yesterday, that not even his own daughter knew that he died. How did I know for a fact that he died weeks ago when the only other person was his son? Very odd. And I am not confusing him with James Earl Jones. I know the difference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2024 9:21 PM

He died on August 21st, but kept ballin’ til October 1st.

by Anonymousreply 26October 2, 2024 9:28 PM

R26 You can say that again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 3, 2024 1:37 AM

Has Jimmy Walker, Ralph Carter or Bern' adette Stanis commented on the actor's death ?

by Anonymousreply 28October 3, 2024 11:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!