Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Underrated Animated Films

What are some animated films you consider underrated?

Everyone raves over Beauty and the Beast, Finding Nemo, etc., but what are some forgotten hidden gems?

by Anonymousreply 36October 3, 2024 6:25 PM

An American Tail (1986)

The film follows a young Jewish mouse, Fievel, as he travels from Shostka, Russian Empire to New York City.

The voice talents include Dom DeLusie, Nehemiah Persoff, Christopher Plummer, Hal Smith, John Finnegan, and Madeline Kahn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2024 6:04 PM

Probably anything by Jiri Trnka (1912-1969), Czech animator who never really left his country to work anywhere else. Though he also created hand-drawn animated films, he was best known for stop-motion, specifically 2 features, “The Emperor’s Nightingale” (1949), “A Midsummer Night’s Dream “ (1959), and a more political short, “The Hand” (1965).

His style has a delicacy of subtle facial expressions, as well as exquisite settings and color palette. I particularly love his concept of Oberon, who has antlers, and wears a cloak of autumn leaves. I saw the large model for this in a display devoted to Trnka’s work, in the Czech pavilion at Expo ‘67, in Montreal.

Unfortunately, however, his films have never been widely seen in the U.S., and have had only limited video releases.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2024 7:24 PM

The Russian animated "Frog Princess" aired (in parts) on a local morning kids' show when I was a young kid in the very late '50's, and I would watch it before heading to school. The dubbing in this version uses the name Vasalisa for the princess, but the name I remember her having is Marilinda (not sure of that spelling, that's what it sounded like). Anyone else remember it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2024 7:42 PM

Triplets of Belleville

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2024 7:46 PM

The Iron Giant (1999). Such a wonderful film!

I'm not exactly sure if "underrated" is the right word to use because it was VERY critically acclaimed, but not only did it underperform at the box office, it seems to have been largely forgotten.

It doesn't get nearly the amount of (nostalgia-driven, Millenial) attention the way that the films mentioned by OP, The Lion King, and even the Shrek films get.

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2024 8:22 PM

"I Lost My Body" is a weird, magical French movie that was up for the animated feature Oscar a few years back. It's a slightly creepy boy-meets-girl story AND the perilous journey of a severed hand trying to get back to the rest of its body (the boy in question).

Okay, maybe I'm not selling it well, but it's totally original and deeply felt. I promise!

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2024 8:32 PM

Idk if underrated but not so well known, in the U.S at least : "Where the wind blows" a british animated film from 1986 about a sole elderly couple surviving a nuclear attack and slowly and unkniwingly dying of radiation poisoning. Great but...don't watch it if you're having a bad day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2024 8:37 PM

Hoppity (Mr. Bug) Goes to Town

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2024 8:44 PM

One of the lesser known Ghibli's - When Marnie was There (2014). It has an obvious lesbian coming of age storyline but then it's like Disney switched it up midway. It's still a visually gorgeous film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2024 8:45 PM

Graveyard of Fireflies

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2024 8:59 PM

The Great Mouse Detective (1986)

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2024 9:03 PM

The rescuers, The Fox and the Hound, Robin Hood, the Secret of NIHM

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2024 9:13 PM

Anastasia (1997)

Meg Ryan, John Cusack, Kelsey Grammer, Christopher Lloyd, Bernadette Peters, Hank Azaria, and Dame Angela Lansbury

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2024 9:18 PM

Happily Ever After (1993). A semi-sequel to Snow White by Filmation.

Best remembered for its stellar cast: Irene Cara, Carol Channing, Ed Asner, Phyllis Diller, Malcolm McDowell, Dom DeLuise, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Tracey Ullman, Sally Kellerman.

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2024 9:19 PM

Emperor’s New Groove - freaking hilarious

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2024 9:21 PM

The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2024 9:22 PM

Heavy Metal

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2024 9:28 PM

Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2024 9:31 PM

Mary and Max-not a kids movie. But, a very touching stop motion animation movie.

I admit I cried when I first watched it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2024 9:32 PM

Heavy Traffic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2024 9:38 PM

Gay Puree

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2024 9:43 PM

The single greatest moment in the history of animation . Makes me proud to be nuts. I performed this in high school, gym class to be exact. After that tbey wouldn’t allow Me into the boys locker room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2024 10:13 PM

Igor (2008)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2024 10:57 PM

“101 Dalmatians 2” and “Cinderella III: A Twist in Time” are among the better Disney DTV sequels.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2024 11:55 PM

Disney's Melody Time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2024 12:02 AM

Ferngully was really good.

by Anonymousreply 26October 2, 2024 12:04 AM

perfect blue is the greatest crime thriller ever made and it's a japanese anime. darren aronofsky bought the rights to the film because he still can't figure out how to make a movie without ripping it off.

by Anonymousreply 27October 2, 2024 12:04 AM

R18 = teacaketo NLI

by Anonymousreply 28October 2, 2024 12:07 AM

Watership Down

by Anonymousreply 29October 2, 2024 2:28 PM

I remember loving "the point" at the time, don't know if it's held up. The music probably has.

"Mr. Magoos Christmas Carol" is my favorite adaptation of Dicken's story. I watch it every year.

by Anonymousreply 30October 2, 2024 5:44 PM

Shinbone Alley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 2, 2024 5:59 PM

Not a film, but a wonderful, dreamlike series that aired on Cartoon Network. "Over the Garden Wall"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 2, 2024 6:14 PM

Someone already mentioned Gay Purée. Brilliant. It needs a major restoration and the soundtrack needs to be sweetened a little, especially Judy Garland’s vocals. Judy’s voice by this time had gotten a little rough.

Someone also mentioned Mr. Magi’s Christmas. Also brilliant. Good music too.

by Anonymousreply 33October 3, 2024 6:00 PM

No doubt the inspiration for TOY STORY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 3, 2024 6:05 PM

La Planete Sauvage (1973) was pretty fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 35October 3, 2024 6:13 PM

This 2000 animated musical of "Tom Sawyer" with anthropomorphic animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 3, 2024 6:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!