Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Small "Castle" plus a 4 BR Tudor home

$1.5 million and both can be yours!

Apparently also listed on a haunted house tour - but with those views and rooms, who wouldn't mind sharing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2024 8:15 PM

I love it but I don't want the heating bills.

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2024 4:32 PM

Was it used as a inn? Very industrial kitchen, more like a restaurant/inn than a home.

Vaguely creepy exterior.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2024 4:53 PM

Vaguely creepy everything.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2024 4:54 PM

I'm with R1. I love it, but cannot imagine the heating bills. You would have to close off parts of the house in the wintertime.

The house would be a great setting for a Weekend organized around a mystery....a snowstorm or wild thunderstorms have cut the premises off and the guests must decide the victim and the suspects.

I'd love the place because of my kinky side. I can see turning the cellar or attic into a Playroom.

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2024 5:05 PM

It’s beautiful. But what’s the economy behind it? Why were large houses like this built in the middle of nowhere in the 19 century?

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2024 5:11 PM

R5 - apparently a dairy process inventor. Little Falls was famous for its cheese production in the late 19th century.

Family still lived there until 70's and then another until late 80's. Then purchased by a NYC couple who turned it into a restaurant late 80's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2024 5:20 PM

Thanks R6!

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2024 5:30 PM

Is there a big fat girl well in the basement?

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2024 5:30 PM

I haven't been around forever on DL (though it seems so to my detractors) but I'm just mentioning we've seen this house before in our threads.

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2024 5:30 PM

I don't understand how someone built such an important home with no formal gardens. Have they been lobbed off and developed?

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2024 5:33 PM

Haunted af

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2024 5:41 PM

Only some stupid cunt realtor would type this "Welcome to An American Castle, Designed..."

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2024 6:00 PM

It looks like it has railroad tracks next to it and that it's ready to be hit by a rockslide.

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2024 6:11 PM

R13. NO. and NO. Look at google maps.

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2024 6:16 PM

Looks like it would be a good event space for weddings

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2024 6:27 PM

I love big old houses like this. Of course I could never live in one.

It can only be used as a B&B or a vacation rental for large, extended families.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2024 6:42 PM

[quote]I don't understand how someone built such an important home with no formal gardens. Have they been lobbed off and developed?

I can only assume you're not familiar with the Northeast. While this is obviously a grand house, formal gardens were by no means a necessity for one (at least in the US), and there are a huge number of 19th-century mansions around the region with similarly little underlying land. Considering this town used to be situated along the Erie Canal, it was more of a merchants' city, not one for showing off one's fortune.

Also, it's difficult to tell from the photos, but the house is on a bluff overlooking the town, and there isn't anywhere any gardens could go (or at least not any "classic" gardens like I assume you're envisioning). The mismatched photos are a concern: in the main pic the house has its windows boarded up – presumably a sign of severe wear – but most do not, and the interior pics look dated but also definitely not trashed.

R13, I initially thought it might have once been a rail depot as well, but I looked at the map and saw that the town's railroad tracks pass through its center.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2024 7:03 PM

The house is called The Overlook. THE OVERLOOK? FUCK NO

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2024 7:04 PM

R17 I know the mansions of the Industrial and Gilded age extremely well. I ams surprised by the perch like letting. They chose to build it there but did not envision a proper setting. If they didn't want to show off their wealth, this house would not exist. It's not THAT grand, by the way. Not palatial. It's big, but also modest in some ways.

I'm just trying to figure out what other land was part of this house, perhaps. Such as the plateau above it.

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2024 7:07 PM

perch like setting.

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2024 7:09 PM

It really gives me the creeps. I like the servants quarters/house better and that's still creepy. The kitchen of the main is giving me Shining vibes and so is the upstairs room.

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2024 7:09 PM

Watch the clip at R6. It talks about the site.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2024 7:10 PM

Thanks will do.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2024 7:13 PM

[quote]They chose to build it there but did not envision a proper setting.

To clarify a bit: while plenty of grand houses lack gardens, I definitely disagree that gardens are either essential or constitute the entirety of the idea of "setting." I'm guessing this house's "setting" was already referenced: it's perched above the town and likely has a commanding view of it. I'm not sure why they didn't include it more in the photos, but you can tell from a few shots.

Finally, while you *personally* only think a grand house is "proper" if surrounded by a huge number of gardens, I don't think this is true, nor did the numerous affluent people who began populating upstate New York in droves circa 1850. Below is a link showing you some of the myriad houses of similar style, size & vintage in Hudson – meaning the *town* of Hudson, not the entire Hudson Valley, and also meaning that these places sit on parcels of land under one acre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2024 7:34 PM

Oooh, reminds me of the Six Feet Under house. I LIKE it!

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2024 8:02 PM

R24 YOU ARE PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. "Finally, while you *personally* only think a grand house is "proper" if surrounded by a huge number of gardens"

I never said any such thing or have any expectation.

I said no "formal garden". Nothing about a "huge number of gardens".

I expected to see at least some remnants of formal landscaping even in the hill side setting.

Will you just shut up if you can't read what people write.

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2024 8:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!