Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

For Those of You Who Own Cars, Do You Have a Dashcam?

I watch Road Wars on A&E and many people have them. On videos on YouTube, people always suggest having them. They can help if there are accidents (whether or not you are involved). They seem especially vital for rideshare drivers.

If you have one, has it come in handy and, if so, how?

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2024 10:05 PM

No because I do not see driving as being in a Mad Max movie.

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2024 3:12 PM

These days, I can't imagine not owning Ring cameras for all entrances to your home and dashcams for cars.

The tradeoff between privacy and personal protection and security has shifted so dramatically in the past few years that it almost makes you put on your tinhat and question whether it wasn't part of well-conceived strategy to get people to willingly give up personal liberty for safety.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2024 3:14 PM

R2: This is nonsense. The odds of capturing something useful over the course of normal driving mileage is trivial. Perhaps you should stop watching true-crime drama and cable news.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2024 3:27 PM

I have the Next Door app., and people are posting all the time about porch pirates, people sneaking around their homes, and people stealing cars from their driveways. The footage included is usually not that clear and has never helped catch anyone even when the perp is flipping off the camera.

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2024 3:36 PM

I thought this was about vehicle dashcams?

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2024 3:43 PM

I've been debating one for awhile. I want something tiny that can be hidden behind the rear view. Every time I research them I can't find something that seems satisfactory so I keep waiting as the tech evolves

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2024 3:56 PM

[Quote] I keep waiting as the tech evolves

Too cheap to buy one, huh.

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2024 4:05 PM

I'd like to buy one, but I drive so little it is hard to justify one.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2024 4:12 PM

I don’t want one and will use my fucking phone

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2024 4:29 PM

Ignore R3. Get one that also has a rear view camera.

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2024 4:37 PM

lol you seem nice r7

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote]The odds of capturing something useful over the course of normal driving mileage is trivial. Perhaps you should stop watching true-crime drama and cable news.

Well, that's just it, isn't it?

You're not tryhing to capture something useful over the course of normal driving mileage. You're trying to capture something in the event of an accident in order to substantiate whatever happened with video proof.

Same with Ring cameras. You're not trying to get random footage, but footage if something actually happens, such as burglaries, porch pirates, or frankly some lunatic decides to come to your house to confront you. People are unhinged these days.

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2024 7:08 PM

No. I drive pretty much to and from work, and the occasional errand. I don't need a dash cam. My H has one in the truck for when we go off-roading and want to document something.

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2024 7:15 PM

Check out the Youtube channel 'Dashcam Nation'. If you live in an area that has drivers shown in some of the clips then you might need more than a dashcam to protect yourself/occupants from the truly insane.

Some new vehicles offer a dashcam (front/rear) as an option. Defensive driving is your best component in avoiding skirmishes w/other drivers.

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2024 10:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!