Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What kitchen appliance would they have to pry out of your cold, dead hands?

I've had a slow juicer for a year but never opened it until yesterday. I love having green juices spiked with watermelon or apple and ginger juice. What shocks me is that it was a Chinese knock-off via Amazon. If it breaks down, I'll replace it with a Hurom or something more expensive.

Yes, I realize the beefs against juicing but Martha Stewart starts every day with green juice and she's fabulous.

So this is replacing my Instant Pot, rice cooker and Blendtech blender as the object of my affection.

What's your favoritekitchen appliance?

by Anonymousreply 45October 2, 2024 10:31 PM

My Keurig.

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2024 8:45 PM

My little DeLonghi espresso machine.

It makes an adequate coffee and I like how little space it takes up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2024 8:46 PM

My stovetop percolator that works in a flash on my induction cooktop.

Nothing beats the kitchen aroma of a percolator making coffee in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2024 8:48 PM

A tiny toaster oven which I use for tuna melts on an English muffin or reheating a slice of pizza, or toasting similary small items.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2024 8:50 PM

None of the above. I hate cooking, baking, slicing, dicing, mincing and then cleaning up all that shitty mess afterwards.

But I do like to eat.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2024 8:58 PM

For usefulness, the no-name (“Chef’s Choice”) toaster oven/toaster/broiler from JC Penney maybe 10 years ago. I use it more than any other appliance. The old chrome Dualit toaster hasn’t been used for years.

The juicer for fresh OJ and the little Cuisinart “spice grinder” - heh, heh - for weed are indispensable but I use the toaster oven the most. During the pandemic they couldn’t get a part to repair the real oven for 3 or 4 months and I managed without it, just needed smaller pans.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2024 8:58 PM

I have a Moulinex countertop-type oven/convection oven (in place of a large appliance oven); a small microwave; a Krups coffe machine; and an emulsion blender. That's it for electrical small kitchen appliances. I used to have a blender, stand and portable mixers, waffle iron, panini grille, toaster, toaster oven, coffee grinder, battery powered scales; and probably something/s forgotten, but I moved and ditched them. None of them are missed.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2024 9:03 PM

My maid.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2024 9:04 PM

[quote]I have a Moulinex countertop-type oven/convection oven (in place of a large appliance oven);

I second the countertop oven. I don't have a Moulinex but these countertops are so much better for 2 people than regular ovens. They heat up fast, are easy to clean, and don't take up as much space as you'd think. Haven't used the regular oven for 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2024 9:09 PM

Crockpot

Peach Street Speed-Boil Electric Kettle...just got it and freed up a burner on the stove

Wooden carving, chopping board

Garlic press

Basic $1.48 vegetable peeler

The stock/sauce pot that my Grandmother made sauce in

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2024 9:24 PM

My corkscrew.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2024 9:29 PM

Electric can opener. Manual ones suck.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2024 9:32 PM

KitchenAid stand mixer, two stainless steel 5 quart bowls, one copper insert bowl for beating egg whites. Even though I don’t bake that much nowadays, it is essential when I do.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2024 9:33 PM

My Spurtles!

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2024 9:50 PM

Love my silicone spurtles.

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2024 9:55 PM

My hardware store salad spinner.

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2024 9:56 PM

I don't cook, so none.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2024 2:39 AM

Keurig. I’ve had it for nine years now.

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2024 3:16 AM

Americans love heir small kitchen appliances. And open kitchens. And to hide the shame of countless too specific devices, and salad spinners bigger than a dowager countess' hat box.

How to balance it all?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2024 8:05 AM

[quote]KitchenAid stand mixer

Another vote for KitchenAid Mixer. My mom bought one for me in the early years before they became a thing in multi-colors and that thing really has been a gem, particularly for making rye bread, which is incredibly dense. I've got a Nespresso coffee maker which I like, but would not replace if it broke

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2024 8:15 AM

My KitchenAid mixer definitely. Then my electric kettle..

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2024 8:21 AM

Electric kettle

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2024 8:49 AM

r12 Swing-a-Way would like a word.

My Frigidaire microwave which has lasted me years now. Never buy Danby appliances.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2024 9:26 AM

[quote]I've had a slow juicer for a year but never opened it until yesterday.

You've only used it for ONE day

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2024 9:29 AM

ESPRESSO MACHINE

I have a real one, not that Keurig/Nespresso garbage that makes coffee scented piss water.

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2024 10:03 AM

R25 is very pleased with himself for having a real ESPRESSO MACHINE. I am very pleased with myself to have 12 coffee bars within one block of me, so if I want a good, strong coffee, I take it in the street and let someone else make it, serve it, and do the cleaning up, all for €1.30 to €1.60. At ome when I can´t be bothered, I drink coffee scented piss water from a Keurig/Nespresso. We all have our own luxuries.

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2024 10:18 AM

Dishwasher. No question.

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2024 11:22 AM

I loved my juicer but I wish it had a quiet mode.

by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2024 11:32 AM

The refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2024 11:33 AM

[quote] Electric can opener. Manual ones suck.

Until the power goes out.

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2024 11:34 AM

My 20-year-old Calphalon pots and pans. Black and with age But so dependable.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2024 11:41 AM

Sorry you have to go outside, like a vagrant, for a decent cup of coffee. Also what's with your fucked up apostrophes?

No shade, btw, I'm just having a really bad day and feel like taking it out on my fellow DLers. I'm happy to return the favour anytime.

by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2024 1:50 PM

My little air fryer is used almost daily, but my one and only is my Vitamix blender!

by Anonymousreply 33October 1, 2024 1:53 PM

Seems there's no appliance that helps r32 channel his anger and upset in a way that isn't destructive. You'd rather shit on someone online and attempt to make them feel bad about themselves because you're too lazy and self-indulgent to do 25 jumping jacks or something.

by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2024 1:54 PM

My Ninja Foodi grill, my food chopper and my stand mixer.

by Anonymousreply 35October 1, 2024 3:16 PM

Ice cream maker!!! We make it twice a week at least, we thought it would be a George Formen grill, and get rid of it, you can make batchafter batch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 1, 2024 3:35 PM

If my slow juicer turns out to be a piece of shit, I will replace it with a high end model. So much easier to clean than the standard centrifugal juices. Green juices with apple and ginger are nice.

by Anonymousreply 37October 1, 2024 7:13 PM

my InstaPot. Never made better pot roast than with that thing. Also, I like me steamed veggies for my weekly meal prep and it does a good job.

But the Instapot is good for soups and red meat. Love that thing.

I miss my toaster oven. But the way my kitchen is setup, there inset a good spot for one, but when I buy my place in the within the next year that’s the first thing on my list.

by Anonymousreply 38October 1, 2024 9:30 PM

Ate you huffing files from your Instapot, R38? Something is awry.

Buy may I borrow, "in the within the"? It has a hint of peak Van Morrison to its craziness.

by Anonymousreply 39October 2, 2024 5:59 PM

So, OP, the appliance they’ll have to pry out of your cold, dead hands is one you kept unused for a year until yesterday?

Sounds pretty fickle.

by Anonymousreply 40October 2, 2024 6:07 PM

You’re right, R39, but I imagined it in a more Jim Morrison way:

“Cumon baby fight my liar in the within the instapot”

by Anonymousreply 41October 2, 2024 6:07 PM

r12, how many cans of food do you open a day/week that you need an electric can opener? Doesn't everything in cans now come with a pull top?

I have a collapsible salad spinner that I love. When I lived in small NYC apartments with tiny kitchens I never had a salad spinner because they take up so much room and can't really be multi-purposed. I would have loved this and its collapsible strainer companion even more then. I simply marvel at its design ingenuity as I flatten it to store on the shelf with pot lids.

by Anonymousreply 42October 2, 2024 7:06 PM

SodaStream, which was definitely worth the investment seven years ago..

by Anonymousreply 43October 2, 2024 7:08 PM

I have many appliances and love them all but some more than others. Slow juicer and I are now in the first throes of a menaingful relationship. Refurbished Blendec is there for the long haul. Still have an unopened Kitchenaide blender so who knows what my future loves will be?

by Anonymousreply 44October 2, 2024 9:51 PM

My Breville mini oven/toaster. I use it every day.

by Anonymousreply 45October 2, 2024 10:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!