Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MAGAts drop Netflix en masse

After the chairman donated to Harris. Time to subscribe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2024 5:02 AM

Oh 100% I am now subscribing, and I barely even watch TV :)

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2024 8:03 PM

Dang, I was ready to drop due to content that I really don't care about and now ads.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2024 8:26 PM

Does anyone really think these MAGA boycotts are significant enough to change anything? Small reduction in subscribers - and probably fewer complaint letters about perfectly fine programs that they don't like.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2024 8:28 PM

The twitter hashtag happened over a week ago and lasted for a day. It was never a big deal and has already been forgotten. This is a total non-story.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2024 8:42 PM

Yup I worked for a company that purposefully made their app more difficult to use because they wanted a certain demographic to leave - namely people who paid 99c each month but spent 5 hours on the phone to customer support. Any hothead who hit the cancel button will save them money in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2024 8:44 PM

Good for him. He can certainly afford it (as a cofounder of Netflix he's worth a few billions), but he might have hedged and donated to both parties or to neither as so many in his position do. He's young enough to have a career ahead of him if he wants, and he might have stayed out of as all but the too-old-or-too-evil-to-give-a-fuck CEOs of any pofile often do.

And I've never been pleased with Netflix as a streaming service over the years. It's nice, for once, to find that I don't need to put on blinders for the auto-pay subscription.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2024 8:46 PM

Fuck them! I ended my subscription over a year ago because I don't find their original content worthwhile, but I'm resubscribing after hearing that he supports Harris/Walz. It's good to see that some billionaires have good politics.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2024 8:50 PM

We should do this too. Home Depot makes big contributions to the traitorous felon at the top of the Republican ticket, for instance.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2024 8:52 PM

Waiting for S2 of Kaos so I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2024 9:59 PM

Another $25/mo more they can flush down the shitter to Orange Jesus, then bawl on social media how being broke after is Biden's fault.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2024 10:57 PM

[quote]Does anyone really think these MAGA boycotts are significant enough to change anything?

No, boycotts in general almost never work unless they're about something that actually *matters*, and the chairman of a multinational corporation endorsing a presidential candidate doesn't truly "matter" in the least. (Unless you're a MAGAt with a severe case of white fragility.)

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2024 10:59 PM

Big deal. In a capitalist system, consumers should have choices. If they don’t like the politics of the person who runs the company then they don’t have to patronize that company. I don’t like the politics of the Chick-fil-A people so I don’t eat there. I also think it’s overrated.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2024 11:16 PM

Boycotts rarely succeed by crashing the earnings of a company, they succeed by cumulative small ways and principally by loss of goodwill. The Coors beer boycott by gays began in 1977 and ended 1987 or before (as a part of a massive labor dispute against Coors from 1957-1987.) It was the first major boycott in the US where labor and gay and lesbian advocates joined forces in a significant way. The thing about boycotts is that their beginning and, even more, their endings are imprecise. There is rarely an official start and stop date, and as ssuch the longer a boycott extends the more damage it does in goodwill. Few in the consumer public know the who? what? when? where? and why? of a boycott, they only know that the company pissed some people off and that there is?/was? some kind of boycott, or talk of a boycott. In the early 1990s, a decade after gays finally made progress with Coors, gays and lesbians were still talking about the boycott of the company in the present tense. There's no tidy conclusion, no reasonable understanding of the issues -- and the thing is that that can work beautifully. There's no end date for when a dark cloud passes, it can linger like a bad smell for years, maybe not strangling a company but inhibiting their growth, curbing their advertising campaigns, chipping away at the confidence people once had in a product. No, boycotts rarely have a neatly measurable negative effect, but they do create a cloud of doubt and make it easier for consumers to turn away from a brand.

But too many boycotts all at once? The crazy QAnons and Trumpers have so many and such random gripes that there's no keeping up with them: Target, Wal-Mart, pizza parlors, Netflix, auto manufacturers, Bud Light, and endless media companies, retailers, and ever changing landscape of enemies -- it becomes unknowable and unenforceable or simply easy/convenient to forget who is the the shit list as of today. Only the Koch brothers' family of products are immune. Maybe. With low intelligence followers, a high compliance level is too much to ask for the by the minute ins and outs.

I don't think Netflix has much to worry about. Netflix currently has 240M subscribers, 66.7M of whom are in the US; it can probably weather a cancel rate of 2.8% of 27% of its market. It's not as if many boycotters won't soon forget or overlook principals for a new series they want to see.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2024 11:54 PM

So 3,000 people dropped their subscriptions? No big whoop.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2024 11:58 PM

Illiterates can't use subtitles anyway.

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2024 12:15 AM

r14 "No big whoop. "

You sound sharp.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2024 12:17 AM

The MAGAts will be back once Netflix starts running its Joseph Goebbels ten-part biography.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2024 5:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!