Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I can't believe that Hurricane Helene killed over 100 people!

Short on supplies, power and patience, storm victims who saw the brutal force of Helene upend their lives have emerged to a new week, facing the daunting challenge of rebuilding.

Some of the roads and bridges they need to do the job aren’t there anymore. Electricity could be a week away or longer. Emergency services are stretched. Communications infrastructure is in shreds. And neighbors, some of whose own homes are gone, are helping neighbors – all the while worrying about the fate of those from whom they haven’t heard.

At least 102 people have died across six states since Helene, which made landfall in Florida as a mammoth Category 4 hurricane, tore through the Southeast and left millions without power and communications.

North Carolina suffered the highest death toll, at least 42 so far – a grim number that could rise as crews make their way to the hardest hit areas. The most recent fatalities include five deaths reported in Henderson County, along with the death of a sheriff’s deputy in Macon County who was swept away by the storm.

At least 25 storm victims also perished in South Carolina, 17 in Georgia, 11 in Florida, four in Tennessee and two in Virginia. Hundreds have been reported missing, perhaps unable to leave their location or unable to contact family due to damaged communications infrastructure.

Helene’s path of destruction stretched more than 500 miles, from coastal Florida to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Ravaged by the storm, the historic North Carolina mountain community of Asheville is now isolated as hundreds of roads in the Carolinas remain closed, hampering the delivery of badly-needed supplies — and making it difficult to get people out.

More than 2 million customers remain without power, according to PowerOutage.us. Power companies are dealing with damaged and blocked roads as they work to restore power to homes and businesses.

President Joe Biden will visit some of the affected communities later this week, “as soon as it will not disrupt emergency response operations,” the White House said Sunday evening. He will speak Monday morning at the White House about federal efforts underway to speed resources to where they are needed. The president approved disaster relief and has been in contact with the governors where the damage was most severe.

Amid cleanup efforts, a Buncombe County resident told CNN she has no power, running water or cell phone reception.

Clutching firewood in her hands, Meredith Keisler, a school nurse, said: “We’re collecting wood because we have a grill to make fire, to cook food,” she said.

While Keisler says she considers herself lucky with resources at her home, she plans to work at a shelter to help others.

“It’s incredible — the destruction. It’s really sad,” she noted when asked about her surroundings.

About 20 miles east of Asheville, Krista Cortright said her boyfriend’s grandmother had no way of getting out of Black Mountain due to flooding. Cortright told CNN the couple had to get to her since she had limited supplies and she is diabetic.

It typically takes the couple 25 minutes to travel from Marion to the grandmother’s house. On Sunday, due to road closures, it took them 2.5 hours.

“Things are even more devastating in person,” Cortright said. “(Western North Carolina) is going to take a very long time to recover, but I am so grateful that we are here and doing OK. My heart is broken for our people here.”

Michael Callahan, president of Duke Energy’s utility operations in South Carolina, said infrastructure repairs need to precede power restoration efforts.

As of Sunday night, about 760,000 homes and businesses were without electricity in South Carolina, according to PowerOutage.us.

In Georgia, Florida, North Carolina and Virginia, more than 1.2 million customers were without power.

Officials in Buncombe County, North Carolina – where at least 30 people have died – have received about 600 missing persons reports through an online form, County Manager Avril Pinder said Sunday.

Former FEMA administrator Craig Fugate encouraged people not to lose hope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 4, 2024 6:12 PM

It's really sad. I have family and friends in the area and the devastation looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2024 6:42 PM

Why are you surprised, more than a thousand people died in Katrina. Extra terrible hurricanes happen every so often, can't be avoided.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2024 6:51 PM

For me, it's more who were killed. I would have never thought Asheville would get hit so hard, considering it's in the western part of the state.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2024 6:57 PM

If you're looking for animal stuff to help, Brother Wolf rescue is pretty much underwater. They're a wonderful rescue who I have worked with and they are amazing, I was in a jam one time and needed transportation immediately for 35 dogs from Greenville SC and they swooped in and drove them all to me in Vermont. Didn't even ask for money (we of course paid them).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2024 7:20 PM

[quote]Some of the roads and bridges they need to do the job aren’t there anymore. Electricity could be a week away or longer. Emergency services are stretched. Communications infrastructure is in shreds.

I guess they should have spent more time believing in climate change and the extreme weather conditions it would create.

I guess they probably should have invested time, money, and other resources into developing emegency infrastructure and plans than it stopping the evil drag queens from reading stories in libraries or trying to re-litigate previously established rights for gay people.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2024 8:06 PM

They may as well wait. Next week is just going to be a repeat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2024 9:19 PM

A few years ago coming out of the pandemic I took a road trip from Nashville to pigeon forge and I absolutely love that area. I wasn't prepared for how beautiful it was but also have friendly and kind pretty much everybody I interacted with truly were. It's probably one of my most favorite trips and I've been looking forward to getting back to the area and it's sad to see all the devastation.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2024 9:25 PM

They'll never recover all the missing, some were swept out to sea.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2024 9:27 PM

If you’re in the area and need a respite from the flooding, Appalachian State University in NC has electric. It’s open to storm victims, not just students.

If you need to charge your phone, get some good and hook up to the WiFi, you can do so there.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2024 10:12 PM

[quote]They'll never recover all the missing, some were swept out to sea.

I've always wondered how many people have used disasters like this to "disappear" and start a new life somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2024 11:17 PM

[quote] If you need to charge your phone, get some good and hook up to the WiFi, you can do so there.

Is hooking up with students allowed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2024 11:18 PM

I think Florida was somewhat lucky if only for the fact that it looks like the bend area of the state looks to be mainly forest and aquatic preserve?

It could have been so much worse if it was just a bit west and hit Panama City, Pensacola, Destin, etc. Looks like Pensacola escaped the worst of it as well.

Inland suffered way worse - which is shocking.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2024 11:27 PM

Sure, r11! Knock yourself out!

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2024 4:22 AM

Hurricanes no longer get big press. They always hit the same places.

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2024 4:39 AM

They were all Trumpers who wouldn’t get out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2024 10:51 AM

I would be sucking SO MUCH dick to get the fuck out of Flordia. My friends live in Key West and are constantly looking for places to stay during hurricane season.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2024 11:23 AM

Goddammit. FLORIDA^^

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2024 11:24 AM

They are using mule trains to get supplies to people. That's how cut off some of these hollers are. Its a nightmare scenario.

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2024 11:30 AM

R3, and has an altitude of over a thousand feet. NO place is safe from climate change

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2024 11:55 AM

Wait until Houston gets a direct hit, it won't be pretty.

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2024 3:43 PM

I told you I was hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2024 3:50 PM

And to think, should Shitler win (((shudder))), Project 2025 will do away with the NOAA, FEMA, and all Federal disaster preparedness and cleanup efforts. We won't even know when a storm is approaching, let alone how strong it is and whether or not to get out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2024 4:16 PM

Yet the stupid cunts who benefit the most from these programs are his core cultists.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2024 5:30 PM

[quote] North Carolina official reveals shocking damage to tourist town: 'All of it was washed into the lake'

The mountainous village where "The Last of the Mohicans" and "Dirty Dancing" were filmed is no longer there following the devastating impacts of Hurricane Helene, a local official said.

The little town of Chimney Rock in North Carolina sits at the base of Chimney Rock State Park and is home to the picturesque Lake Lure. Ed Broyhill, a North Carolina GOP national committee member, who owns a home on the lake, said the community has been devastated by storm damage.

"The saddest thing in the world is that a lot of the folks have etched out a living catering to tourism…. They have everything from hotels and motels and restaurants and nice stores and souvenir stores and clothing stores, and all of that was washed away. Every bit of it, all of it, was washed into the lake," he said.

Ed Broyhill said that the village of Chimney Rock is now in Lake Lure following the impacts of Hurricane Helene. Roads are washed out, electricity remains out for many, and Broyhill believes it will take "at least a year" to rebuild.

He called it the "worst weather event that's ever occurred in western North Carolina."

Broyhill recalled watching National Guard helicopters evacuating people from the area Sunday. He inspected the local area and saw entire sections of road missing. "It's surreal," he said.

The North Carolina Department of Transportation has urged people to avoid unnecessary travel in western North Carolina, ahead of the usually busy fall foliage season.

"Our top priority is everyone’s safety and well-being," Transportation Secretary Joey Hopkins said in a press release. "People should still consider roads in western North Carolina to be closed and avoid travel unless it is absolutely necessary. Priority must be given to all the emergency responders, utility and transportation crews, and others who are working hard to help with what will be a lengthy response and recovery effort."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2024 7:30 PM

Full list of Republicans who voted against FEMA relief before their states were battered. look for them to take credit for getting the funds to rebuild. Of course, it is a list of the usual suspects. It is important for the Dems to publish these lists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2024 2:26 AM

The storm behaved like a tsunami.

by Anonymousreply 26October 4, 2024 3:23 AM

Miss Lindsey does some cussing as she dialogues with Hannity on Fox. She’s mad and demands action. Hannity is aroused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2024 6:49 AM

Are 600+ people still missing? Lists like this are often whittled down as duplicates are eliminated and people are located. A complicating factor here is that a lot of cell phones got washed away unless people had them in hand or pocket.

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2024 7:50 AM

[quote] They'll never recover all the missing, some were swept out to sea.

Which sea?

by Anonymousreply 29October 4, 2024 11:46 AM

[quote] Hurricanes no longer get big press. They always hit the same places.

Hurricanes never hit western North Carolina. I am sorry for the devastation but I am reminded that residents of these areas are mostly the part of the electorate who support small federal government, no commercial regulation, no taxes and no "hand-outs."

Live by the sword...

by Anonymousreply 30October 4, 2024 11:53 AM

Biden won Asheville (Buncombe County) with 60% of the vote.

by Anonymousreply 31October 4, 2024 12:04 PM

Asheville is a liberal oasis, much like Austin is for Texas.

by Anonymousreply 32October 4, 2024 12:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 4, 2024 1:46 PM

I have friends in South Carolina through dog rescue. One of my friends has become a bit of a mini super hero. She was fortunate to be in a completely unaffected area.

When she saw no help for everyone else she started taking online donations to distribute. Because she's known as honest she got far more than she expected and it just hasn't stopped. So, she borrowed an 18 wheeler and her husband has an cdl license so she's been filling the truck and distributing through SC and is heading (repeatedly) to North Carolina (Asheville and the surrounding areas).

Just a grass roots rescue mission. Another friend, her son has a small plane and pilot license, he's transporting people in and out on his free time.

Also also, Brother Wolf rescue is still under water but still doing rescue.

by Anonymousreply 34October 4, 2024 4:31 PM

I’ve gone into the deep pit of a few instagram stories and comments and some people are actually blaming the government and that they planned this because of the lithium and quartz in them thar hills.

What the actual fuck?? What is Haarp? They’re mentioning that as well.

by Anonymousreply 35October 4, 2024 5:31 PM

[quote]Owner of impact plastics Gerald O’Connor, who let 6 employees die due to flooding in Hurricane Helene by telling them they’d be fired if they didn’t show up that day.

[quote]Hope the families sue him into debt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 4, 2024 6:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!