Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have You Seen Me Lately ? (1990)

Carly Simon released what some consider to be her best album in her career 34 years ago, on September 25, 1990. "Have You Seen Me Lately?" spent eight months on the Billboard Hot 200 Albums Chart, peaking at #60. It was her fifteenth studio album, and third she recorded under her 1987 Arista contract. All songs were written or co-written by Simon.

"Better Not Tell Her" was the opening track and the first single off the album, and became Simon's best-selling single of the 90s, as well as one of her best-selling AC singles. The record peaked at #4 on the AC chart, where it stayed for 21 weeks. The second single off the album was 'Holding Me Tonight' which peaked at #36 on the AC chart. Both singles had videos, which were played regularly on VH1. "Better Not Tell Her' was shot in Edgartown, MA on Jackie Kennedy's estate. (Neither single crossed over to the Hot 100 Singles Chart back then).

Music critic Stephen Holden of The New York Times, called the album "superb" and the title track "the album's most stunning moment".

Music critic (for All Music) William Ruhlmann rated the album three stars out of five: "Simon has always written songs for her age group; here, it's the fortysomethings of the 1990s. At the end, "We Just Got Here" provides the summer's-end metaphor for middle age."

To promote the album, Simon performed live on "Late Night With David Letterman" (singing the first two singles) in 1990, and performed live on "The Phil Donahue Show" in 1991, singing 'Happy Birthday' and 'Life Is Eternal'.

The song which will bring tears to your eyes - "We Just Got Here", the last track on the album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2024 2:54 AM

Her mouth has always freaked me out. She looks like she could rip out a throat without even trying.

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2024 2:32 AM

But boy can that mouth sing !

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2024 2:45 AM

I only like two of her songs, You're So Vain and Let the River Run.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2024 2:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!